striper79

lamiglas night shift

Rate this topic

106 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, hobobob said:

Fishing all these years, I can't remember a single lamiglass product that's outstanding. Not even one. :why:

I think that becomes a personal opinion. Can’t argue that there aren’t better options today, but they have made some excellent rods over the years. They used to be the staple for surf fishermen in the Northeast. To some, they still are. With the introduction of some of these other co.’s their popularity has slid, no doubt. I think that’s the basis of the release of this new rod. It’s an attempt to compete and stay in the game. I’ll admit that i reach for my ODM rods more often these days, but i still consider the GSB one of the best rods ever made.

52 mins ago, Mack26 said:

I think that becomes a personal opinion. Can’t argue that there aren’t better options today, but they have made some excellent rods over the years. They used to be the staple for surf fishermen in the Northeast. To some, they still are. With the introduction of some of these other co.’s their popularity has slid, no doubt. I think that’s the basis of the release of this new rod. It’s an attempt to compete and stay in the game. I’ll admit that i reach for my ODM rods more often these days, but i still consider the GSB one of the best rods ever made.

I was talking about freshwater fishing where 90+ percentage of the market resides. Wherever the surf rod company is making, it's a pale comparison to the big players in freshwater market.

3 mins ago, hobobob said:

I was talking about freshwater fishing where 90+ percentage of the market resides. Wherever the surf rod company is making, it's a pale comparison to the big players in freshwater market.

Sorry, i misunderstood you, apologies.

Too bad, the night shift is actually a sexy rod, plus I like SCJs sayings/logos. But no way for that price, your in Temple Reef, almost Zenaq, and top Black Hole territory. The made in USA concept is nice I guess though, as is a lifetime warranty. The 3 surf rods I grab the most are probably my Lami 9’ Skinner, custom 10’ GSB jetty rod from whitewater, and my BH East Coast Special even though I have much more expensive rods (as well as much cheaper ones). For Striper fishing and what we do in the NE at least I really don’t see any benefit to a super high end blank over even some Tsunamis unless the rod was obviously custom built to a specific reel.

16 hours ago, jk20a3 said:

Too bad, the night shift is actually a sexy rod, plus I like SCJs sayings/logos. But no way for that price, your in Temple Reef, almost Zenaq, and top Black Hole territory. The made in USA concept is nice I guess though, as is a lifetime warranty. The 3 surf rods I grab the most are probably my Lami 9’ Skinner, custom 10’ GSB jetty rod from whitewater, and my BH East Coast Special even though I have much more expensive rods (as well as much cheaper ones). For Striper fishing and what we do in the NE at least I really don’t see any benefit to a super high end blank over even some Tsunamis unless the rod was obviously custom built to a specific reel.

A mild disagreement.  I agree that the blank isn't critical the way that it might be critical for, say, Baja roosters. It CAN be critical if you need to reach a bit of structure at long range, but 90% of fishable structure is within reach of your 30+ year old GSB. 

IMHO the best reason to spend $$$ on a rod is not the blank, it's to get a custom builder to give you exactly the right distance from butt cap to the center of the reel seat. That's an incredibly underrated factor in ease of casting, and in fatigue control, and in maximizing your distance. 

I have a couple of luxe customs. One, the most recent, is a Century Stealth 1327. It buys me a bit more distance than the rod it replaces, a Breakaway LDFS 12'3" on an an Allstar blank.  I think it weighs something like half of what the LDFS weighs. Of the various corners that I fish, there's one, just one, where the extra distance actually matters. 

Tons of misinformation and assumptions in this thread. I guess I need to clear the air and shed some light on what is really going on at Lami.

First off, just so you guys know, although surfcasting in the Northeast means a lot more to Lami, it is one of the smallest parts of our business. The Northeast territory in its entirety in terms of sales for Lamiglas is about 10X smaller than our salmon and steelhead market in the Pacific Northwest.....surfcasting does not make up the entire Northeast rod market, especially for us. Lamiglas is #1 in salmon and steelhead rods in the PNW, bigger than St.Croix, bigger than Shimano, bigger than Okuma, bigger than everybody. So its easy to see where a lot of our focus goes.

Although the name Lamiglas is huge, we are actually still a pretty small, family run company, with limited resources. Lamiglas was at an all time low 4 years ago when Dick Posey passed away, there were multiple companies trying to come in and by Lamiglas, probably just to completely outsource overseas so it can turn into a huge profit center like most of the foreign brands all of you have grown to accept and follow these days. Tom Posey did not want to see that happen, and he damn sure didn't want to see his fathers legacy, and all of the 60 plus years it took for him to build Lamiglas just be thrown away, so he decided to take it over, for his father and his families name. It was a very tough first couple of years, and Lamiglas had to make some hard decisions and some sacrifices here and there, but I can assure you that Tom has got the ship sailing again and Lamiglas won't be going anywhere for another 70+ years.

Now with that being said, I appreciate everybody taking shots at the marketing director, some even calling me out by name (BRIANBM) without having a clue as to what I do for Lamiglas. As I said Lamiglas is still a small company with limited resources. I am the sole person who does all of their Marketing, E-Commerce, Social Media, Photography/Videography, Rod Development, Pro & Guide Team Management, National Promotion Events (I travel to 25 + shows a years all over the country), help out Tom big time internally creating policies and help run the company itself....and oh yeah, I am also the sole sales rep/manager for the ENTIRE east coast of the United States. Am I complaining one bit?? Heck no, I absolutely love my job and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Do I wish I had 20 people working under me to help the workload across all of those departments that I run, yes of course I do, but I am doing everything that I possibly can to help out this company. Being a kid from Long Island who grew up surfcasting and fished Lami GSBs for years and years.  Lamiglas was always my favorite rod company when I was a kid in New York, I never once thought in my life I would have the opportunity to do what I do now, having an office right next to the President and helping him run the company. 3 years now and still everyday it seems crazy to me.

Yes I wish I could just focus on one department, like Marketing, and do it 100% to the best of my abilities, but being spread out so thin comes with compromises. Every body who is actually in the fishing industry that knows me, knows just what I do and how hard I work for Lamiglas, and how much I've helped them grow in the past 3 years...especially in the Northeast. When I got here, Lamiglas was doing 0 shows in the NE, the factory GSB rods had cork handles and huge old school guide layouts, as did the Insane Surf, the Ron Arras and Super Surf had K frames with a cone of flight layout and a size 50 stripper guide, and our inshore lineup was pretty much limited to the TriFlex series that hadn't been updated in about 15 years.

Now we (and by we I mean ME) are displaying a booth at almost all of the shows in the NE every winter, releasing new inshore and surf rod series, completely transforming all of the existing NE lineup to catch up with times, built up a team of solid pro staffers, and I have everybody in the building opening their eyes and realizing that the Northeast market means much more to Lamiglas than the sales numbers show, as we have been involved in the surf market since day 1 with our 11' fiberglass surf rods, over 70 years ago!

I'm pretty much like the GSB of the company.....I can't do any one thing perfect, but I can do everything pretty well. So I personally apologize to you all if the Lamiglas Marketing isn't up to your standards, I can really only do so much, and trust me, I am doing EVERYTHING I can. It's not a 9-5 job for me, when I'm not flying out of town twice a month to do shows or corporate meetings, I'm on the Lami social media pages all night when I get home from the office, out all weekend getting photo content for us, and go to sleep and waking up thinking about Lamiglas.

Posted (edited) · Report post

51 mins ago, smk379 said:

Tons of misinformation and assumptions in this thread. I guess I need to clear the air and shed some light on what is really going on at Lami.

First off, just so you guys know, although surfcasting in the Northeast means a lot more to Lami, it is one of the smallest parts of our business. The Northeast territory in its entirety in terms of sales for Lamiglas is about 10X smaller than our salmon and steelhead market in the Pacific Northwest.....surfcasting does not make up the entire Northeast rod market, especially for us. Lamiglas is #1 in salmon and steelhead rods in the PNW, bigger than St.Croix, bigger than Shimano, bigger than Okuma, bigger than everybody. So its easy to see where a lot of our focus goes.

Although the name Lamiglas is huge, we are actually still a pretty small, family run company, with limited resources. Lamiglas was at an all time low 4 years ago when Dick Posey passed away, there were multiple companies trying to come in and by Lamiglas, probably just to completely outsource overseas so it can turn into a huge profit center like most of the foreign brands all of you have grown to accept and follow these days. Tom Posey did not want to see that happen, and he damn sure didn't want to see his fathers legacy, and all of the 60 plus years it took for him to build Lamiglas just be thrown away, so he decided to take it over, for his father and his families name. It was a very tough first couple of years, and Lamiglas had to make some hard decisions and some sacrifices here and there, but I can assure you that Tom has got the ship sailing again and Lamiglas won't be going anywhere for another 70+ years.

Now with that being said, I appreciate everybody taking shots at the marketing director, some even calling me out by name (BRIANBM) without having a clue as to what I do for Lamiglas. As I said Lamiglas is still a small company with limited resources. I am the sole person who does all of their Marketing, E-Commerce, Social Media, Photography/Videography, Rod Development, Pro & Guide Team Management, National Promotion Events (I travel to 25 + shows a years all over the country), help out Tom big time internally creating policies and help run the company itself....and oh yeah, I am also the sole sales rep/manager for the ENTIRE east coast of the United States. Am I complaining one bit?? Heck no, I absolutely love my job and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Do I wish I had 20 people working under me to help the workload across all of those departments that I run, yes of course I do, but I am doing everything that I possibly can to help out this company. Being a kid from Long Island who grew up surfcasting and fished Lami GSBs for years and years.  Lamiglas was always my favorite rod company when I was a kid in New York, I never once thought in my life I would have the opportunity to do what I do now, having an office right next to the President and helping him run the company. 3 years now and still everyday it seems crazy to me.

Yes I wish I could just focus on one department, like Marketing, and do it 100% to the best of my abilities, but being spread out so thin comes with compromises. Every body who is actually in the fishing industry that knows me, knows just what I do and how hard I work for Lamiglas, and how much I've helped them grow in the past 3 years...especially in the Northeast. When I got here, Lamiglas was doing 0 shows in the NE, the factory GSB rods had cork handles and huge old school guide layouts, as did the Insane Surf, the Ron Arras and Super Surf had K frames with a cone of flight layout and a size 50 stripper guide, and our inshore lineup was pretty much limited to the TriFlex series that hadn't been updated in about 15 years.

Now we (and by we I mean ME) are displaying a booth at almost all of the shows in the NE every winter, releasing new inshore and surf rod series, completely transforming all of the existing NE lineup to catch up with times, built up a team of solid pro staffers, and I have everybody in the building opening their eyes and realizing that the Northeast market means much more to Lamiglas than the sales numbers show, as we have been involved in the surf market since day 1 with our 11' fiberglass surf rods, over 70 years ago!

I'm pretty much like the GSB of the company.....I can't do any one thing perfect, but I can do everything pretty well. So I personally apologize to you all if the Lamiglas Marketing isn't up to your standards, I can really only do so much, and trust me, I am doing EVERYTHING I can. It's not a 9-5 job for me, when I'm not flying out of town twice a month to do shows or corporate meetings, I'm on the Lami social media pages all night when I get home from the office, out all weekend getting photo content for us, and go to sleep and waking up thinking about Lamiglas.

Well said

I inquired about the 25% off advertisement for all online purchased blanks. I was told however the 1321L is NOT available for discount.  What blanks exactly are available if not all of them? Also, is there a way I could purchase the blank for the online discount and pick it up locally?

Edited by DeepBlue85

27 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Well said

I inquired about the 25% off advertisement for all online purchased blanks. I was told however the 1321L is NOT available for discount.  What blanks exactly are available if not all of them? Also, is there a way I could purchase the blank for the online discount and pick it up locally?

Thank you.

That's just a blank that we do not offer online...any 1 piece over 8' for that matter, you could call up and order it but you'd have to pay the outrageous shipping fee. If you want to wait until Striper Day I could bring the blank there for you?

1 hour ago, smk379 said:

atta boy Sean, glad to see we still have the Lamiglas roots still at home.  Well said and keep up the hard work.  

Just now, norcalkat said:

atta boy Sean, glad to see we still have the Lamiglas roots still at home.  Well said and keep up the hard work.  

Thanks Orlando, I appreciate it!

49 mins ago, smk379 said:

A bit off-topic but:

On Nov. 1st I broke, clean in half, a 20+ year old XS 101 MS 10' on my first hook set of the night (on Island Beach State Park).  So, I used my other Lami the rest of the weekend.  On the 4th I telephoned Lamiglas and the young man (Eddie?) told me to fill out some on-line paperwork and cut out the ID portion of the rod and mail both to Woodland (and he would see what he could do for me).  Lamiglas received the rod piece on the 11th and called me the same day.  The fellow advised me of my options and I elected to pay $175 for a SSS10MHS | SuperSurf 2G Pro 10' 2-PC. 2-5oz. -retail is $459.  I was curious about the status of this situation this morning and sent an email to Lami's customer service dept.  I received a reply about an hour ago stating the stick was shipped on the 11th -the same day I chose my option!- and I should have it in a few days. 

I've never broken a rod before so I'm not familiar with the replacement process.  But I must say, I am one happy customer!  I buy Lami's for their performance.  Now I'll buy them for customer service too.

Many thanks to you, Sean K, and team Lamiglas. 

6 mins ago, Jettyhound said:

A bit off-topic but:

On Nov. 1st I broke, clean in half, a 20+ year old XS 101 MS 10' on my first hook set of the night (on Island Beach State Park).  So, I used my other Lami the rest of the weekend.  On the 4th I telephoned Lamiglas and the young man (Eddie?) told me to fill out some on-line paperwork and cut out the ID portion of the rod and mail both to Woodland (and he would see what he could do for me).  Lamiglas received the rod piece on the 11th and called me the same day.  The fellow advised me of my options and I elected to pay $175 for a SSS10MHS | SuperSurf 2G Pro 10' 2-PC. 2-5oz. -retail is $459.  I was curious about the status of this situation this morning and sent an email to Lami's customer service dept.  I received a reply about an hour ago stating the stick was shipped on the 11th -the same day I chose my option!- and I should have it in a few days. 

I've never broken a rod before so I'm not familiar with the replacement process.  But I must say, I am one happy customer!  I buy Lami's for their performance.  Now I'll buy them for customer service too.

Many thanks to you, Sean K, and team Lamiglas. 

Thanks so much man! We've really been working hard to better the customer service dept. here (yet another hat I wear) and make it easier for the guys on the east coast to get rods warrantied easier. 

50 mins ago, smk379 said:

Thank you.

That's just a blank that we do not offer online...any 1 piece over 8' for that matter, you could call up and order it but you'd have to pay the outrageous shipping fee. If you want to wait until Striper Day I could bring the blank there for you?

Ok no problem, not sure i never end up making it to any shows but if I'm there this year I'll stop by.  On a side note if you need any "assistance" testing anything out I'd be a willing and qualified test pig. 

Plus I just really want a few extra rods in the quiver 8-)