libertyminded

Squan rocks keep off??

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, MorningWood said:

While I generally agree with the sentiment of your statement. I seriously doubt the internet had anything to do with people discovering the Manasquan Jetty as a fishing location.

Not exactly what I'm saying. Clearly squan is a popular spot, a good one too, but that place has been a zoo the past two summers / early fall. That place has been plastered on YouTube and every single social media site on a daily basis with pictures and videos of the spanish, bones, and albies by the same group of guys. I don't fish there a lot, but I've fished there enough over the years to see the huge uptick in people fishing there (for those specific species).

It is what it is, but at the end of the day, the more people that go, the higher likely hood that stuff like this happens. I hate to sound so cynical, but anytime we lose access to good fishing spots, it's frustrating. End rant.

Edited by anystripe

7 hours ago, Gatr522 said:

As discussed before-the jacks should be off limits.

That's the type of thinking that got the Jerry closed.  

I said so in the original thread where all the arm chair quarterbacks started spouting this nonsense.  

Nothing should be closed, proceed with caution.  Accidents happen every day in every scenario.  Be careful what you ask for.  

13 mins ago, ChumSlickJon said:

That's the type of thinking that got the Jerry closed.  

I said so in the original thread where all the arm chair quarterbacks started spouting this nonsense.  

Nothing should be closed, proceed with caution.  Accidents happen every day in every scenario.  Be careful what you ask for.  

Agree with the bold- and I certainly don't wish for more access to be closed -especially for careless people. 

Not sure how to square that with "nothing should be closed" 

Posted (edited) · Report post

fished jetty 5 straight night last week why i was on vacation. had no issue at all. spoke to local pd while in the parking lot and he said it was put up because of the recent death. must be  a liability issue.

Edited by fishunt727

9 hours ago, adams54 said:

Why do people on this forum keep saying that? Its spreading bad ideas. Just stop. All on mere speculation and zero facts. Furthermore it absolutely sucks that because some elderly foreign national took foolish risk and paid the ultimate price we citizens have to deal with the consequences ie restricted access to our waterways, danger to first responders, etc. 

Doesn't it put first responders at risk when you go out there too, even though you aren't from Canada?  Not sure the relevance.  Maybe you should post up next to that sign and check passports (that would be a restriction on our waters btw).

The sign is the restriction.  Fight that if you're actually for less restriction

36 mins ago, Bluetaildragger said:

Doesn't it put first responders at risk when you go out there too, even though you aren't from Canada?  Not sure the relevance.  Maybe you should post up next to that sign and check passports (that would be a restriction on our waters btw).

The sign is the restriction.  Fight that if you're actually for less restriction

Ive never put first responders at risk there bc Ive never cracked my head on the rocks. Point is local guys like me that know the rocks are gonna have to pay the price. Check passports? Thats cute...out of curiosity do you spend any time out there?

15 mins ago, adams54 said:

Ive never put first responders at risk there bc Ive never cracked my head on the rocks. Point is local guys like me that know the rocks are gonna have to pay the price. Check passports? Thats cute...out of curiosity do you spend any time out there?

I hop jetties all over this state including that one.  and when I’m out there at midnight I know that if I don’t make it home that night, people I’ve never even met are going to come looking.  The risks I take are pretty directly related to their risks.  I’m not saying you shouldn’t go out there and I sure as hell still am

Whoah! This got heated. 

I fished the other side of the Manasquan inlet (point Pleasant Beach IIRC), and most of the jetties south to Cape May Point. Some are worse than others, and all carry the risk of blunt force trauma and/or drowning. 

Because of those jacks shaped rocks, those manasquan inlet jetties are particularly risky for falling into those deep holes and getting your bones smashed. Hitting water clean, with a chance of floating or swimming away, is the best case scenario there.

(That’s not the case say in Avalon where I’d rather have a fighting chance of clawing my way back up. )

Anyway, I think we’re all in agreement that jetties offer danger and fish holding environments to fellow citizens and everyone else. ;-).

Personally, I like a good “Danger keep off rocks” sign just to get the blood flowing as I walk past it to go fishing anyway. 

Remeber Joisey is filled with "sue happy" lawyers and is the prominent reason why these things happen. No more personal responsibility. The nanny sate at is best.

45 mins ago, achez said:

Remeber Joisey is filled with "sue happy" lawyers and is the prominent reason why these things happen. No more personal responsibility. The nanny sate at is best.

Dont forget the judges that allow it.

I also took notice of the sign recently, took it as a fish at your own risk kind of think. Had a conversation with a cop gearing down. Must have been a fisherman cause, he was trying to get Intel about how the fishing had been in the area. 

Manasquan also posted signs on the beach where the wooden groins are located because someone got hurt. The groin to the left of riddle way is normally visable and  most times the 1 to the left of the small jetty (which sometimes) is submerged itself. There is 1 to the right of the riddle jetty that rarely shows itself.