codfish

Recreation compared to Commercial 2020 stripe bass regs

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

6 mins ago, codfish said:

The new restrictions for the Recreational Fisherman in 2020 are 1 fish slot limit 28-35

What is the new restriction for 2020 Commercial stripe bass fishing?? 

I don’t know much about the Comm side of the fishery but won’t they have to follow the same regs?, Assuming their state adopts them.

51 mins ago, FishHawk II said:

I believe it's an 18% reduction of their catch. FishHawk

Is that a significant number in regards to the overall harvest or not very much of a change? It seems a lot of anglers are not satisfied.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont believe the comm quota came anywhere near being hit. That means an 18% reduction in quota is essentially null and of no consequence. 

I don’t fish commercially and I don’t keep them recreationally so I don’t have a dog in the fight, but at less than 900K lbs I’d bet the commercial quota is a fraction of the annual recreational harvest. Factor in release mortality and poaching and you’ve got a fine state of affairs. 

1 hour ago, rst3 said:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I dont believe the comm quota came anywhere near being hit. That means an 18% reduction in quota is essentially null and of no consequence. 

5dc65c82370de_CurrentcommercialfishingquotasandlandingsMassgov.png.ac3f15da4c3339dd15d3cf2bd9698843.png

6 mins ago, codfish said:

So the 18 percent reduction for commercial is moot?

Well yes and no.........If the state goes up on the number of harvest days a week it would make a difference.

The approval of Addendum VI specified an 18% reduction in each state's commercial Addendum IV quotas.  The state by state data, along with with the 2017 Harvest.

I am unsure as to what size limits will be used and how they are set; they differ from state to state.  For example in 2019 NY was 28-38", while MA was 34" minimum.  

comm striped bass quotas.jpg

Edited by Roccus7

If slot really is the reg for recreational, it is also null. The vast majority of the fish legally kept by rec anglers already fall in that slot.

Seems to me it changes very little on the rec side and continues to focus on harvesting the easy ones before they spawn. 

It's paperwork slight of hand. 

If the commercial is also null, sounds like the whole exercise was a waste of time.

Harvest will be reduced 18% by sucky fishing causing anglers to drop out.

54 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Harvest will be reduced 18% by sucky fishing causing anglers to drop out.

If that's the case, then it's a win for the fish!!  As a "survivor" of the 80s collapse, I'm still confused by anglers' expectations on striped bass.  Is anything less than double digit catches every time out a fail??  What exactly are folks' expectations?? 

I'll tell you one thing that a sparse striped bass population does for a person.  If you decide that you have the fortitude and patience to continue fishing for them, you start becoming a far better fisherman as you learn and master new techniques.  So if you think that bass fishing is tough, get off the keyboard to get out and start trying new things.

Edited by Roccus7

12 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

If that's the case, then it's a win for the fish!!  As a "survivor" of the 80s collapse, I'm still confused by anglers' expectations on striped bass.  Is anything less than double digit catches every time out a fail??  What exactly are folks' expectations?

I'll tell you one thing that a sparse striped bass does for a person.  If you decide that you have the fortitude and patience to continue fishing for them, you start becoming a far better fisherman as you learn and master new techniques.  So if you think that bass fishing is tough, get off the keyboard and get out and start trying new things.

:th:.........My biggest issue with "sportsmen". It's always me, me, me........Everytime they go fishing or hunting they better catch twenty 30 pounders, get a peck of quahogs in ten minutes or shoot a 10 pointer in the first hour of opening day and if not everyone else is a jerk. Honestly, It's like dealing with a bunch of sex addicts sometimes. They just want endless enjoyment all the time with no regard to the natural resources or a balanced ecosystem.

I welcome a back to the eighties lol........Get rid of some of these guys......Let em go back to their video games or youtube adventures.

Let's keep in mind Ma comm. can only fish 2 days a week. If they could endlessly pound the stocks like the recs do they would have their quota filled no problem.

Edited by robc22

8 hours ago, john1234 said:

Is that a significant number in regards to the overall harvest or not very much of a change? It seems a lot of anglers are not satisfied.

It's effectively useless since Mass is ~30% under their commercial quota for the current year.

36 mins ago, Roccus7 said:

I'll tell you one thing that a sparse striped bass population does for a person.  If you decide that you have the fortitude and patience to continue fishing for them, you start becoming a far better fisherman as you learn and master new techniques.  

I totally agree. I came up during the recovery, fished through the extreme regs, learned to value a true "keeper" as a 36" fish requiring skill to consistently catch. 

It sucks the stock has to drop out to thin the casual weekend warriors. I was hoping a painful increase in the rec length limit would do that.