Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Reed422

Predicting Ideal Photography Times

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Reed imho scenics do best with some clouds........ clear blue skies just do not draw visual appeal .... also if shooting moving water cloud cover helps get you long exposures. 

in short all weather is a vital part of scenics and need to be considered just as much as where to shoot and when

17 hours ago, Jim DE said:

Reed imho scenics do best with some clouds........ clear blue skies just do not draw visual appeal .... also if shooting moving water cloud cover helps get you long exposures. 

in short all weather is a vital part of scenics and need to be considered just as much as where to shoot and when

It's funny the more I read, watch videos, post on forums/fb, I realize that photography is a lot like fishing. You can read all the books you want but there is no substitute for time on the water or time behind the lens. I did a paid baby shower of the weekend, my first event photography. It made me realize, I better get better at landscape photography lol.

On 11/14/2019 at 9:30 AM, Reed422 said:

What weather do you look for?

I like foul weather better than cloudless days. I'm usually looking for mood and like B&W images. I especially like windy cloud filled nights for movement i the sky on long exposures. Besides that, blue & golden hours..

Reed get the TPE app then find a spot that catches your eye..... decide what specific characteristics would make that location pop  in a photo. TPE will give you sun and moon rise and set times and the directions of each at the location you have selected. Correlate weather forecasts with the light you want to take the shot with and hike in and wait for all the pieces to come together take your shots using various f stops and exposure times. I often carry a iPad and link it to my camera so I have even a larger view of what the camera is capturing. I often will take stacked and or stitched exposure techniques to give myself even a greater chance of creating a image I am looking for. This stuff takes time and planning both on location and home behind a keyboard but the end results are more that worth the time and effort

11 hours ago, Jim DE said:

Reed get the TPE app then find a spot that catches your eye..... decide what specific characteristics would make that location pop  in a photo. TPE will give you sun and moon rise and set times and the directions of each at the location you have selected. Correlate weather forecasts with the light you want to take the shot with and hike in and wait for all the pieces to come together take your shots using various f stops and exposure times. I often carry a iPad and link it to my camera so I have even a larger view of what the camera is capturing. I often will take stacked and or stitched exposure techniques to give myself even a greater chance of creating a image I am looking for. This stuff takes time and planning both on location and home behind a keyboard but the end results are more that worth the time and effort

Hey Jim, I got the TPE app it looks a bit complicated to use but I'll try it out this weekend. I like the idea of the ipad. Thanks again.