codfish

How will the slot limit effect the way you fish?

Rate this topic

126 posts in this topic

It won’t affect the way I fish because I don’t keep fish.

It also won’t help the Striped Bass rebound. So sad that only the very young among us will possibly live to see Striped Bass fishing return to what it was just 10 years go.

All we need to do is stop eating them and properly handle and release. Seems so simple.

No changes for me.  I seriously think true hardcore striper-obsessed fishers will not change their MOs, as the "bend in the rod" is the drug, not the dining. 

I do feel a little remorse for those seeking their "Wall Fish", but if they keep a cloth tape measure with them and quickly take length and girth measurements, along with a few photos, a good taxidermist can provide an accurate reproduction for their trophy wall...

It will affect nothing for me.Currently engaging in a personal moratorium on fishing for SB till and if they come back but skeptical about any comeback as ppl keep fishin them like there's nothing wrong.The OP is an example of this and the lame excuse we have for regs on SB is a total joke.

Posted (edited) · Report post

No impact for me. Sucks that the slow downward spiral will continue with average to poor fishing for the weekend warriors like myself but that it might be touted as a “success” just through lower angler effort, missed quotas, and CE coming close to meeting reductions. Guess I’m cynical but I’d rather just let it fail and go for another moratorium/partial moratorium to get an actual stock rebuild.

Edited by Searobin

Posted (edited) · Report post

Won't affect me. When I keep stripers, about 4 a year, my preferred range is 28" - 34".

Once a year at most, I keep a larger fish so the new regulation will mean I might spare one fish a year.

Edited by zak-striper

No change for me.

Haven't been keeping them for awhile. 

Back when I kept fish I only kept a couple truly big stripers, more for the hero status, and they tasted like ass. I would send it back if it was served to me in a restaurant. Fishy tasting shoe leather.

I never even considered a mount, even for the 50 I never got (and prolly never will now).

In all honesty, I haven't seen a 36 inch fish from shore in years. Neither has most meat fishermen that avoid that one place. They don't live long enough to get that big. Slot doesn't change that. The slot is empty paperwork BS.

6 mins ago, mikez2 said:

No change for me.

Haven't been keeping them for awhile. 

Back when I kept fish I only kept a couple truly big stripers, more for the hero status, and they tasted like ass. I would send it back if it was served to me in a restaurant. Fishy tasting shoe leather.

I never even considered a mount, even for the 50 I never got (and prolly never will now).

In all honesty, I haven't seen a 36 inch fish from shore in years. Neither has most meat fishermen that avoid that one place. They don't live long enough to get that big. Slot doesn't change that. The slot is empty paperwork BS.

IMO the driving force behind the slot limit was to appease the charter boats. Apparently they feel  it's imperative their clients go home with a fish, regardless of size.

These regs suck....I'm OUTRAGED.

I'll have to kill every 15lb bluefish I catch from now on.

(((where the !@#$ are all the big bluefish))))

((The new regs don't have an effect on how I fish....I barely keep 1 fish per year and never a big gurl))

I'll be pissed when the only fish I catch is a 42, which is my MO at the ditch it seems.

I eat fish.  But I fish once a week for three or four hours at most and get skunked half the time.

It won't change how I fish though.  

I believe it won't change anything at all.

I venture a guess that the people keeping everything they catch will keep on keeping everything they catch.

The people killing fish with their crappy practices will keep killing fish with their crappy practices.

Half 

Actually, what will happen is people like me who might have not kept a fish waiting for something larger will catch their "slot fish", kill it, and then keep fishing.

So there will actually be more fish killed by those who like to keep them but stay within the regulations.

There will still be as many fish killed by those who don't care about the regulations.

But the surveys that come back about fish kept by charter guys will make nice looking data so we will keep killing more fish for a couple years and then they realize that the stocks are not getting better.