skamaniac

Dual purpose rod

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'm booked on a trip next spring with some friends to the Dry Tortugas.  This is mostly bottom bait and jigging but they also do some live lining and plug/iron casting.  I don't have a rod specific to that application and was wondering if anyone has ever used there shorter surf rods on a boat casting plugs.  I have a 9' Tica surf rod with a Penn 704z and was hoping this might work.  Any thoughts?

Edited by skamaniac

7’-8’ is ideal for the boat. 8’ is even a tad long, but it is manageable. The 9 footer will work, but you may have a really tough time casting around T-top, rods, and other people on the boat. 

Where around the Fort are you planning to do much casting?  I've used a 9' rod when drifting the shallows and I was able to keep the bow to myself.  I would guess it's far too unwieldy to use as an impromptu rod to grab when stuff that swims up near the boat.

I'd splurge and buy a rod that is a little more handy. When you a bottom fishing you never know what might swim by and will want a handy spinner ready to go. Some decent rods can be had in the hundred dollar range,IMHO.

I'm jealous, should be a good trip.

I'm fishing with Two Fish Charters.  We are allowed 5 rods.  I have an Okuma Metaloid 5iin 30lb braid on a Black Hole rod for jigging and bottom fishing #2 is a Penn Fathom 25n 2 speed 65lb braid on a XXH Ugly Tiger Elite for bottom/bait/jigging.  #3 is Daiwa BG 5000 40 lb braid on a Shimano Trevala for back up jigging and for switching between right handed spinning and right handed conventional to give my old a$$ arm a break.  #4 is Daiwa BG 5000 150 yds 20lb braid and 150 yds of 20lb mono on a 7' Tiger Elite for live lining/fly lining for yellowtail snapper etc.  I was going to bring a lighter spinner for catching bait but would rather have a rod ready for pitching iron or plugs for Dolphin, Wahoo, Cobia etc and the only thing I have in my arsenal would be that 9' surf rod with a Penn 704z.

This is just my personal preference.

It's dangerous. I wouldn't do it. You can pick up a factory rod from

where ever with a standard COF but favoring the conventional side

of the guide train. I would only cast it underhand. I think that makes sense. :)