john1234

Storing you’re Van Staal in the off season

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I’ve had my VSX 150 for 2 years and due to my employment only fish 2 weeks in the early summer and 2 weeks in the fall....During that time I dunk the reel frequently but never really crank under water......before I store it for the winter I strip the line and wash it thoroughly with fresh water then after it dries I take the spool off the reel and spray it with WD-40 and very liberally douse it in reel oil and place it back in  the box it came in.....I then give it a final shot of WD-40 so it’s basically swimming and close the box up....The reel is running smooth as butter still but IDK when I should send it in for servicing.......How often do you guys?....Thanks in advance....John

3 mins ago, prican1 said:

Honestly you don't use the reel enough to merit servicing, wash  it down after every use and keep storing like you been doing.

Yeah that’s what I figured.....Do they usually have any water intrusion?

1 hour ago, john1234 said:

Yeah that’s what I figured.....Do they usually have any water intrusion?

No unless a seal Breaks. A freshwater rinse down is all you need and away it goes 

13 hours ago, john1234 said:

I’ve had my VSX 150 for 2 years and due to my employment only fish 2 weeks in the early summer and 2 weeks in the fall....During that time I dunk the reel frequently but never really crank under water......before I store it for the winter I strip the line and wash it thoroughly with fresh water then after it dries I take the spool off the reel and spray it with WD-40 and very liberally douse it in reel oil and place it back in  the box it came in.....I then give it a final shot of WD-40 so it’s basically swimming and close the box up....The reel is running smooth as butter still but IDK when I should send it in for servicing.......How often do you guys?....Thanks in advance....John

Youre doing more than enough.  I dont use my VS as much anymore as I mostly fish from a boat these days but when they were getting heavy use they didnt get much more than a hose down maybe 1-3x a year.  They all went years without servicing. You'll probably know when they need to go in; I sent 2 in when I noticed they were leaking grease.

That's a lot more effort than I make. Maybe the rods and reels (I tape the reels on) get rinsed during the year and maybe I remember to do it at the end. Then they hang in the garage until next year. I service them when the get stiff.

Rinse in freshwater and put it away. Thats all you need to do. 

Despite WD-40's popularity as a lubricant/protectant it's more of a solvent than anything else. I use it when I'm breaking reels down and cleaning old grease outt of them. Its solvent properties excell for that. The problem I have with it as a protectant id that when WD-40 dries, it leaves behind a varnish like film which can actually discolor the things its on. The varnish is pretty hard to remove too. Stick to removing grease and getting rust off old tools with WD-40 but don't coat your pretty anodized ree with it.

Have it serviced completely

Wash and wax all anodized components

Polish and buff all stainless components

Vacuum seal it in a bag

Place it in the box it came in

Place the box in a gold, jeweled encrusted arc

Bury the arc somewhere nobody will find it until next season

Or you can just leave it taped to the rod with a faint crust of dry salt water on it until you dunk it in the water next year to rinse it off :shrug:

mine is washed, degreased, polished, and stored in a locked glass cabinet as the centerpiece of my living room.

Not.  I get home from fishing and throw it in the basement, usually still attached to the rod.  It sits just like that until the next time it's used.  The only time I wash it is when I dip it in the surf to rise out some sand that may be in it from getting splashed up.

24 mins ago, MitchellNJ said:

Have it serviced completely

Wash and wax all anodized components

Polish and buff all stainless components

Vacuum seal it in a bag

Place it in the box it came in

Place the box in a gold, jeweled encrusted arc

Bury the arc somewhere nobody will find it until next season

Or you can just leave it taped to the rod with a faint crust of dry salt water on it until you dunk it in the water next year to rinse it off :shrug:

Red velvet line box with gold accents?