codfish

It's official

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission Accepts Striped Bass Slot Limit for 2020 Season

New regulations hope to conserve striped bass, but some anglers are raising alarm

Now anglers are limited to a one-fish bag limit and a 28- to 35-inch recreational slot limit, for ocean fisheries.

What is your take on Commercial stripe bass slot limit, 34-41, bag limit 15 fish ??

8 hours ago, codfish said:

Atlantic States Marine Fisheries Commission Accepts Striped Bass Slot Limit for 2020 Season

New regulations hope to conserve striped bass, but some anglers are raising alarm

Now anglers are limited to a one-fish bag limit and a 28- to 35-inch recreational slot limit, for ocean fisheries.

What is your take on Commercial stripe bass slot limit, 34-41, bag limit 15 fish ??

I guess you won't see all those big "breaders" laying on the access roads anymore. 

7 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I guess you won't see all those big "breaders" laying on the access roads anymore. 

This is said with sarcasm right ?   No where enough EPO to enforce it.  

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

No, they'll be in the bushes with the 22"ers

More fishing thrown on the ground while honest people measure.  Not sure how many survive this type of treatment.    So my thoughts are this will not help

Tper 

2 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Or on the back of bikes.

11 hours ago, codfish said:

is there a source on the bolded above?  First I'm hearing of this.

And these regulations are all well and fine, until you realize that it is NOT a coastwide 28"-35"  recreational slot limit, but a 18% reduction in harvest and each state will be allowed to determine a "conservational equivalence" to obtain a 18% reduction. 

Odds are good that the New England states will all adopt very similar if not identical regulations, but below LI sound I honestly have ZERO expectations of them not adopting some sort of conservational equivalence that will keep a vast majority of fish of currently legal for harvest fish available by recreational fisherman.  Just wait...

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, DMacLeod said:

This is said with sarcasm right ?   No where enough EPO to enforce it.  

True. BUT it is going to be very easy to spot someone poaching in daylight now.  Can you imagine if someone tries to keep a 40" fish during a morning breaking tide.  I would hope that many people would call them out.

Edited by frezzy

It has often been stated that something is better then nothing , but from the picture I am seeing from this announcement this is still nothing in place to really affect the numbers continuing to spiral downward. I ask, why does no one find a need to limit how many days a week will remain open for recreational fishing ? Are they hoping that the limit they have placed on the recreational sector with a max of 35 inches will be sustainable over the summer season . If the commercial numbers now not being met at 34 inches in any numbers for selling fish what make you think that will change,  if it is a directive for the recreational segment of this resource> Closing it down for one or two recreational days in my opinion would do more to stabilize the resource, but also make it even harder to enforce long term . Time will tell where this will all go . Lets us hope we see some upticks in the other resources we can fish on more to of set  the limited striped bass available, during this time of the season.

7 mins ago, frezzy said:

True. BUT it is going to be very easy to spot someone poaching in daylight now.  Can you imagine if someone tries to keep a 40" fish during a morning breaking tide.  I would hope that many people would call them out.

Or when they bring it to a local shop to get weighed in. :laugh: