RKG1

Century Surf Machine SM13S 13'

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

45 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Modified the action.... stiffer butt section?

Any idea as to approximate dia of butt section? Not looking for exact, just an idea....

Diameter is about 3/4".

Yes, we brought more power into the butt section and modified the action. You can throw 8oz without a shock leader on 20lb test.  The blank is very easy to cast, releasing the energy in an extremely smooth manner.

40 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Mike - The redesign you mention, is the finished rod or the blanks before rolling? 

But yes, my current 1326 is not as sensitive as other rods, I often can’t feel the tails as I can on other rods. 

We redesigned the blank. Originally there was a heavy sleeve on the bottom of the butt section. It brought in more low end power.  With the development of textreme we are able to keep that power while removing that heavy sleeve.  Increasing sensitivity by a mile.

6 hours ago, AFMike said:

We redesigned the blank. Originally there was a heavy sleeve on the bottom of the butt section. It brought in more low end power.  With the development of textreme we are able to keep that power while removing that heavy sleeve.  Increasing sensitivity by a mile.

I have the 13' Max, Ryan has it rated 5-12......only been able to throw it a handful of times and I can say I'm amazed at the power you can throw at it  and it asks for more.....first impression (looks and waggle) could lead one to believe it would be soft and not stand up to power casts....not so....can't wait to give it a thorough test on the field.

On 11/16/2019 at 4:30 PM, RKG1 said:

Which rod case are you using?  It has 2 separate sections?

Plano Jumbo AirLiner #6508, lots of space for 10 rods easy... I placed cardboard inside there is a grove and I got 2 compartments.

On left I have my 3-4 rods and on the right I have all my lures and so on..... The 2 reels I carry on.

IMG_7256.jpeg

IMG_7454.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 hours ago, Mahigo said:

Plano Jumbo AirLiner #6508, lots of space for 10 rods easy... I placed cardboard inside there is a grove and I got 2 compartments.

On left I have my 3-4 rods and on the right I have all my lures and so on..... The 2 reels I carry on.

IMG_7256.jpeg

IMG_7454.jpeg

I use the Bazooka Pro. Last year I brought with me the Legend Surf 12’. The length of the top part is 96”.

I like the cap of the Bazooka much better since it’s much simpler to lock.

i don’t see any value to the wheels.

The Bazooka is also less expensive than the Plano.

Edited by levari

Thanks.  It looks like you have a small soft-sided carry-on, two checked bags plus the rod tube? That's a lot of extra baggage fees!!  I am trying to find a way to minimize extra baggage fees and oversize baggage fees, which add up to a lot when you make three or four trips per year.  Currently researching surf board bags that would allow a rod tube of up to about 84" plus room for my other fishing gear, all in one bag.  If the airlines will accept this as a "surf board bag" they will allow it subject to just the extra checked bag charge and not oversize charges.  But their rules seem to limit what you can put in these bags to avoid the type of strategy I want...    It all sucks because the new business model for airlines is to make a lot of money off baggage, and each airline has its own rules for price, size and weight....  And add to that the uncertainty of dealing with airline personnel in foreign countries on the way back, and it really becomes a situation that is hard to get around getting hosed on the extra fees. 

I’ve got a 1506 12’6” 1 to 4 and it’s fantastic for casting 3 to 3.5 oz.  1 to 2 oz is ok but man the sweet spot is 3.3 oz.  I think you would do well with this rod for what you are trying to do. I can cast  a 3 oz bank sinker about 600 feet with this rod.  Talking poppers xd is going about 450’ maybe a bit more on a good day.  Just a thought

Edited by Birdsnester

5 hours ago, levari said:

I use the Bazooka Pro. Last year I brought with me the Legend Surf 12’. The length of the top part is 96”.

I like the cap of the Bazooka much better since it’s much simpler to lock.

i don’t see any value to the wheels.

The Bazooka is also less expensive than the Plano.

I think the Plano is little bigger in diameter and you can place more rods, if you really need that many. 

I have another Plane case 46102 for 2 rods but that one is 4 1/4” diameter and my big rods comes with big guides, not much clearance that is why I bought the big one.

Yes you might be right about the wheels but in my situation with all rods and all my lures its about 15 kg, and pulling the heavy case around at the airport is much easer than carry it. 

5 hours ago, RKG1 said:

Thanks.  It looks like you have a small soft-sided carry-on, two checked bags plus the rod tube? That's a lot of extra baggage fees!!  I am trying to find a way to minimize extra baggage fees and oversize baggage fees, which add up to a lot when you make three or four trips per year.  Currently researching surf board bags that would allow a rod tube of up to about 84" plus room for my other fishing gear, all in one bag.  If the airlines will accept this as a "surf board bag" they will allow it subject to just the extra checked bag charge and not oversize charges.  But their rules seem to limit what you can put in these bags to avoid the type of strategy I want...    It all sucks because the new business model for airlines is to make a lot of money off baggage, and each airline has its own rules for price, size and weight....  And add to that the uncertainty of dealing with airline personnel in foreign countries on the way back, and it really becomes a situation that is hard to get around getting hosed on the extra fees. 

Yes that is not the easy way to travel with the fishing gear.

I am flying from Canada and to check in the fishing case is $30 to $35 CAD one way, which is not that bad. 

I am ready to pay that price as long as I can have my 2 piece rods with me. 

Also bringing one travel rod that I can usually use on afternoon with a small lures and spoons.

Here is one of the Canadian flying regulations:

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 12.15.17 PM.png

Edited by Mahigo

9 hours ago, RKG1 said:

Thanks.  It looks like you have a small soft-sided carry-on, two checked bags plus the rod tube? That's a lot of extra baggage fees!!  I am trying to find a way to minimize extra baggage fees and oversize baggage fees, which add up to a lot when you make three or four trips per year.  

Orange luggage and rod case checked in…these two have to pay. No oversize fees, cause you allowed to take your rod case and tackle box.

$30 CAD which is ~$22 USD for the rod case.

The aluminum luggage is carry on with 2 or 3 reels in it. Also the soft bag is personal belongings carry on.…

IMG_7454.jpeg.4aef098a0bca04d5096079557ad15356.jpg

18 hours ago, Mahigo said:

I think the Plano is little bigger in diameter and you can place more rods, if you really need that many. 

I have another Plane case 46102 for 2 rods but that one is 4 1/4” diameter and my big rods comes with big guides, not much clearance that is why I bought the big one.

Yes you might be right about the wheels but in my situation with all rods and all my lures its about 15 kg, and pulling the heavy case around at the airport is much easer than carry it. 

4 rod and lures . How do you get 33 lb? 

1 hour ago, levari said:

4 rod and lures . How do you get 33 lb? 

My lures at the table from the San Jose del Cabo resort this year May-June. 

And the second picture showing packing them to the cardboard box/square tube and slide in the rod case plus other things like a players, line, spare spools, rod stands and so on….All my gear goes into rod case and only reels are in carry-on.

IMG_7253.jpeg

IMG_7265.jpeg