Dieseldog13

Wind knots

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

The last two years it seemed like every time the Albie’s or Bonito were on top I would look over at my son only to see him playing with a wind knot. He has PP 20# on his spinning reels. I switched this year to Suffix 832 20# and love it. I plan on getting him some Suffix 832  and wonder if he would have less wind knots if he went with 30# line. We fish spinning reels out of kayaks.

Ive found that you typically get more wind knots when your lure is too light for the pound test you are using...or the pound test is to high for the weight of the lure you're using..whatever way you want to look at it. If the line lays loose on the spool when you reel in, it then tangles on the cast. Also try to stay in contact with the lure when you reel it in so the line stays tight. With that some lines are more prone to wind knots.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Close bail by hand.  Avoid reeling on slack line

Check the line on reel for loops before you cast

Cast something heavy once in a while and reel in line with pressure on it.

Some reels are worse then others 

Edited by Captain Ahab

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

Close bail by hand.  Avoid reeling on slack line

Check the line on reel for loops before you cast.

Totally agree, it’s always operator error. On the yak tip wrap is another issue to watch for.

Edited by cheech

i found that when I would get a wind knot it was due to a loop in the line on the spool that gets line wound over it.  Next cast results in a wind knot mess.  After you cast and close the bail pull the line tight to the spool before you start reeling and you will very seldom if ever get a wind knot regardless of the reel the line or other conditions.  It gets to be something that you will do without thinking about it after a short time. 

Agree w Jim. Tightening the line by hand before reeling and checking for line laying on top of the drag knob should be second nature. Also agree with the loose line theory. I don't attribute it to wind most of the time. In either case, the outgoing line on a cast/drop catches the loose line and pulls it out prematurely. Twisted line is another story, so when fishing with something prone to spinning, I periodically check if my line is hypercoiling on itself and, if so,  clip the lure, let a bunch of line out and rewind a few times while applying pressure.

I’ve found that over spooling does it.  I agree with the others about too light a lure also.  Generally when the line is more than 1/8” from the spool edge I am ok

It could be a number of things. Some braid brands put

wax on there line and that helps. This is what I'm thinking.

does his cast have a big bow in it? Does he cast a little

higher than further. I'm thinking a lower angle is better. :)