cityevader

Another recommend me a reel thread, with a twist

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

The twist? Tactile feedback of the line. 

Explanation: I bought a new Spinfisher V last year as my first "real" reel. But it feels dead to me.

The only other reels I've ever used are a 710z and a Shakespeare AC060 (on four different rods) ...and they both provide wonderful feedback. 

Further explanation: I sandy-beach-fish with the lightest Carolina rig for the conditions, allowing for slight drift by barely cranking the reel to maintain just enough tension to feel the line. 

The line resonates like a guitar string when it rubs across a single strand of seaweed. It gives a little tug when it hits seaweed broadside and clearly "bloops" when it clears that obstacle. I can feel when the sinker drops into a hole versus climbing out of one, versus sand/gravel-seashell bottom...BUT NOT WITH the Spinfisher V. The SSV feels dead in my hand. 

Hopefully someone can recommend to me a 4k-ish size reel that gives better feedback....$150—200 is stretching my single-father-budget. Otherwise, i'll stay with old but useable stuff. 

Thoughts? 

I can’t speak about the spinfisher V, but I have the spinfisher VI 3500 and 4500. I don’t Carolina rig with them, but throw 1/2 - 5/8 oz swimbaits on lead heads for halibut and calico bass, I can clear tell if I’m scraping sand or pebble bottoms and can feel the slightest tick of eelgrass on it. Many times I can even feel the pulse of the swim bait tail. 

If you are a single reel guy and fish 7-10 ft rods the Quantum Boca and Cabo reel in a size 50 two of the very best reels out there hands down and from $140-$190 its right smack in your price range. Silky smooth, great drag, perfect balance of weight and line capacity. At home on 7-9 and some lighter 10 foot rods. The Cabo supposedly has a better main gear quality however I have zero complaints about the gear in the Boca. When buying either make sure to get the latest edition which would be the “ptsE” version and not the “ptsD”.

In the style that you're fishing, to greatly enhance you're connection to the bait, just place the line so that it is just gently resting on the tip of your index finger, of the hand that is holding the rod, as soon as you stop reeling. When you're reeling it's easier to feel a hit, but when the bait is falling or is sitting, or just being barely moved, that finger touching the line will detect the slightest of taps, as long as there is a little tension on the line. If you feel anything you're not sure of swing, you will end up hooking up more. Sometimes a take is very subtle, that's why you're swinging.

This type of technique works even better with a conventional, or bait caster style reel, because you can let the line just rest on the finger of your none reeling hand as long as you wish after the cast has landed. The goal is to feel all the hits, even when he has just gently sucked in the bait.

SandSpike1, good for you ... I don't know whether your theory is correct or not. It's an interesting notion. I hope a rodbuilding guru stops by to comment.

My own thought, FWIW, is with Seakarp. An open conventional is the most sensitive possible fishing tool for what the OP says he's doing. A quality baitcaster is second.

A question for the OP.  Are you fishing braid or monofilament?

I'm using 14# Fireline.

The rod is irrelevant. 

Why? Because the same rod is being used for all three reels.

What can reduce the feel of the line? Reel material? Reel weight? Reel stiffness?

I can FEEL stuff in the water right through the crank handle as well as the rod, with the OLD reels, but not the newer SSV,

The issue isn't feeling "hits" as that is easy to tell. The feel of the line's movement through/across different surfaces is what I mean.

11 hours ago, cityevader said:

I'm using 14# Fireline.

The rod is irrelevant. 

Why? Because the same rod is being used for all three reels.

What can reduce the feel of the line? Reel material? Reel weight? Reel stiffness?

I can FEEL stuff in the water right through the crank handle as well as the rod, with the OLD reels, but not the newer SSV,

The issue isn't feeling "hits" as that is easy to tell. The feel of the line's movement through/across different surfaces is what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean. If I fish light jigs, mostly for fluke or weakfish from shore, on certain reels all I feel is the reel mechanics. I like a reel that is very light on the handle when turning, and a metal body/foot to transmit the feel.

I always reach for my Saltist Back Bay 4k for that type of fishing, and I highly recommend a few bearings in the handle knob as well to help with the feel.

Buy a 710z, you said it worked.

The only thing I can can think of is the Z has a slow gear ratio so if you are cranking at a constant speed with both reels, then the spinfisher with the higher gear ratio will be retrieving line faster. Because its retrieving line faster you experience the "bloop" quicker and less definitively than the slower retrieve.

With the Z, essentially you are dragging your line across the obstruction slower, so you experience it for a longer period of time and acrually notice it. Try cranking slower with the spinfisher and comeback to use. 

I’m wondering if you’re not getting along with the spinfisher because its anti-reverse is a clutch bearing, or that it’s newer and not loosened up like your older reels. 

I wouldn't necessarily say that gear ratio comes into play. I'm not reeling in a plug, just keeping the line from going slack as waves slowly push it toward shore. 

Also, it's the same line, sinker, rod on the same fishing trip/conditions with both reels to compare. 

I'm curious about the anti-reverse, being unfamiliar with its construction/mechanics, as to how it might transmit vibration differently. I hadn't paid any attention to that portion when i opened them up for service. 

As for the cone of flight difference due to stem height, the SSV is exactly inbetween at 10cm, Shakespeare at 11cm, 710z at 9cm from foot to spool-center.