gray gables

HVAC help

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Need some HVAC help please. Sorry, should have written my problem. I have a hydro air system in my house. Two systems, one for the first floor one for the second floor. The second air handler is located in my attic. Last year during a wicked cold snap the manifold split. My question is can the manifold be replaced or does the whole unit have to be replaced. System was put in in 2002. It has ac and the condenser is an American Standard. 

Edited by gray gables

30 mins ago, Scallywag said:

The heat exchanger? They are usually replaceable but I know my company suggests replacing the unit, due to cost. 

Might be the heat exchanger. Looks like a radiator to me. 

1 min ago, Scallywag said:

Yeah, that's the heat exchanger. 

Heat-Exchanger2.jpg

My heating guy said it’s called a water coil.? I’m not sure at all. I know 2 lines are hooked into it that come from the boiler in my basement. One supply line and one return line, both are done in pex tubing. Does that help at all? 

I'm not familiar with your system. I was figuring this was a forced air system. 

Your manifold is likely what's carrying the water. 

Just now, Scallywag said:

I'm not familiar with your system. I was figuring this was a forced air system. 

Your manifold is likely what's carrying the water. 

Hydro air system, buderus boiler. 

14 mins ago, Scallywag said:

I'm not sure if the system uses a manifold in the sense of how a boiler does. 

@ted527 should be able to help you. 

Yeah I’m hoping ted see’s this thread. Seems like he is an HVAC guru

Posted (edited) · Report post

Is the coil mounted in the air handler or is it a separate piece? If coil is only split in one place has anyone looked at it to repair? If only one crack and coil is copper I would peen it closed and silver solder it shut.

There are many options for repair or replacing just the coil if the rest of the system is in good shape.

post some pictures if you can

Edited by ted527

7 hours ago, ted527 said:

Is the coil mounted in the air handler or is it a separate piece? If coil is only split in one place has anyone looked at it to repair? If only one crack and coil is copper I would peen it closed and silver solder it shut.

There are many options for repair or replacing just the coil if the rest of the system is in good shape.

post some pictures if you can

Coil is mounted in the air handler. Talk to my original heating guy and he said it’s a water coil. I’m actually going to try new get it out today. It measures about 16 inches wide by 21 inches tall. 

See what it looks like when you get it out. Easy to repair if split is accessible. 
If not repairable, new coil may still be available or you could have one made. Would have been better to start this last spring.

9 mins ago, ted527 said:

See what it looks like when you get it out. Easy to repair if split is accessible. 
If not repairable, new coil may still be available or you could have one made. Would have been better to start this last spring.

Hoping to get it out and have a radiator shop repair the split.