Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Nov 13 - 30

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

The fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. This sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather together all reports into one common portal unit, making it for easy access, reporting, and referencing. 

This is the second year with this approach. Last year had great participation. This year is no different.

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us know. It all helps us educate to better fishing information better results on the water. 

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel we have today for a better successful fishing trip in the future.   

Keep those reports coming regardless. We'd all like to hear. 

Fishing trips start to drop this month. Less information shared, so I've open up the dates to finish till the rest of the month in December.

The season may have ended for some, continues for some hardcore jocks. We are still looking for reports.

It might be a good time too to express your concerns, ideas for this portal. Any constructive comments, anything you'd like to see change, new ideas, new directions?

Voice your opinions now. Was there any benefit during the season having this information in one portal. Let us all know.   

Went out yesterday from ~4-8pm. Rolled up thinking it was going to be a usual cold evening and maybe a rat at best.  Only to be proven wrong with 80-100 gannets+gulls crushing five/six different actively feeding blitzes. Picked up 3 legal fish nothing over 30".  But all healthy 24-27" fish almost every cast if not a bump every cast until I left them as the fingers started to go beyond numb on me, left fish busting on-top and slashing at bait right up until that point where I couldn't take the pain in my fingers anymore and called it a night.  Air temp was hoovering right in at 24 degrees 5-6mph steady wind out of the N-NW made it feel like 15, braid was so cold it was accumulating ice and the line roller on the VS was just an ice brick by the time I left. 

Good on you for even getting out there in those conditions. This is as late as ive fished the ri surf in some time. usually by now its either teeny tiny bass or skunks, and ive hung it up. but there are still fish and not all sublegal. so why not?

Just now, bdowning said:

Good on you for even getting out there in those conditions. This is as late as ive fished the ri surf in some time. usually by now its either teeny tiny bass or skunks, and ive hung it up. but there are still fish and not all sublegal. so why not?

I love fishing this time of year; the looks on the on-lookers at some of the more publicly visited beaches wondering how many screws are loose upstairs. The conversations amongst beach walkers and those who are curious especially as the rod is bent over. Its a different type of fishing for sure and wears on ones stamina much much quicker to say the least.  But as the long dreary days of winter set in I push for a bass every month like last year just to suffice the itch. Thanks for the kind words Bdowning. 

18 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

The fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. This sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather together all reports into one common portal unit, making it for easy access, reporting, and referencing. 

This is the second year with this approach. Last year had great participation. This year is no different.

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us know. It all helps us educate to better fishing information better results on the water. 

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel we have today for a better successful fishing trip in the future.   

Fishing trips start to drop this month. Less information shared, so I've open up the dates to finish till the rest of the month in December.

The season may have ended for some, continues for some hardcore jocks. We are still looking for reports.

It might be a good time too to express your concerns, ideas for this portal. Any constructive comments, anything you'd like to see change, new ideas, new directions?

Voice your opinions now. Was there any benefit during the season having this information in one portal. Let us all know.   

I really enjoy following these threads. Even when I can't make it down I like hearing what's going on. I also just like the old school fish reports. Reminds me of when fishing forums were fun places to share intell and fish stories.

Thanks for the post South Coast !  My season has been one with few chances to get out and seeing this, and your other posts has given me some hope,lol.

I had blocked out time to be in south county this weekend months ago, so I will be there no matter what the conditions.

Sort of figured it would be more a cruising the beach and scouting out future locations sort of a weekend, this gives me some ambition to find and pack my cold weather gear!

Wont ask where, but I would like to know what was working for you lure wise.

1 hour ago, riggler said:

Thanks for the post South Coast !  My season has been one with few chances to get out and seeing this, and your other posts has given me some hope,lol.

I had blocked out time to be in south county this weekend months ago, so I will be there no matter what the conditions.

Sort of figured it would be more a cruising the beach and scouting out future locations sort of a weekend, this gives me some ambition to find and pack my cold weather gear!

Try using a plain jig head with a soft plastic off the beach.  I’ve had success lately with a 1/2 to 1 oz jig head and slugo (6”) while other guys are telling me as they leave the beach that they haven’t had so much as one hit on topwater since they arrived.

Conditions permitting, I’ll be fishing the beach this weekend.

Edited by atlantictrader

2 hours ago, mikez2 said:

I really enjoy following these threads. Even when I can't make it down I like hearing what's going on. I also just like the old school fish reports. Reminds me of when fishing forums were fun places to share intell and fish stories.

One benefit I noticed  of this style portal of gathering information in one location, because of it's many contributors, the thread is always near the top of the forum. People see it all the time. It never gets buried. Therefore more people see it, contribute.  People don't forget about it.

2 hours ago, riggler said:

They loved any white swimmer presentations like the bone SP was a big hit along with a custom jointed 7" metal lip; I never even went for any soft rubber baits since the hard plastics were productive, but a buddy was and was nearly the same hook up ratio this being after dark; white top-water spooks and pencils no larger than 5" where also a hit for the larger fish during the dusk-sunset time-frame! This was a lower bay east facing beachfront not the usual super deep SW-W beachfront that is usually the "ticket" for this time of year. Just right in town which is a nice convenience factor for myself. 

Cheers and best of luck Riggler

-Chris.

Edited by SouthCoastSurfFishermen

On 11/13/2019 at 3:09 PM, Capt.Castafly said:

I like reading these reports because I can’t go fishing as often as I would like.  It’s nice to read about people catching in my local waters.

Would be great if you keep doing these next year.  Thanks for your effort in doing theses threads. 

Edited by rwilhelm

Plenty of fish tonight. Average size was mid to high teens, largest was 24". There was a lull after the first 4 fish, then moved onto a school with fish every cast to every other cast for 40-50 mins, until my jig hung up and I called it a night to get some food.

11-14-19.jpg

11-14-19_1.jpg

11-14-19_2.jpg

11-14-19_4.jpg

Interesting footnote.

The arctic blast which blew through over the past few days was the strongest November cold front in a century. Truly rare air.

What..if any.. effect did it have on SSTs and late fall bass behavior?

1) 1st, the temps.

Inshore(the shallows) cooled down rapidly. For example, the surface temps in Newport plunged all the way down to 42. 

5dce67c80479d_plot_met(16).png.dc7724df8b299d16d5bd694f0b91f09c.png

This means shallow bodies of water (like the ponds) dipped to similar temps on the outgoing tide.

But what about out front? Where deep (and still warm)ocean water mixed in with the rapidly cooling surface layer?

> The arctic blast didnt budge the needle whatsoever.

Here's Block Island buoy temps over the same time period. Much warmer, and much more stable.

5dce68daeca0b_plot_met(17).png.b71170811237ba57c5c5e1c5f97f4cf9.png

2) So, did the cold front send bass packing?

> Absolutely not.

My spot fished exactly the same way tonight, same fish around, same tide.

And I know many other anglers who caught just fine and dandy as well.

Summary:

Given that this was the strongest November cold front in over a century, I think we can put to rest the theory that a simple cold front will send bass packing in late fall.

Big storms? Maybe.

But definitely not fronts.

37 mins ago, rst3 said:

Interesting footnote.

The arctic blast which blew through over the past few days was the strongest November cold front in a century. Truly rare air.

What..if any.. effect did it have on SSTs and late fall bass behavior?

1) 1st, the temps.

Inshore(the shallows) cooled down rapidly. For example, the surface temps in Newport plunged all the way down to 42. 

5dce67c80479d_plot_met(16).png.dc7724df8b299d16d5bd694f0b91f09c.png

This means shallow bodies of water (like the ponds) dipped to similar temps on the outgoing tide.

But what about out front? Where deep (and still warm)ocean water mixed in with the rapidly cooling surface layer?

> The arctic blast didnt budge the needle whatsoever.

Here's Block Island buoy temps over the same time period. Much warmer, and much more stable.

5dce68daeca0b_plot_met(17).png.b71170811237ba57c5c5e1c5f97f4cf9.png

2) So, did the cold front send bass packing?

> Absolutely not.

My spot fished exactly the same way tonight, same fish around, same tide.

And I know many other anglers who caught just fine and dandy as well.

Summary:

Given that this was the strongest November cold front in over a century, I think we can put to rest the theory that a simple cold front will send bass packing in late fall.

Big storms? Maybe.

But definitely not fronts.

Always look forward to your educated hypothesis in conjunction to "theory" and majorities curiosity! Great observations RST! 

-Chris

Good info. Thanks

Backwater spot held a bunch of schoolies last pm, and absolutely HUGE shad.  Im shocked by the volume of bait still holding in the back water spot, by this time last year it was barren.  Small bait (silversides i think), peanuts up to 4-5", and lots of shad it looked like early fall not mid Nov.  Amazing how different this year is then last year, and last fall seemed warmer.  Lots more people still out fishing this year, was comical to watch as several groups rolled up couldnt catch and left as i had a steady pick.  People seem less and less inclined to sit and watch what someone having success is doing.  Was throwing small swim shad and fishing them low and slow.  Most people rolled up throwing plugs that are way to big for this time of year and retrieving them too fast, and they werent targeting large or would have been fishing somewhere else.

Got to work for a few hours then hitting the beach till have to get the kids off the bus.

Edited by Kooky