Gumption

Diawa Salist 6500H

Rate this topic

10 posts in this topic

Where does one find a Diawa Saltist 6500H to buy? I need a high speed reel that has a 50" and over retrieve rate, and the 6500H seems to fit the bill but finding one is getting to be near impossible. Any help would be appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gumption said:

Where does one find a Diawa Saltist 6500H to buy? I need a high speed reel that has a 50" and over retrieve rate, and the 6500H seems to fit the bill but finding one is getting to be near impossible. Any help would be appreciated!

Where are you located approximately?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Daiwa BG 5000 has 47", The Penn Slammer III 6500HS has 48",  The Slammer III 8500HS has 50"  and the BG 8000 has 53" 

 

Also, be aware that when comparing the Saltist H series to the newer Saltists that have dropped the H from the model number, the retrieve speeds do not match up on the same model numbers.    So check the stats closely.

 

I use all of the above reels except the 8500HS.  The BG 8000 is a really good reel for $100 if its not too big for you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-STT6500H-Saltist-Water-Spinning/dp/B004I36C7K

 

 

good eyes Bob. I never noticed that there was a difference unfortunately. I bought a 6500h off a guy on SOL and it worked great but it was stolen out of my luggage after a trip. So I thought I ordered another one off Amazon, a 6500. So your post made me check it out and sure enough it's not what I had. It has a 49" retrieve rate and not the 53". But I have caught fish and missed fish going either fast or slow with it so I'm not sure it will make that much difference.

Edited by thedonald
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, thedonald said:

https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-STT6500H-Saltist-Water-Spinning/dp/B004I36C7K

 

 

good eyes Bob. I never noticed that there was a difference unfortunately. I bought one off a guy on SOL and it worked great but it was stolen out of my luggage after one trip. So I ordered another one off Amazon, a 6500. So your post made me check it out and sure enough it's not what I had. It has a 49" retrieve rate and not the 53". But I have caught fish and missed fish going either fast or slow with it so I'm not sure it will make that much difference.

I saw that but these are the older models as I had asked what year they were. I fish with CaboSurfcaster a few times every year and he told me that the newer models (like in the last 2 years) are the ones to get because the bearings are sealed. I am debating whether a sealed bearing is a good thing as it would be just like a bearing on a truck. In the old days you could grease the bearings to keep them going for a very long time, and like the new vehicles when they fail then they have to be replaced. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well I only use mine for 15-20 days a year so I don't think I will wear it out. Also I like to stay dry and only cast from the ridges higher up and 10-20 yards further back. Although there is always that one rogue wave that gives you a good soak at least once a trip. In Mexico the sand is usually fairly course so not much gets in. The fine sand is what you have to be really careful with, one year my reel ended up full of it when I used to wade in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Gumption,  I go back and forth on the value of the mag-sealed Saltist (note it is not completely mag-sealed like the Saltiga) or just the BG models that are not sealed.  I can and have taken apart my BG's several times and cleaned and re-lubed them (See Scooby's video here).  I am not sure I can do that with the Saltist.  If there is a breakdown video on the Saltist somewhere I would like to find it. No signs of salt intrusion on the BG's, yet, and they do get splashed heavy but not dunked - well at least not yet...!

 

Don't overlook the Slammer III's.  They are sealed also but again not as much as the big dogs that cost x3$  I really like the Slammer 6500HS. But it is a little heavier then the BG/Saltist (1oz?).  I have stopped worrying about the heavier reels for the Rooster fishing. Compromising on the ideal rod/reel match seems a necessity to get the retrieve speed you need.  And, it has never been an issue for me, yet.

 

Oh, and I am assuming you know about the Stella's and Saltiga's that have 50+ retrieve speeds.  You can buy 10 BG's for one Saltiga!

 

For me now, the choice is either a BG or a Slammer III.  I don't consider the Saltist any more for the maintenance issues you raised.  But admittedly I do not know what type of maintenence I will need to do on the Slammer, or how difficult it will be.

 

 

Donald, I have a Saltist 4500 (43") that I bought after someone recommended the 4500H (48").  I now know I should have bought the Saltist 5000 (48").  Same price, same reel weight but 4" faster.  I think the only difference is a bigger spool on the 5000. Daiwa told me they "think" i can just buy the 5000 spool and put it on the 4500.  I may do that some day.

Edited by RKG1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gumption said:

I saw that but these are the older models as I had asked what year they were. I fish with CaboSurfcaster a few times every year and he told me that the newer models (like in the last 2 years) are the ones to get because the bearings are sealed. I am debating whether a sealed bearing is a good thing as it would be just like a bearing on a truck. In the old days you could grease the bearings to keep them going for a very long time, and like the new vehicles when they fail then they have to be replaced. 

Are you looking for the older model with a retrieve rate of 53” or the newest model with the slower retrieve rate?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, levari said:

Are you looking for the older model with a retrieve rate of 53” or the newest model with the slower retrieve rate?

 

53" would be best as the more water I can cover the better. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.