saltygator

Beginner fly fishing

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to fly fishing and I wanted to get some tips on how I can start fly fishing! I've been fishing for a little over a year now and have had some success in fresh and salt water down here in Florida but still learning a lot. I've always thought fly fishing was pretty cool and I have some time to learn it so I'm going for it. 

First, I need to pick up a rod and reel. I prefer to fish saltwater but unfortunately I'm in college and the closest body of saltwater is over an hour away. BUT lucky for me, there are some nice lakes/ponds around for me to practice that are full of bass and panfish. So for the most part i'll probably start small and just try to catch panfish (and maybe largemouth if I can find them on my campus lake) from shore but I'll still tinker around with saltwater a few times a month when I'm home. Do you guys have any recommendations for rods and reels that will meet this need? Should I just focus on getting a lighter set up to learn since I'm fishing a freshwater lake 70% of the time then upgrade later when I'm ready?

Secondly, do you guys have any particular resources I should look into to learn all about fly fishing? I've watched a handful of YouTube videos on casting and such but that's about it. I'm looking to learn more since I'm clueless about all of this in general.

Thanks in advance for all the help!

36 mins ago, saltygator said:

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to fly fishing and I wanted to get some tips on how I can start fly fishing! I've been fishing for a little over a year now and have had some success in fresh and salt water down here in Florida but still learning a lot. I've always thought fly fishing was pretty cool and I have some time to learn it so I'm going for it. 

First, I need to pick up a rod and reel. I prefer to fish saltwater but unfortunately I'm in college and the closest body of saltwater is over an hour away. BUT lucky for me, there are some nice lakes/ponds around for me to practice that are full of bass and panfish. So for the most part i'll probably start small and just try to catch panfish (and maybe largemouth if I can find them on my campus lake) from shore but I'll still tinker around with saltwater a few times a month when I'm home. Do you guys have any recommendations for rods and reels that will meet this need? Should I just focus on getting a lighter set up to learn since I'm fishing a freshwater lake 70% of the time then upgrade later when I'm ready? YES

Secondly, do you guys have any particular resources I should look into to learn all about fly fishing? I've watched a handful of YouTube videos on casting and such but that's about it. I'm looking to learn more since I'm clueless about all of this in general.  Just read everything you can get your hands on.  Concentrate on Joan Wulff, Sexy Loops and Lefty Kreh

Thanks in advance for all the help!

If you are close to an Orvis Store, they offer a FREE class called Fly Fishing 101. Check it out. Most should start around March. For help prior, talk to the Fishing Manager at the store and I am quite certain you will receive all the info and assistance you need. 

Good luck!

Welcome here too!

What comes to self learning fly line casting the "fly casting video masterclass" is great especially when you connect tablet/laptop (even modern big display phone) to internet in practice field/pond and watch lesson and do it. Watch first five lessons now and you understand its value and how fast you will advance.

I think 6wt or 7wt long belly line (Barrio GT125 or GT90 are not expensive) is easier to learn and delivers big enough fly which covers most salt water fish and conditions. If you plan to practice seriously in Florida then consider Sexyloops Thunderbolt Instructor WF6F. Its harder coating should last lawn casting long time so its higher cost comes justified. Instructor line is bright orange but line color does not scare fish. Rod does not have much influence but physical light weight rod is usually "nicer".

Esa

On 11/8/2019 at 9:24 PM, HL said:

JOAN WULFF AND LEFTY KREH---2 OF THE FINEST PEOPLE THAT EVER FISHED.

Met Joan at several of the Lang Auctions held in Ma.  She hung out with

Joe Bates daughter, Patty Bates.

Never a Red Sox fan, but always a Ted Williams fan.  Hook him up with

Lee Wulff and you get 2 of the best Salmon fishermen in my life time.

Take care.

saltygator, since you sound like you're going to do this, welcome to the sport! :clap:

SOL, is one of the best resources you'll find. Many excellent fly anglers here that are willing to help. Plenty of experience & knowledge here.

However, SOL is not exclusively fly fishing. I very much like Tom Rosenbauers podcasts with Orvis. They can be helpful on many topics related to fly fishing. 

I'm not trying to steer you away from here either, but also check the North American Fly Fishing Forum, since that site is about all things fly fishing. There's a great group of helpful folks over there as well. Most of them anyway. 

You will find that some folks that will help you may be active on more than one of these various forums.

There are several groups on Facebook too if you use it. Some are much better than others. The best advice I can give you there is try some, ask questions and if you get a hard time or your not getting the help you need, move on and don't get too butt hurt over it. Seems to me that is the nature of too many of these "social" groups. Too many want to argue rather than actually try to help one another. I follow a lot of different groups, and are very active on some, but those with issues I check, but don't say much. I still try  to help those with questions, but tend to take it to messenger to keep the jerks out of the conversations. :banghd:

The last advice I'll give is find a good casting instructor to get you started. That will often require an expenditure of some funds, which may be difficult for you, but should get you well ahead in the long term.  Casting is the part that many struggle with. 

Of course, and I'm sure others will agree, you can always ask questions here, to the group, or to individual members. I frequent this site often, so am always willing to help out a newbie! Plenty of others here who will as well! :howdy:

Check to see if there is a fly fishing club at the college.  Even a fishing club might lead to some sources for casting lessons.  If you start on your own you will develop flaws that will be harder to correct down the road.

As mentioned Orvis shops are great resources.  Orvis also has a lower priced line of rods that perform very well.  The Clearwater line.