sheddercrab

Rod blank input request

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

OK …..  here’s the deal.  Capt. Dan wants to build his grown son (30) a rod for Christmas.  So I'm shopping for a quality blank. 

I’ve been fishing saltwater for 50 years and have built 6 rods in the past. .  .  No pro but just enough knowledge to be dangerous.

I realize that my goal would be best served as a TWO rod application but entertain me a bit here.

My objective is a rod (blank) that will be sensitive enough to wreck fish 4-8 oz for Sea Bass, Tautog etc. but have the balls to drag Mojo’s around for 20 – 40 lb. bass on the troll.    I know ……   I  know.

Any thoughts on blank options or otherwise are appreciated.

Thanks ..............  Capt. Dan

Edited by sheddercrab

Blackfish rod = Rodgeeks AC 732 or 733, if you want an 8' go with the 803
Mojo rod = Rodgeeks XC 806 for an 8', or a 736 for 7'

I assume you are in NJ, if you want to chek these blanks out GRumpy's i Seaside has them in stock, I'm going to be down there tomorrow showing them the new ROdgeeks XC High Mod prototypes. I designed the ROdgeeks XC blanks so if you wanted to discuss we can do that.

I don't think you'll be able to get a blank that could do both. The XComps are excellent blanks for blackfishing. I have a 732 I love and am building an 803 for more of an all around blackfish rod. Highly recommended. 

6 hours ago, sheddercrab said:

Might just do that.  I'm near Atlantic City

I'm going to be there from about noon - 6 tomorrow. I'm also going to be delivering an 803 that I built for someone who lives near AC. Let me know if you come up

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, Billy 40 said:

Blackfish rod = Rodgeeks AC 732 or 733, if you want an 8' go with the 803
Mojo rod = Rodgeeks XC 806 for an 8', or a 736 for 7'

I assume you are in NJ, if you want to chek these blanks out GRumpy's i Seaside has them in stock, I'm going to be down there tomorrow showing them the new ROdgeeks XC High Mod prototypes. I designed the ROdgeeks XC blanks so if you wanted to discuss we can do that.

Don't want to highjack the thread but I have been looking for a blank to match to a stradic 5000 with 30lb braid for general nearshore/inlet fishing here in South Carolina. That means throwing artificials (under 2oz) to bull reds, cobia, jacks, etc. I will also occasionally live bait as well never more than 5oz of lead (90% of the time under 3 oz). I want something that is lite enough to match the reel but still plenty of power. I am considering two blanks C2SW76HF or XC73. I am having a hard figuring out which on to go with. Which one would you recommend? If I held them both what would I notice? When would prefer the XC over the C2SW?

Thanks

I looked for a way to PM you but did not see an option.

Edited by Josh_y

34 mins ago, Josh_y said:

I hate PM's, rather questions be posted like this so everyone can see my answer. I've sold quite a bit of XC 3 & 4 powers for Cobia, Drum etc in Va & NC, as well as for Tarpon, Snook in SW Florida. THere is a tremendous amounnt of power in the ass end of these blanks, if you happen to hook into a true giant and need to pull the fish in, you will not have any issue with these. But even with a smaller and normal sized fish, teh rod is made so that you're not fishing with a broomstick adn not enjoying fishing with them. AS far as casting goes, the blank has Carbon and S Glass, so it will cast a wide range of weights, and if you need to fish the upper end of the ratings and a little bit beyond them, you will not have an issue - due to teh glass.

The 76HF is a nice rod as well, if you have a tackle shop it is a St Croix Mojo INshore factory rod. THis rod has a stiffer tip, as it's made with all carbon. THe ratings on the rod are accurate, so if you are fishing the upper end and beyond, it will not perform too good. THe XC comparable blank to this is the 732, 15-25# rating.

WHat you will notice right away, is the XC blanks have a much larger diameter - the back 1/3rd of the blank has a straight taper, this is what give it its tremendous power and casting distance, the negative to this is if you are building a spin rod with split grips and a short back grip, or if you are adding a lot of weight in front of teh foregrip with artwork

)(excessivly long Dec Wraps, etc) - the rod can be a bit tip heavy.  The blank weights are within a 1/2oz apart, which imo is negligible.

2 hours ago, Billy 40 said:

I hate PM's, rather questions be posted like this so everyone can see my answer. I've sold quite a bit of XC 3 & 4 powers for Cobia, Drum etc in Va & NC, as well as for Tarpon, Snook in SW Florida. THere is a tremendous amounnt of power in the ass end of these blanks, if you happen to hook into a true giant and need to pull the fish in, you will not have any issue with these. But even with a smaller and normal sized fish, teh rod is made so that you're not fishing with a broomstick adn not enjoying fishing with them. AS far as casting goes, the blank has Carbon and S Glass, so it will cast a wide range of weights, and if you need to fish the upper end of the ratings and a little bit beyond them, you will not have an issue - due to teh glass.

The 76HF is a nice rod as well, if you have a tackle shop it is a St Croix Mojo INshore factory rod. THis rod has a stiffer tip, as it's made with all carbon. THe ratings on the rod are accurate, so if you are fishing the upper end and beyond, it will not perform too good. THe XC comparable blank to this is the 732, 15-25# rating.

WHat you will notice right away, is the XC blanks have a much larger diameter - the back 1/3rd of the blank has a straight taper, this is what give it its tremendous power and casting distance, the negative to this is if you are building a spin rod with split grips and a short back grip, or if you are adding a lot of weight in front of teh foregrip with artwork

)(excessivly long Dec Wraps, etc) - the rod can be a bit tip heavy.  The blank weights are within a 1/2oz apart, which imo is negligible.

Thanks I appreciate you giving your time to answer my questions, I must have messed up while typing I meant the 732. 

8 hours ago, Josh_y said:

I meant the 732. 

The same applies, teh 732 has more than enough power for what you are doing. HEre is cideo of me testing the new 732 high mod,. THis rod in teh video is too fast and I asked ROdgeks to make it bend more - the current 732 bends more than this

On 11/13/2019 at 6:59 AM, Billy 40 said:

The same applies, teh 732 has more than enough power for what you are doing. HEre is cideo of me testing the new 732 high mod,. THis rod in teh video is too fast and I asked ROdgeks to make it bend more - the current 732 bends more than this

Will there be an 8' hm too?

On 11/12/2019 at 2:01 PM, FisherMan120 said:

I don't think you'll be able to get a blank that could do both. The XComps are excellent blanks for blackfishing. I have a 732 I love and am building an 803 for more of an all around blackfish rod. Highly recommended. 

Yes  ............ deep down... (no pun intended) I know it's a 2 rod application.   ....   I settled on the 735 and I really like  the action.  I figure he can use it to troll Bass in the river as they are rare over 34" in the back.  Also will cover wreck fishing out front, bunker chunking and live bait fishing at bridges.  Draggin them friggin Mojo's is an application of its own, but man do they work.  That's why I am ordering a 736 also for me !  8-)   ...........Thanks for the input

On 11/16/2019 at 7:51 AM, sheddercrab said:

Thanks for the input

Glad you found what you were looking for. I look forward to seeing some of the fish you catch with these in the coming year. We will be doing a rod building event at GRumpy's teh first Saturday in February. I will be posting info in here when we have more details ironed out.

On 11/12/2019 at 7:14 PM, Josh_y said:

Don't want to highjack the thread but I have been looking for a blank to match to a stradic 5000 with 30lb braid for general nearshore/inlet fishing here in South Carolina. That means throwing artificials (under 2oz) to bull reds, cobia, jacks, etc. I will also occasionally live bait as well never more than 5oz of lead (90% of the time under 3 oz). I want something that is lite enough to match the reel but still plenty of power. I am considering two blanks C2SW76HF or XC73. I am having a hard figuring out which on to go with. Which one would you recommend? If I held them both what would I notice? When would prefer the XC over the C2SW?

Thanks

Check out the Century Weapon and Weapon Jr.  The Weapon will cast 3/8 to 2.5oz, the Jr 1/4 to 1.75oz.

Both light and very sensitive with tons of bottom end power to handle big fish. They come in 7', 7 1/2' and 8'

On 11/17/2019 at 8:21 AM, AFMike said:

Check out the Century Weapon and Weapon Jr.  The Weapon will cast 3/8 to 2.5oz, the Jr 1/4 to 1.75oz.

Both light and very sensitive with tons of bottom end power to handle big fish. They come in 7', 7 1/2' and 8'

Sounds interesting, I was trying to looking into it but only saw completed weapon rods. Do sell just the blank?

4 mins ago, Josh_y said:

Sounds interesting, I was trying to looking into it but only saw completed weapon rods. Do sell just the blank?

Yes, they are available in both a built rod or blanks.