striper79

lamiglas night shift

Rate this topic

106 posts in this topic

12 mins ago, Drew C. said:

What does lami do well? Their star product is a what 30+ year old blank? They don’t do stock rods well at all. They don’t do freshwater stuff well, same with fly rods. 

St croix has a solid surf business across multiple price points. They dominate freshwater, make decent fly stuff. 

Other players have done more in the surf than in the last few years than lami has in the last 20. 

Then consider a crashing striped bass resource and every other inshore fishery here in the NE is in the crapper as well. 

Not looking good for a one trick pony. 

ps - the vid at the start of this thread, it’s how many months old and it’s the first that I’ve heard of their ‘new’ rod line? 

pps - they’ve teamed up with an online magazine for their new rod?

Do you think they only catered  to the east coast Striper fisherman for the last 30 years. Go to west coast, Alaska or anywhere there are salmon, trout or stripers hybrids included. They are bigger then you are giving them credit . As far as I’m concerned they helped lead they way in many aspects. Like the old Penn 700 series. I still use sometimes 706 and 704 they and the GSB blanks will always have a place in fishing. I’m not trying to argument but it seems like the striper doom and gloom has a lot of people on edge . 

40 mins ago, PissonDFS said:

Do you think they only catered  to the east coast Striper fisherman for the last 30 years. Go to west coast, Alaska or anywhere there are salmon, trout or stripers hybrids included. They are bigger then you are giving them credit . As far as I’m concerned they helped lead they way in many aspects. Like the old Penn 700 series. I still use sometimes 706 and 704 they and the GSB blanks will always have a place in fishing. I’m not trying to argument but it seems like the striper doom and gloom has a lot of people on edge . 

Yes, they have a west coast presence. I assume a niche type market like NE surf. Perhaps they can survive on that and that alone. 

More or my point - they don't seem to be very well run. Case in point the video at the start of this thread. ICAST is what, June? This is the first that I'm hearing of their new line and its November?

Way to create some buzz guys...

ps - a $700 stock surf rod with alconite K's? Good luck with that.

The gent who owned the company, name escapes me, passed away a few years ago. My impression is that the heirs aren't sure if they want to run it, or how to run it. This is exactly what happened to Newell reels. Pity .... I don't think they can sit on their GSB glories, Korean and Chinese product, of excellent quality, is going to eat them alive from below while some hyperpriced Japanese rods, together with Century, will eat them from above. Too bad, so sad, so it goes.

The guys at Ess Jay com are doubtless better anglers than I will ever be, but relying on them to market product is kinda lame.  I think Redhawk just reviewed two high-end rods. One was an ODM, and the other was a Century.  

Just in regards to social media following,  which says a lot regarding marketing in 2019, lamiglass has a much much larger presence. Their social media site also depicts more than just the striper market. I feel that their failure to produce a rod consistent with the GSBs of past, relative to their time, is an indication that they have been focusing on more than just the stripedbass market. 

3 hours ago, PissonDFS said:

Who would you recommend that’s been around as long as Lamiglas?? I’m sure you have several. I can’t think of any. I’m willing to bet 20 years from now Lamiglas will still be around. I do agree with you about bad marketing and crazy price points on some of the new surf rods. 

This is the Quote I’m waiting on a answer from you. What companies have been around in the (Surf) fishing industry longer. I’m very curious. How many St Croix rods do you honestly see from the OBX to Cape Cod Canal used for Stripers. I bet it’s 20-1 and Lamiglas is 50%-70% smaller Company. 

1 hour ago, the3fishheads said:

Where is this night shift lami? 

On their website, under surf rods.

The passionate love for "old" GSB blanks is also a comment on how elderly Lami's fan base has become. I like my Lamis (120-1M, 1322; both conventional; a 10' Perigee, which is ideal for a smaller-bass universe) as well as anyone, but younger anglers have less reason to be so devoted.

5 hours ago, PissonDFS said:

As well it should

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, BrianBM said:

On their website, under surf rods.

The passionate love for "old" GSB blanks is also a comment on how elderly Lami's fan base has become. I like my Lamis (120-1M, 1322; both conventional; a 10' Perigee, which is ideal for a smaller-bass universe) as well as anyone, but younger anglers have less reason to be so devoted.

Eeeehhhhhhhh, while statistically that may be the relative case I'm confident it's not a result of ineffective technology ..antiquated as it may be.  I wont get into debate on the function of a gsb vs high end new stuff but I will say 90% of anglers now using the new tech never maximized the potential of "old lamis" in the first place.  Couple that with the heavier dimensions of the old lamis and before you know it people are equating a great surf rod that "the cool kids" fish with super light weight 400 dollar guide set ups and blacked out everything.  Now I like all that too but with the vanity that's clearly taken over the industry, to have anything lesser than the newest is somehow now a reflection of one's knowledge rather than their sheer ability.  I wont question how many people are out there trying to buy their next best cast, or their best look, but with the youtheful marketing achieved by all the other new companies, I feel lami will be left behind.  It's entirely cultural and I suppose thats the saddest thing of all.

Edited by DeepBlue85

1 min ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Eeeehhhhhhhh, while statistically that may be the relative case I'm not sure it's a result of ineffective technology .....antiquated as it may be.  I wont get into debate on the function of a gsb vs high end new stuff but I will say 90% of anglers now using the new tech never maximized the potential of "old lamis" in the first place.  Couple that with the heavier dimensions of the old lamis and before you know it people are equating a great surf rod that "the cool kids" fish with super light weight 400 dollar guide set ups and blacked out everything.  Now I like all that too but with the vanity that's clearly taken over the industry, to have anything lesser than the newest is somehow now a reflection of one's knowledge rather than their sheer ability.  I wont question how many people are out there trying to buy their next best cast, or their best look, but with the youtheful marketing achieved by all the other new companies, I feel lami will be left behind.  It's entirely cultural and I suppose thats the saddest thing of all.

I agree with you. The problem with rod blank manufactures over seas is one company will produce 100 different blanks let’s say to 5 companies. Every one will try to up sell there rods are better then the competition. The real difference is the hardware on the blank and who’s name is on it. Its interesting if you look into blank manufacturers. I started building rods in 1983. And have a lot to learn with new technology. To me is it really needed to catch fish. I think it’s a lot of hype 

6 hours ago, Drew C. said:

What does lami do well? Their star product is a what 30+ year old blank? They don’t do stock rods well at all. They don’t do freshwater stuff well, same with fly rods. 

St croix has a solid surf business across multiple price points. They dominate freshwater, make decent fly stuff. 

Other players have done more in the surf than in the last few years than lami has in the last 20. 

Then consider a crashing striped bass resource and every other inshore fishery here in the NE is in the crapper as well. 

Not looking good for a one trick pony. 

ps - the vid at the start of this thread, it’s how many months old and it’s the first that I’ve heard of their ‘new’ rod line? 

pps - they’ve teamed up with an online magazine for their new rod?

And the magazine company has a youtube channel which is fairly popular.  and they never once mentioned it....

Crazy that this thread is the first I've heard of it.    

I followed them on Instagram....and it's a million trout and salmon pics....which while beautiful....nobody cares about pacific northwest fish

On 11/9/2019 at 7:54 PM, scoobydoo said:

Want to know what makes a successful rod company in 2019...................Marketing......Lamiglas is the worst of the established companies at that.  

For me not to have heard of a new ultra premium surf rod....is insane.....I literally earn my living looking up and playing with the latest and greatest fishing gear....and I ain't heard anything....not from lamiglas..or from the 10,000 people that have commented or reached out to me directly since icast.

And that's about both rods.

And none of the shops I work with even mentioned it.  

The rod is named after ********** Merch.......Yet nowhere on their platforms have I seen a mention of it.   Maybe in their print publication but what's that worth in 2019.

Who are you again? It sounds like that annoying kid from high school who couldn't make student council.  Dont loose your day job. :howdy:

24 mins ago, Terry Mac said:

Who are you again? It sounds like that annoying kid from high school who couldn't make student council.  Dont loose your day job. :howdy:

My day job is critiquing fishing gear.....not planning on quitting any time soon.

3 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

My day job is critiquing fishing gear.....not planning on quitting any time soon.

Sorry too hear this. Best wishes. :(