libertyminded

Squan rocks keep off??

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

I don't really have a side on this debate but I can understand the arguments made both. It really sucks when people get hurt and killed and it is a natural human reaction to try and stop something like this from happening again. Accidents on that jetty are inevitable. They are going to happen as long as people are allowed to walk out there. I know how hazardous that jetty is and do not go out there. I would not feel bad if people were not allowed out there because the risk is not worth it. I know people should have the freedom to take risks and that the government should not have the power to take control over everything we do but sometimes people need to be protected from themselves. This is the very same argument that can be made for smoking or riding a motorcycle without a helmet. If you want the freedom to take those risks that's all good. But unfortunately the consequences of those risks are paid by others. Lives of rescue workers are put in danger. Time and resources are consumed from the medical system which then drives the cost of medical care up for everyone....No easy answers here.

Does anyone get sued when an accident on the jetty happens? It's a protect everyone society these days so it's no surprise. I won't go on jetties anyway but I hate seeing stuff taken from people.

53 mins ago, hurricane1091 said:

Does anyone get sued when an accident on the jetty happens? It's a protect everyone society these days so it's no surprise. I won't go on jetties anyway but I hate seeing stuff taken from people.

I don't know for sure if anyone gets sued when accidents on that jetty occur, but being that this is New Jersey, I would bet pretty heavy on it.

Ive been fishing here for the past almost entire year lately as fish such as Albies, Spanish Macks, Bonitos etc have been popping up more frequently. Once these kind of pictures hit the internet you better believe that a whole variety of fisherman will pouring in and out of the inlets almost everyday. When I do target these various species at the inlet you better believe that i've seen my fair share of incidents happen at that inlet this past year. I've seen people fall on their a** while fishing off these rocks alone. The Jacks are another story, The flat and smooth rocks at the end getting splashed by water and having natural growth making it more slipperier by the second makes it a recipe for disaster in it of itself. People that come to this inlet don't take in the dangers of the Jacks and by personal experiences they are terrifying at times. Carelessness is the main cause of death at this inlet, it shocks me how people think they can go on these rocks so confidently without realizing the dangers right under their feet! However, it's not just fisherman, lately more tourists and kids have been coming for vacation during the summer, crowding the inlet. Tourists don't understand the dangers within the inlet (Ex. Recent death was a foreigner from Canada) and i've seen kids climb the light tower near the jacks. It's acts like these that get places shut down for people like us who acknowledge the dangers and take the extra precautions. The idea of closing off the inlet is ludicrous as many use it for recreation and the fish that we ever so much love catching on them rocks. In my honest opinion, everything is a lawsuit in America, events like these only fuel the need for the government to completely shut down the inlet entirely. And if anybody does plan to head out on these rocks keep in mind no fish is worth dying for no matter how special or how big it is. Also, as talked about in recent threads here, everybody should understand that Korkers are definitely not the best to be wearing on those rocks specifically because of how smooth it is, the best footwear for these rocks is just going barefoot. As for everyone reading this, people even as young as me should still understand the dangers and it is in your best interest to just stay off the rocks before another incident occurs again.

32 mins ago, Sheisty said:

I have yet to catch a bass, blue, albie off a jetty. 

I was massacring blues on those rocks in the spring. I'll be back on them next year, f that sign

Big blues in the spring and early summer . I’ve caught bass , fluke ,blackfish, sea bass, dogfish and weakfish.  Put up some signs explaining the dangers to visitors. Don’t need or want big brother to restrict access because of some people’s carelessness. Someone drowns swimming in the ocean we don’t shut the ocean down. Someone gets killed driving on the parkway we don’t shut the highways down.   Common sense is something that is lacking .

On 11/21/2019 at 11:24 AM, jetty eddy said:

20191121_105011.jpg

So this is basically just a sign posted by beach officals. There are no fines or anything mentioned like that on the sign. Is it just a warning of dangers on jetty or is someone policing it telling people to get off in person?

Just now, chewy2000913 said:

So this is basically just a sign posted by beach officals. There are no fines or anything mentioned like that on the sign. Is it just a warning of dangers on jetty or is someone policing it telling people to get off in person?

No one is gonna run you off that rock pile. They felt the need to post that sign after the guy died

4 hours ago, Haycreekrambler said:

No one is gonna run you off that rock pile. They felt the need to post that sign after the guy died

I'm no lawyer but I imagine it gives them some protection and the ability to say that they at least tried to stop people

11 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

I'm no lawyer but I imagine it gives them some protection and the ability to say that they at least tried to stop people

That's exactly what I thought

23 hours ago, Bluetaildragger said:

I agree.. no town ordinance cited.. stern warning/cya on part of town.

On 11/30/2019 at 11:40 AM, chewy2000913 said:

As pointed out no ordinance on it yet. See if anything on township docket. Secondly individual may have been an immigrant from a foreign country was he able to read English