RKG1

Century Surf Machine SM13S 13'

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I am looking at getting another travel rod that fits in my suitcase. I have one now that does but my backup rod is telescopic and folds down to 48" which I can bring on the plane in Canada but not the return flight from Mexico. My situation is that now I also like to bring back some seafood on the return flight. And for whatever reason, my ticket booked with avion rewards, gives me one free checked bag outbound but not on the return. What I found out this year is that my airline allows for one checked bag free for humanitarian purposes, so no problem heading down. I have a large soft sided cooler that I pack with donated clothes for the trip down. And i can fill it with frozen items for the trip back. The hiccup now is will I have to pay for 3 checked bags on the way back or just two because I have my suitcase, cooler and I now have to check my backup rod? So far I have only had to pay once out of 4 times for the backup rod as i complained and they backed off. And the fee for the 3rd bag is $100/ US so negates most of the savings for cheap seafood. Ideally, with two travel rods and gear in my suitcase, I will have a carry on and a backpack for in the cabin which allows for bringing more stuff like my fins and snorkel and eliminates a potential costly snag at the counter. 

I am also looking into getting the airlines credit card as I see there are some free baggage benefits as well as cheap companion fares that may be better then the rewards I get from my bank card. But good to hear of different options and strategies for fishing travel as the added fees have really changed in the last 10 years.

Posted (edited) · Report post

24 mins ago, Mahigo said:

My lures at the table from the San Jose del Cabo resort this year May-June. 

And the second picture showing packing them to the cardboard box/square tube and slide in the rod case plus other things like a players, line, spare spools, rod stands and so on….All my gear goes into rod case and only reels are in carry-on.

IMG_7253.jpeg

IMG_7265.jpeg

You are missing at least another 30 good rooster lures..

Edited by levari

1 hour ago, thedonald said:

I am looking at getting another travel rod that fits in my suitcase. I have one now that does but my backup rod is telescopic and folds down to 48" which I can bring on the plane in Canada but not the return flight from Mexico. My situation is that now I also like to bring back some seafood on the return flight. And for whatever reason, my ticket booked with avion rewards, gives me one free checked bag outbound but not on the return. What I found out this year is that my airline allows for one checked bag free for humanitarian purposes, so no problem heading down. I have a large soft sided cooler that I pack with donated clothes for the trip down. And i can fill it with frozen items for the trip back. The hiccup now is will I have to pay for 3 checked bags on the way back or just two because I have my suitcase, cooler and I now have to check my backup rod? So far I have only had to pay once out of 4 times for the backup rod as i complained and they backed off. And the fee for the 3rd bag is $100/ US so negates most of the savings for cheap seafood. Ideally, with two travel rods and gear in my suitcase, I will have a carry on and a backpack for in the cabin which allows for bringing more stuff like my fins and snorkel and eliminates a potential costly snag at the counter. 

I am also looking into getting the airlines credit card as I see there are some free baggage benefits as well as cheap companion fares that may be better then the rewards I get from my bank card. But good to hear of different options and strategies for fishing travel as the added fees have really changed in the last 10 years.

Travel with the fishing gear is painful… I have some travel rods but not using them very often, only if I go to Hawaii but for Mexico I like 2piece rods. 

I always planning to bring back some good fillets but never done it. One day I will especially from Mexico cause is a short distance. 

IMG_7753.jpeg

My travel rod is excellent, up to 150 yds with a tail wind. And the telescopic is a little gimmicky but after a few days I had full confidence it it too. It's just heavier so that is noticeable on those hot beaches. I would probably go with a 4 pce 10', something I can use on a boat as well as backup casting. Maybe I should just retire there and avoid all the fuss :)

33 mins ago, thedonald said:

My travel rod is excellent, up to 150 yds with a tail wind. And the telescopic is a little gimmicky but after a few days I had full confidence it it too. It's just heavier so that is noticeable on those hot beaches. I would probably go with a 4 pce 10', something I can use on a boat as well as backup casting. Maybe I should just retire there and avoid all the fuss :)

It will be nice if you can retired and has a little roof close to the beach… no more luggage hassle.

And you can use a 1 piece rod. Can you look for 12ft travel rod? I think longer rod is better for distance, but not always a good brand 10ft can be good too. I have Shimano Exage BX S.T.C. its 12ft 3lb T/C I never used it but my friend has it and he is doing very well of corse with smaller lures, not a 4oz. 

I Have a century 13 ft with the turbo top section only 2 piece and it casts like a howitzer .u may need 4 ounces to compress it for a normal standing cast. Penn 525,535,a b u 6500/6600,Diawa sla20 or 30 will get u well past a hundred yards .provided u don't have a level wind on the reel. The Diawa mag centrifugal brake will offer better distance with way less back lashes .you can use 20 lb mono with a 15foot top shot of 30 lb hollow braid use a thin film of gorilla glue and there is not any knots on your spool,attach a two foot high low rig with your favorite bait  via swivel and you will catch what ever is out there not saying a keeper but it will be a fun day . The hollow braid will require a simple tapestry needle from any sewing type store .I've fished the glued top shot of braid as described for 4 outing without failure but ran the mono the full length of the top shot and it's beyond strong.I'm in the process of using 12 lb mono with the top of hollow on a football field just to get the distance confirmed. And only cast what the wind gives you. Sorry for the long reply 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 12/2/2019 at 2:19 PM, Surf bomber said:

I Have a century 13 ft with the turbo top section only 2 piece and it casts like a howitzer .u may need 4 ounces to compress it for a normal standing cast. Penn 525,535,a b u 6500/6600,Diawa sla20 or 30 will get u well past a hundred yards .provided u don't have a level wind on the reel. The Diawa mag centrifugal brake will offer better distance with way less back lashes .you can use 20 lb mono with a 15foot top shot of 30 lb hollow braid use a thin film of gorilla glue and there is not any knots on your spool,attach a two foot high low rig with your favorite bait  via swivel and you will catch what ever is out there not saying a keeper but it will be a fun day . The hollow braid will require a simple tapestry needle from any sewing type store .I've fished the glued top shot of braid as described for 4 outing without failure but ran the mono the full length of the top shot and it's beyond strong.I'm in the process of using 12 lb mono with the top of hollow on a football field just to get the distance confirmed. And only cast what the wind gives you. Sorry for the long reply 

Surf bomber, 

Thank you very much for your reply with your advice and suggestions…. 

What model of the Century rod are you are using? 

I think your talking about a conventional rod and reel but I am using a surf spinning rod and reel cause I need to get a nice distance and then I need fast retrieval of my top water lures. Yes I can get a nice distance with a conventional rod and reel but I can’t get a fast retrieval with the conventional reel. For my fishing type I need distance and fast retrieval of the reel. One turn of the handle lure must go ~1.2 meter or more.

I am using Century FMA2 13ft (3-5oz), in good hands this rod can cast over 200 yards no problem. I also have a Daiwa Emblem Z5500A reel which is excellent for distance and fast retrieval.

Normally I have no problem with the distance but recently I changed the reel and the braid line for Daiwa J-Braid 30lb and now with this setup I am not getting as good distance as I was before. Braid line is different than I used before but reel is the same model Daiwa Emblem Z5500A but newer. 

Now is too cold outside to get a test with the old setup and the new one to find out what caused the problem. But in a few days I am going to Hawaii where there is no snow and I can work on the two reels and play with the all of my reels and braid lines.

Edited by Mahigo