libertyminded

Squan rocks keep off??

Rate this topic

44 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Big sign posted at foot of jetty. Fall out from Unfortunate death? Was going to take pic phone was dead from cold. Bummer and a sign of the times to come..

Edited by libertyminded

Posted (edited) · Report post

Visited the pocket there Sunday night. People were on the rocks. I didn't notice a sign but I took the path to the sand.

I hope that they don't close the jetties. It usually only takes one reckless or unfortunate accident to close something down. 

That happened to the ferry rocks in Lewes decades ago.

The liability/legal biz is over the top now- so they shut down......everything.

My entire life,up until about 15-20 years ago, was full of opportunity to collect/metal detect severe storm erosion- bulldozed buildings or historical sites-cleared rural & home sites and working quarry sites on weekends.  Every one now posted & illegal to go near because of careless or reckless people. Same with fishing access.

Inlet. As discussed before-the jacks should be off limits. The rest should be open to people responsible to their own risk.

People get injured & die on-PAY to enter beaches on a regular basis. 

Edited by Gatr522

Nothing really new here unfortunately.  there are more and more spots either closed, or no parking, or preventing us from fishing, as if fishing was a crime..........

4 mins ago, pioneeratsea said:

Nothing really new here unfortunately.  there are more and more spots either closed, or no parking, or preventing us from fishing, as if fishing was a crime..........

They just passed a bill opening more spots that were closed to public access. Search the site and you will find it. Wasnt long ago.

3 hours ago, Goldy said:

Im expecting a fence soon

Why do people on this forum keep saying that? Its spreading bad ideas. Just stop. All on mere speculation and zero facts. Furthermore it absolutely sucks that because some elderly foreign national took foolish risk and paid the ultimate price we citizens have to deal with the consequences ie restricted access to our waterways, danger to first responders, etc. 

Havnt seen the sign yet, I live close but don't fish/surf squan that often... but its no surprise. but totally not cool.

They should have put an "at your own risk" sign instead.

Very Very sadly there have been tragedies there in the past... so much so that years ago (im unsure of the present) the local ems would perform regular drills for saving ppl on the rocks  

I saw that sign a couple weeks ago and I thought it was just an old sign that everyone ignored. Hell with all the sand replenishment you can almost walk to the jetty tip on the Squan side now.

the more people blow these spots up on social media and youtube, the more these spots are going to see increased traffic, which will lead to unfortunate crap like this. what happened is extremely unfortunate, and accidents do happen, but the with the amount of people hopping around on those jacks the past two summers, I'm surprised there hasn't been more accidents.

34 mins ago, anystripe said:

the more people blow these spots up on social media and youtube, the more these spots are going to see increased traffic, which will lead to unfortunate crap like this. what happened is extremely unfortunate, and accidents do happen, but the with the amount of people hopping around on those jacks the past two summers, I'm surprised there hasn't been more accidents.

While I generally agree with the sentiment of your statement. I seriously doubt the internet had anything to do with people discovering the Manasquan Jetty as a fishing location.

5 hours ago, Gatr522 said:

It usually only takes one reckless or unfortunate accident to close something down. 

A guy slipped hit his head and died last month on those rocks, I suspect the result is the new sign.