JohnP

Do we really care about military and veterans?

Rate this topic

83 posts in this topic

12 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

whatever the solution is,

it seems heinous that we can allow someone to serve our country in the military,

then toss them out.

If you haven't gone through the naturalization process, don't commit felonies.  It's kind of simple.  We should help the guys who served, but they shouldn't get a free pass if they commit felonies. Leavenworth is full of guys who served and then did some pretty heinous stuff.  Those guys would probably take their chances in Mexico if they could. 

19 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

My brother was born a few weeks away from Obama had had his draft card.

Didn't look like Obama's.  Others saw the same thing and later proved Obamas was created on a word processor with a font not used by the government.

I enjoyed all the twisting and turning he did trying to weasel out of that one.

Jeez, there's no conspiracy you people won't believe.

There literally is no issue with Obama's registering for the draft. A quick google search shows that the Selective Service was asked, via a FOIA request, and they provided they info - "Mr. Obama did indeed register with Selective Service and was assigned Selective Service Number 61-1125539-1 on September 4, 1980."

The draft ended in '73. For the U.S. we were relatively at peace when Obama came of military age. It was a volunteer military at this point but you still had to register after your turned 18. There literally is no issue/scandal with his Selective Service registration.

And the birther issue is complete b.s. as well. Obama produced a short form birth certificate. The right wing complained. Obama provided a long form birth certificate. The right wing complained. There's a birth announcement in the archived Hawaiian news papers. The right wing complained. 

Edited by zak-striper

4 mins ago, MikeM58 said:

If you haven't gone through the naturalization process, don't commit felonies.  It's kind of simple.  

If someone was willing to die for our country, we shouldn't be in a rush to throw them out,

it's kinda simple......

it's also simple to SAY you support the military.....

so long as you don't have to do anything but offer platitudes.

Trump has done more for vets than Obama.  VA spending is up under Trump.  Bush Jr and Obama can be credited with creating many of the physical and mental problems that vets suffer with today.

But we don't do enough.  Our history is that we never do.  My grandfather was a WWI vet and he told me many times of the promises that were never kept.  Same with my father a WWII vet.

I was not drafted but am from the Vietnam era.  Those promises as well were not kept.

I'd rather shift a couple hundred million more of social spending to veterans benefits.

3 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

If someone was willing to die for our country, we shouldn't be in a rush to throw them out,

it's kinda simple......

it's also simple to SAY you support the military.....

so long as you don't have to do anything but offer platitudes.

Frank, the issue of deportation is pretty simple.  The reasons these guys do the things they do to get deported isn't.  Its two separate issues.  I believe some will use the deportations to bash Republicans.  They aren't doing anything to support these guys either.  Does keeping them in prison here make anything better than deporting them?

12 mins ago, zak-striper said:

Jeez, there's no conspiracy you people won't believe.

There literally is no issue with Obama's registering for the draft. A quick google search shows that the Selective Service was asked, via a FOIA request, and they provided they info - "Mr. Obama did indeed register with Selective Service and was assigned Selective Service Number 61-1125539-1 on September 4, 1980."

The draft ended in '73. For the U.S. we were relatively at peace when Obama came of military age. It was a volunteer military at this point but you still had to register after your turned 18. There literally is no issue/scandal with his Selective Service registration.

And the birther issue is complete b.s. as well. Obama produced a short form birth certificate. The right wing complained. Obama provided a long form birth certificate. The right wing complained. There's a birth announcement in the archived Hawaiian news papers. The right wing complained. 

Obama produced a fake card in an effort to show he was a US citizen.  He or his staff felt it was more expedient to fake it rather than be truthful.  The short form was likewise faked.  Again, more expedient than spending time getting the real long form.  Or admitting he didn't have his original draft card.  Once he put out the fake forms he dug in his heals until Trump forced him to get the real long form.  He caused much of his birther troubles himself.  (Again remember this issue was a Clinton creation.)

I never questioned his citizenship.  Persons born to US citizens are US citizens wherever they are born with a few noted exceptions.  McCain, Cruz, and arguably Obama were all born outside the US but are natural US citizens as children of US citizens.  (Obama was born in Hawaii but would still be a US citizen if born in Kenya to a mother with US citizenship.)

Edited by Steve_in_PA

5 hours ago, eddy said:

people mock those who say there is a "war on Christmas" or a "war on Thanksgiving"

well, there might not be a "war on veterans" day, but a good deal of people don't care about them, because they want to be good social justice warriors and fight the good fight against the past history of our country. 

What a crock.

31 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

He caused much of his birther troubles himself.

No he didn't. Whatever Clinton brought up about Obama's birth certificate died on the vine during the Democratic primaries.

The Racist-in-Chief, Fox, etc flamed the fires of birtherism, for the better part of 8 years, for one and one reason only, there are still a bunch of racist a-holes in the Republican base. Are all Republicans racist? No, but a lot of them still are. The whole point of the right wings' birtherism was to label Obama an outsider, not one of us, un-American, a Muslim, a foreigner etc. Hell, New Gingrinch, on Fox, went out of his way to call Obama a Muslim son of a Kenyan Luol Tribesman. Newt might as well of called him a n-word because that was the picture he was drawing with his deliberate choice of descriptions.

Edited by zak-striper

1 hour ago, MikeM58 said:

Frank, the issue of deportation is pretty simple.  The reasons these guys do the things they do to get deported isn't.  Its two separate issues.  I believe some will use the deportations to bash Republicans.  They aren't doing anything to support these guys either.  Does keeping them in prison here make anything better than deporting them?

I'm just stating it seems WRONG to deport a person who was in our military......

my stance is pretty simple too.

how about my other comments,

Republicans rode Trump's coat tails in bashing Kapernick and the NFL for troop spitting because of the knee......

meanwhile Trump actually screwed Veterans groups out of charity money and I didn't hear a peep out of you guys.

disrespecting the troops was allegedly enough to make people swear off the NFL forever,

but flat out swindling them isn't enough to get you guys to utter a peep against Trump.....

8 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

I'm just stating it seems WRONG to deport a person who was in our military......

Republicans rode Trump's coat tails in bashing Kapernick and the NFL for troop spitting because of the knee......

meanwhile Trump actually screwed Veterans groups out of charity money and I didn't hear a peep out of you guys.

disrespecting the troops was allegedly enough to make people swear off the NFL forever,

but flat out swindling them isn't enough to get you guys to utter a peep against Trump.....

I dont think he did screw vets out of charity money.  He just used the fundraiser to promote his campaign but the money went to charities.  

At least that's how I read it. 

2 mins ago, JimG said:

I dont think he did screw vets out of charity money.  He just used the fundraiser to promote his campaign but the money went to charities.  

That's what happened. 

7 mins ago, JimG said:

I'm trying to figure that out now too,

it seems that 5ish mill was raised, 2.8ish was retained by the foundation, and the balance was distributed to the veterans groups,

but the money retained by the foundation is in question......

16 mins ago, fish'nmagician said:

I honestly did not follow that charity story closely enough to make an intelligent comment on it.  Did you see Kapernick is getting an NFL tryout this weekend?  Several teams will be there.  Maybe the Redskins will take a flyer on him.  The knee thing did bug me.  Out the thousand ways to make a statement, that guy picked the one that might have been the dumbest, and he paid the price for it.  He should have just stayed in the tunnel to show his outrage at whatever it was he was outraged about,  Police bias against blacks right?  

48 mins ago, RiverRaider said:

I just assumed that you were misrepresenting the details but didn't want to spend the energy looking into it 

contrary to whatever you choose to believe if someone tells me I have a fact wrong I will look into it.