baldadonis2002

Results are in.....

Rate this topic

95 posts in this topic

2019 bluefish and striper season I ditched my leaders and tied direct to braid via a TA clip and the catch rate was on par with previous years ( and no it was not sucky for those who have a joke holstered and ready ).

 

My views are such that the direct to braid allowed me (personally) to become one with lure presentation, reduced weak links and added distance to my casts ...all personal observations.

 

My catch rate was good enough to feel that the predatory species I was pursuing were not very line shy.

 

Welcome your views  and   preference on leader material... or if you tie direct to braid as well?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fish jetties during fluke and bluefish season ( spring and summer ) -  have caught spanish and bonito on the setup I mention above ( leaderless ) direct to braid with a TA clip and a deadly dick no problem on blazing fast retrieve.

 

No albies - I get that word has it they have great eyesight and may be leader shy but I don't have enough encounters with them to change up.

 

Not poo pooing leaders...Im sure the majority use them, just curious and in fact you raise legit points

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, baldadonis2002 said:

2019 bluefish and striper season I ditched my leaders and tied direct to braid via a TA clip and the catch rate was on par with previous years ( and no it was not sucky for those who have a joke holstered and ready ).

 

My views are such that the direct to braid allowed me (personally) to become one with lure presentation, reduced weak links and added distance to my casts ...all personal observations.

 

My catch rate was good enough to feel that the predatory species I was pursuing were not very line shy.

 

Welcome your views  and   preference on leader material... or if you tie direct to braid as well?

 

I hope you aren't trying to advocate going leaderless.

 

Braid doesn't handle abrasion well at all....any impact with structure and it's an almost immediate game over.

Good luck casting lures that tumble and spin or skip on the surface......have fun un fouling the braid wrapped in the rings and hooks.

Good luck leadering large fish without a leader.

And I wish you even more luck leadering your catch in the rain when you're hooking fish after fish.....

 

Good luck with that.  

 

 

 

Bluefish would cut you off before you even felt them had they hit above the plug which happens a ton.

Along with other blues competing for what's in it's mouth

 

Going leaderless is not a good idea for stripers/ bluefish.  Regardless of catch rate.

 

Additionally the reduced weak link aspect....is a MYTH.  In my entire lifetime I've never experiences a weak link failure...just tie good terminal knots

 

ANd if you don't like the extra hardware....

Tie a PR knot or an FG knot and your braid will be stronger than if you tied direct. to the lure.

 

Distance increases are barely perceivable unless on a measured field.

 

There is no reason to go braid direct in any situation beach or boat for stripers and blues.

 

 

In freshwater I do it all the time...and it excels in many situations throwing a multitude of presentations....but that's a different discussion altogether.

 

 

 

Sorry.....it had to be said....

If you didn't experience any of the issues mentioned....I find it hard to believing you put in the time you claim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

I hope you aren't trying to advocate going leaderless.

 

Braid doesn't handle abrasion well at all....any impact with structure and it's an almost immediate game over.

Good luck casting lures that tumble and spin or skip on the surface......have fun un fouling the braid wrapped in the rings and hooks.

Good luck leadering large fish without a leader.

And I wish you even more luck leadering your catch in the rain when you're hooking fish after fish.....

 

Good luck with that.  

 

 

 

Bluefish would cut you off before you even felt them had they hit above the plug which happens a ton.

Along with other blues competing for what's in it's mouth

 

Going leaderless is not a good idea for stripers/ bluefish.  Regardless of catch rate.

 

Additionally the reduced weak link aspect....is a MYTH.  In my entire lifetime I've never experiences a weak link failure...just tie good terminal knots

 

ANd if you don't like the extra hardware....

Tie a PR knot or an FG knot and your braid will be stronger than if you tied direct. to the lure.

 

Distance increases are barely perceivable unless on a measured field.

 

There is no reason to go braid direct in any situation beach or boat for stripers and blues.

 

 

In freshwater I do it all the time...and it excels in many situations throwing a multitude of presentations....but that's a different discussion altogether.

 

 

 

Sorry.....it had to be said....

If you didn't experience any of the issues mentioned....I find it hard to believing you put in the time you claim.

Image result for thinking meme

All good points, needing to grab the leader is the biggest factor for me, my hands would be bloody every outing without it.

Edited by nateD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Sorry.....it had to be said....

If you didn't experience any of the issues mentioned....I find it hard to believing you put in the time you claim.

He did, you see the size of the blowfish he's holding.  Monsta I tell ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hobobob said:

He did, you see the size of the blowfish he's holding.  Monsta I tell ya.

Speaking of size..odds are your adorable little size 6 boot korker standing next to that bluefish would probably imply you are a little 5 foot nothing pudge ball that I would happily smack the sheet out of making comments like that..... but I digress.

 

Please I beg of you with sincerity - don't type what your little size 6 can't back up

 

@ Scooby... incredibly valid points, but mono leaders have had there share of issues as well ( never got into the flouro game ) -  but 'yes' ..for some applications I am implying leaderless is fine.  Is it one size fits all ... nothing is.

 

@ nate - other than the comfort of the band wagon... I wear gloves ( because of the braid ) - so bloody hands ...not bloody likely

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 mins ago, baldadonis2002 said:

Speaking of size..odds are your adorable little size 6 boot korker standing next to that bluefish would probably imply you are a little 5 foot nothing pudge ball that I would happily smack the sheet out of making comments like that..... but I digress.

 

Please I beg of you with sincerity - don't type what your little size 6 can't back up

 

@ Scooby... incredibly valid points, but mono leaders have had there share of issues as well ( never got into the flouro game ) -  but 'yes' ..for some applications I am implying leaderless is fine.  Is it one size fits all ... nothing is.

 

@ nate - other than the comfort of the band wagon... I wear gloves ( because of the braid ) - so bloody hands ...not bloody likely

Wow big man. I am shaking in my size 6 boots. You have issues, get help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a newish fisherman with years of internet knowledge trying to change the game with something nobody's ever tried before which isn't true it has been tried and is obviously not recommended. ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I prefer a robust leader materiel for landing purposes alone, if I have to hand line a fish up a rock or embankment, no stretch micro braid would play havoc on my hands.  As stated tho, that three foot leader goes a long way in abrasion related breaks as well.

Edited by DeepBlue85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.