bob_G

This old rock

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

I must have been by this rock 100 times in my life while hunting before finally noticing it.

Another town boundary with yearly dates carved in it.  Notice the lower dates go back to the early 1800s.

IMG_20191112_083528.jpg

That's a cool rock!

Is there a purpose for the dates?

Do they resurvey the boundary every few years or something?   Since at least 1823 it looks like?

4 mins ago, pogie_boy said:

That's a cool rock!

Do they resurvey the boundary every few years or something?   Since at least 1823 it looks like?

No idea?  Years ago I found another, much larger one a mile away. Must have had 30 years worth of dates inscribed in it.  I'll try and get a photo in the next couple days.

31 mins ago, bob_G said:

I must have been by this rock 100 times in my life while hunting before finally noticing it.

Another town boundary with yearly dates carved in it.  Notice the lower dates go back to the early 1800s.

IMG_20191112_083528.jpg

Depending on where you were, those boundries could have been layed by HD Thoreau of Walden fame. He was a famous surveyor in his day. He worked mostly near Concord and did private land but you never know...

I walk the same woods as he did and always wonder if a stone wall boundary was plotted by him.

On a related note, I saw an original hand drawn survey of an individual private plot offered for sale for $40,000.

1 min ago, mikez2 said:

Depending on where you were, those boundries could have been layed by HD Thoreau of Walden fame. He was a famous surveyor in his day. He worked mostly near Concord and did private land but you never know...

I walk the same woods as he did and always wonder if a stone wall boundary was plotted by him.

On a related note, I saw an original hand drawn survey of an individual private plot offered for sale for $40,000.

I'll sell you this rock for $20,000.

My wife brought home a box of old deeds from her Great, great, great grandfather's house that they are now selling.

The oldest deed we've found so far dates back to 1731.  What do you think we could get for it?

There's a pile of them.    All in iron gall ink.

Posted (edited) · Report post

35 mins ago, bassturds said:

Pretty cool. Love the history.  Tons of old stone walls in the middle of the woods! I heard you could find some cool stuff inside them 

Oh yeah, if you learn to view the land the way it was, you can figure out where the trash piles were. Often you find them at the corner of a stone wall.

Around here, that is an obvious place for bottle hunters and most have been found and dug up. That's why you see old trash and broken glass strewn about. A lot of that stuff got dug up in the 60s and 70s when it was a fad. Today the forest overgrown the throw piles of those old diggers so it's hard to see it. If you look real close, you can find a few small things missed or intentionally left behind by those diggers of the past.

This 100 year old ink well came from a wall.

59729930_10216464387155799_1168329291759353856_o.jpg

Edited by mikez2

45 mins ago, bob_G said:

I'll sell you this rock for $20,000.

Haha, seriously, if somehow it could be proved Thoreau carved a date in it, I bet it would be worth at least that much.

3 hours ago, pogie_boy said:

….

Do they resurvey the boundary every few years or something?  

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

No idea?  

I'm guessing that is an "active" municipal/town boundary marker as opposed to that of a private land owner.

From what I've read, years ago, many town boundary's were periodically verified by visits and the date of the visit was carved into the stone.  However in more recent years, said visits were noted by spray painting the year on the stone.  

1 min ago, Joe G said:

I'm guessing that is an "active" municipal/town boundary marker as opposed to that of a private land owner.

From what I've read, years ago, many town boundary's were periodically verified by visits and the date of the visit was carved into the stone.  However in more recent years, said visits were noted by spray painting the year on the stone.  

That makes sense Joe. And yes, some of the more recent dates are painted on. But I know of one rock that has 75 dates inscribed on it. 

So my question is, to what purpose? The land doesn't shift, thus changing town lines. At one time did unscrupulous town father's clandestinely move boundaries to steal land from a neighboring town?

3 mins ago, bob_G said:

That makes sense Joe. And yes, some of the more recent dates are painted on. But I know of one rock that has 75 dates inscribed on it. 

So my question is, to what purpose? The land doesn't shift, thus changing town lines. At one time did unscrupulous town father's clandestinely move boundaries to steal land from a neighboring town?

Google is my friend on this one, Bob.

During colonial periods and for many decades thereafter, town officials from adjoining towns would both join together and walk their shared town boundaries and chisel the date of their visit in the stone.  In doing so each would be assured the boundary was not tampered with.  Looks like 15 years between the 1868 and 1853 visits.  Could be the earlier date was 1838?  Maybe they did this every15 years or so.

In some communities that tradition between adjoining towns continues to today, where with spray painting the date replaces the chiseled date.

That stone doesn't appear to be granite....yes? 

24 mins ago, Joe G said:

You are correct Joe, I remember my father, as a selectman, walking the bounds with the other board members as part tradition and part state law.  In todays world the bounds are verified by GPS and noted as such.  Property owners were known to move the markers for their own good.  In western Mass. gun barrels were often used for property markers because they were available at little or no cost from the Springfield Armory.

PS they dates were etched in stone for verification that they were in the right place...……...