jalthoff

Landlocked Salmon

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

This is by far my favorite short window fly fishing of the year.  They come in later than you think they will, and they leave sooner than you want!  But they are absolutely gorgeous fish, if a bit finicky when they're mostly thinking about spawning or tired from spawning.  But this one was fired up - ran 5 yards across the pool to slam my fly, jumped 4 times and tail walked twice.  It was cold as hell yesterday morning, and dunking my left hand 15 minutes into fishing did not help one bit!  Caught a second smaller one in the afternoon (added release video below), and called it quits.  7 hours of hard, cold, tiring fishing for 2 beautiful fish.  Completely worth it in the end! 

Also saw a beaver, which was not a surprise given all the work those damn things have been doing on this stream!

IMG_6428.jpeg

IMG_6424.jpeg

IMG_6429.jpeg

IMG_6431.jpeg

IMG_6446.jpeg

IMG_6435.jpeg

IMG_6449.mov

Edited by jalthoff

This was my favorite month when I lived up in Rangeley.Wearing blaze orange,standing in the river as it snowed.Catching brookies and land- locs as does and bucks crossed the river up and down stream from me.Nobody around.

Your tempting me to hit the lake a few more times, I remember well swishing the rod every other cast to get rid of the guide ice.

What's is your go to LLS casting fly ? I always relied on a light Edson tiger with a marabou wing tied full on a Mustad 79580 size 2 or 4. That hook has a wide gap to get around that jaw.

Cold water at pushing 70 has a way of making your joints ache for days after  :-)

FT

1 hour ago, Fishin Technician said:

What's is your go to LLS casting fly ? I always relied on a light Edson tiger with a marabou wing tied full on a Mustad 79580 size 2 or 4. That hook has a wide gap to get around that jaw.

I have to confess my go to LL fly is boring - olive wooly bugger.  In my experience with LL's it's less about the fly and more about getting the fly in their cone of vision with some movement .....