RKG1

Century Surf Machine SM13S 13'

Rate this topic

38 posts in this topic

I am looking for more info on this rod/blank.  The website shows a photo that has four sections, but the very limited description does not mention the number of sections.

 

Is this a 4 piece blank?  What is the length of the longest section.?

Does anyone know the sweetspot for lure weights?

 

It looks like the biggest difference between the regular SM and the SM Elite is the titanium/torzite guides and Graphene on the Elite.  Is that really the primary difference  in terms of price and improved casting?  And are the guides truly the biggest difference maker in the improved casting? 

 

In other words if I am willing to accept the KW Alconite guides on the regular SM, is there really any reason to step up to the SM Elite?  (I want the answer to be "no"!)

 

Does Century sell just the blanks for the SM13S 13'?

 

(Man, some website designer really needs to help Century with their websites (they have two?!)... Such high dollar rods and completely worthless websites!)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the advanced fishing site needs some work.

 

AFMike is one of the partners in Advanced Fishing, he’ll either chime in here or you can ping him.

 

The Elites have a blank profile that’s different from the other Surf Machines so there is a bit more than just the graphine and TI guides. 

 

I got the 11’3” Elite about six weeks ago. It’s a great rod but I’m still getting acquainted with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RKG1 said:

I am looking for more info on this rod/blank.  The website shows a photo that has four sections, but the very limited description does not mention the number of sections.

 

Is this a 4 piece blank?  What is the length of the longest section.?

Does anyone know the sweetspot for lure weights?

 

It looks like the biggest difference between the regular SM and the SM Elite is the titanium/torzite guides and Graphene on the Elite.  Is that really the primary difference  in terms of price and improved casting?  And are the guides truly the biggest difference maker in the improved casting? 

 

In other words if I am willing to accept the KW Alconite guides on the regular SM, is there really any reason to step up to the SM Elite?  (I want the answer to be "no"!)

 

Does Century sell just the blanks for the SM13S 13'?

 

(Man, some website designer really needs to help Century with their websites (they have two?!)... Such high dollar rods and completely worthless websites!)

 

 

 

The SME are run with a higher grade of carbon,  graphene and the full length of the blank has textreme finish. They are also lower in diameter. 

The 13' SM is true to its rating, it will throw its whole range effectively.  That being said it's not a rod I'd want to plug with.  

Yes, they are available as just a blank if you want.

The 13' is a 2pc 50/50 split. The 4pc you saw.id a travel rod.

What are you looking for the rod to do, I can recommend some specific blanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I already have the Sling Shot 1505-5 1-4oz.  I am looking for something to complement that rod with the ability to throw the heavier lures.  I use these rods primarily for Rooster fishing the west coast of Mexico.    Distance casting lures is critical.  A travel rod (blank) would be ideal if there is such a beast.

 

Just curious, why dont you recommend the 13 for lures?  I was thinking maybe that would be for heavier lures but also maybe to give me some bait fishing capability.

 

What is the travel rod you are referring to? sixe specs, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 11:42 AM, RKG1 said:

I already have the Sling Shot 1505-5 1-4oz.  I am looking for something to complement that rod with the ability to throw the heavier lures.  I use these rods primarily for Rooster fishing the west coast of Mexico.    Distance casting lures is critical.  A travel rod (blank) would be ideal if there is such a beast.

 

Just curious, why dont you recommend the 13 for lures?  I was thinking maybe that would be for heavier lures but also maybe to give me some bait fishing capability.

 

What is the travel rod you are referring to? sixe specs, etc.

Yes for the rooster fishing I will go with 13ft rod.

Yes you need distance that is the key for the rooster. 

I am not sure if you can find a good travel rod that can cast a ~150 meters....

I travel to Mexico with 2 rods in a Plane jumbo airliner rod case, split in a 2 section one for 2 or 3 rods and other for the lures and other fishing goodies. Cost me $35.00 one way. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 1:42 PM, RKG1 said:

I already have the Sling Shot 1505-5 1-4oz.  I am looking for something to complement that rod with the ability to throw the heavier lures.  I use these rods primarily for Rooster fishing the west coast of Mexico.    Distance casting lures is critical.  A travel rod (blank) would be ideal if there is such a beast.

 

Just curious, why dont you recommend the 13 for lures?  I was thinking maybe that would be for heavier lures but also maybe to give me some bait fishing capability.

 

What is the travel rod you are referring to? sixe specs, etc.

The 13' SM was designed as a bait rod.  There are 2 versions, a 2 to 8 oz and 5 to 10 oz .It would be a lot to plug with for an extended period of time.  I've fished Mexico for Roosters and Jack's.  Generally I throw 2 to 3oz plugs.

I fish Century FMA, SP and FMJ, all 12' and absolutely bomb. I do have a 13' FMA blank rated 2 to 5oz that would work well as a plugging rod. It's lighter in weight and lower diameter. 

Another great option would be the 12' SME 1 to 6oz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, AFMike said:

The 13' SM was designed as a bait rod.  There are 2 versions, a 2 to 8 oz and 5 to 10 oz .It would be a lot to plug with for an extended period of time.  I've fished Mexico for Roosters and Jack's.  Generally I throw 2 to 3oz plugs.

I fish Century FMA, SP and FMJ, all 12' and absolutely bomb. I do have a 13' FMA blank rated 2 to 5oz that would work well as a plugging rod. It's lighter in weight and lower diameter. 

Another great option would be the 12' SME 1 to 6oz.

Mike, 

 

Not to hijack in another direction but since you are talking Century. I had Ryan wrap a custom S2 1326 three years ago (pre-graphene)  which has become my most-used rod. All artificials here in Florida from 1oz Hogy jigs to nearly 4oz GT Ice Creams of large poppers. While 4oz is in the rating, I feel like I am pushing it at that weight. In a pinch, I have used it to cast 3/4oz metals when the fish are in tight. 
 

I love the light weight and progressive action which suits both my casting stroke and our conditions here (all fishing off the sand, no wading). Paired with a VR125 and 30# braid, it handled a 100+ pound tarpon last fall off the beach which I attribute to that softer action. That day I wish I had a heavier reel but it all worked in the end. 


Lately I have thought about getting rods a size up in 11’ and maybe a size down in the 9-10’ range. I have a heavier Blackhole and it just does not work for me like the Stealth does. 
 

What blanks would you recommend that are most similar? And is there a 4-piece anywhere in that range and taper? 


Many thanks and apologies about the off topic question. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mike,

 

Are the 13' SM's based around one of Century's UK market rods, modified perhaps or is it a design unique to the US market?

 

 

B

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Mike,

 

Are the 13' SM's based around one of Century's UK market rods, modified perhaps or is it a design unique to the US market?

 

 

B

Yes, they are based off the c2d SPOD, we added textreme finish and modified the action a bit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 mins ago, tomkaz said:

Mike, 

 

Not to hijack in another direction but since you are talking Century. I had Ryan wrap a custom S2 1326 three years ago (pre-graphene)  which has become my most-used rod. All artificials here in Florida from 1oz Hogy jigs to nearly 4oz GT Ice Creams of large poppers. While 4oz is in the rating, I feel like I am pushing it at that weight. In a pinch, I have used it to cast 3/4oz metals when the fish are in tight. 
 

I love the light weight and progressive action which suits both my casting stroke and our conditions here (all fishing off the sand, no wading). Paired with a VR125 and 30# braid, it handled a 100+ pound tarpon last fall off the beach which I attribute to that softer action. That day I wish I had a heavier reel but it all worked in the end. 


Lately I have thought about getting rods a size up in 11’ and maybe a size down in the 9-10’ range. I have a heavier Blackhole and it just does not work for me like the Stealth does. 
 

What blanks would you recommend that are most similar? And is there a 4-piece anywhere in that range and taper? 


Many thanks and apologies about the off topic question. 

We have redesigned the Stealth line.  We replaced the heavy sleeve on the butt and ran the entire butt section with textreme.  Same power, much lighter in wt and the sensitivity is thru the roof. You can feel the beat of the tail fishing a rubber shad.

The 10'  S1 Stealth would be a great addition for you. Its rated 1 to 4oz. It can be trimmed from the butt if you want to take it down to 9'6" or 9'.

As far as travel rods the Close Quarters 3/4 - 4 and 3/4 to 3oz are both 9' and 3 equal sections. 

Also the Sling Shot 1205 is run as a travel rod. 10' 4pc 1 to 4oz.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, RKG1 said:

Mike, I am not familiar with these abbreviations:  FMA SP and FMJ.  which blanks are these on the websites?

 

On the web site search “Full Metal” ..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AFMike said:

Yes, they are based off the c2d SPOD, we added textreme finish and modified the action a bit. 

Modified the action.... stiffer butt section?

Any idea as to approximate dia of butt section? Not looking for exact, just an idea....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, AFMike said:

We have redesigned the Stealth line.  We replaced the heavy sleeve on the butt and ran the entire butt section with textreme.  Same power, much lighter in wt and the sensitivity is thru the roof. You can feel the beat of the tail fishing a rubber shad.

The 10'  S1 Stealth would be a great addition for you. Its rated 1 to 4oz. It can be trimmed from the butt if you want to take it down to 9'6" or 9'.

As far as travel rods the Close Quarters 3/4 - 4 and 3/4 to 3oz are both 9' and 3 equal sections. 

Also the Sling Shot 1205 is run as a travel rod. 10' 4pc 1 to 4oz.

Mike - The redesign you mention, is the finished rod or the blanks before rolling? 
 

But yes, my current 1326 is not as sensitive as other rods, I often can’t feel the tails as I can on other rods. 

Edited by tomkaz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   1 member