Beach sand dredging & replenishment explained...

Rate this topic

MaxKatt

To keep a post in Main non-political, I'm posting the explanation to the policy change here.  

Please see "More beach sand dredging coming" in Main if you would like to see more 

This doesn't look good for either party.  It sickens me to see what went down here.  

WASHINGTON (November 8, 2019)

…In 1982, Congress established the Coastal Barrier Resources System, which protects 1.4 million acres of land around the country from development.   

The Interior Department has long said that the law prohibited using federal money to remove sand from those zones to replenish beaches elsewhere.

Last month, Jeff Van Drew (NJ Congressman,  Democrat) met with Interior Secretary David Bernhardt to request a change in the interpretation of the law.

Also late last month, Representative Van Drew was one of only two Democrats to vote against opening an impeachment inquiry into President Donald Trump.

This week, Interior Secretary David Bernhardt, wrote Congressman Van Drew that he had reversed his position on the interpretation of the law. 

“This flawed interpretation of the law has prevented a number of coastal storm damage reduction projects,” Secretary Bernhardt wrote this week to Representative Van Drew, who represents communities in Southern New Jersey that stand to benefit from the new policy.

“The Trump Administration is committed to protecting our coastlines and utilizing our available resources to restore, enhance or stabilize our beach consistent with the law Congress wrote,” Secretary Bernhardt said in a statement released by Representative Van Drew’s office this week.

A spokeswoman for the Interior Department, Melissa Brown, said in a statement that “There is absolutely no connection whatsoever” between the vote and the letter from Mr. Bernhardt.

The communications director for Representative Van Drew, Mackenzie Lucas, wrote in an email, “These things have nothing to do with one another.” 

Noting that Representative Van Drew has long opposed impeachment, the spokesperson wrote, “it is absurd to think that the Congressman would trade his vote for some sand.”

Is it “really absurd” to think a vote was traded for sand?  

I'd also note this broke on a Friday when news is so often dumped such that it slips past a public distracted with weekend activities.  

….Draining the swamp?  

Edited by MaxKatt

1 hour ago, 27conch said:

This beach replenishment is one of the dumbest projects ever and a total waste of tax payer money.  It's an environmental nightmare and certainly unsustainable. 

Pretty much....

In me the scientist, Always stuck on, always trying this. I try to live on science alone. Analysis and freaky sensitivity, We've gotta live on science alone" Dandy Warhols

It is either replenish my beach that I will run you off of, or pay to rebuild my house every time the wind blows NE.

You pick.

When you vote for a big, all powerful, government paid for by us evil rich folks, these are the false choices you are presented.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

First off,  Congressman Frank Pallone is the man behind all the beach replenishment in NJ now.  I have never voted for him and always encourage others to do the same..I also have plenty of beach access and always have.The sand will come and go with the storms, but then hurricane Sandy hit and everyone panicked afterwards.  The last storm we had, and it wasn't all that strong, took like half of what they just placed on the beach.Stupid.  Then this loose sand flows northward and clogs the sandy hook channel.  Then they dredge, drop it back on the beach and start the process all over again, using yours and my money to do so!!  As far as rebuilding houses, that is up to the home owners and insurance companies. Flood insurance is wicked expensive now and should be.  If you want to build in a flood zone or on the beach front, they you should pay for that risk.  I am always amazed to see people surprised that their home flooded when they are built only 2 feet above the high water mark. It's not if, but when in all these cases.

Great Lakes Dredge & Dock Profile for All Election Cycles

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/summary.php?id=D000026295&cycle=A&fbclid=IwAR1qHR5deCIpr15zN9BOxiXnxbB5QnelYxGlbq3iyLf3wtrbITgncILAQOY

5dc74f0a72307_GreatlakesDredging.jpg.b2f999d3062890493a93b3c8228b7c23.jpg

Edited by Sudsy

I just wanta play everyday despite small nagging injuries --

and go home to a woman who appreciates how full of crap I truly am. ~ Crash Davis

Social Distancing since 1962

• 1 month later...

Beach Replenishment destroyed surf fishing for striped bass in NJ.  Absolutely killed it.  

Pallone is a scumbag.  NJ is a **** hole.  Period.  Nothing left to keep me here.

"He's a good stick" - Mr. Miyagi"  ~  "Yep!" - Captain Dingo

"How are you doing that" - Jimmy the Mate  ~  "Shipwreck is one of those guys!" - Capt. Freddy Gamboa