striper79

lamiglas night shift

Rate this topic

106 posts in this topic

Gotta agree w/ Brian & Scooby. Maybe I’ll just put a finer point on it. Wiskey Tango Foxtrot what are they thinking?

God bless ‘em on trying to get the company turned around, and probably not having much money to do it with. Scooby hit the first point squarely on target.  The video did nothing to engage me and point me toward buying the rod, they didn’t describe why it should be considered best in class or what it does very well. Are there any models in the line that are unique and would create some buzz? I have my 3/4-4 that is super sweet at 1.5 to 3 and  I got the double unobtainium rod that utterly great for 2.5 to 4.5. How about something with some backbone that perfect for .75 to 1.5, I’ll take it in 10 or 11. Here in California, we’re fishing smaller offerings quite a bit, my most productive plug this year has been a 1.25 oz Winch popper, followed by a 1.1 oz colt sniper, followed by sp minnows, followed by 3/4 oz jig heads. 

I can understand why I haven’t heard of them, but Scooby? There is no market awareness for these rods, no buzz, no nothing. Kil is on here so much it’s become our own little inside joke, but he’s getting us to talk about, and buy, Black Hole

Brian hit the other point squarely as well. Why should I buy a $700 rod from Lamiglass?  Both CTS and Century have done a good job of positioning as leaders in advanced composites and fishing rod design. Whether it’s leveraging new materials, or unique manufacturing techniques, they are giving us unique brand attributes in this area to latch on to, and they make it sound sexy. It’s how they giggle their titties at us.

As a USA based manufacturer, I want to support them, but there needs to be more to it than that. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, BrianBM said:

The company does seem to be staggering in circles of late.

If you're going to market surf rods at a $700 price point, like Century is doing successfully, you'd better have some bleeding-edge technology to brag about. Autoclaves, nanobuzz, graphene, guides lined with unobtanium, and so on ... what's Lami got? And I've yet to see a comment by anyone who has fished one of theses, or built a rod on a blank. 

It's ridiculous that Lami doesn't bother to have a designated representative on this site every day. BH does, Century de facto does, Penn does, Daiwa does. Lami and St. Croix should do so too. 

Maybe they feel the overstated presence of an advocate / sales rep would delegitimize the product, banking on those who want to pay the price though isnt enough to establish a reputation for the new series.  Someone from lami should be speaking on behalf of ALL their products and where each line fits in the line up.

Frankly I bellieve their strength moving forward CAN be a line up that spans various presentations and price ranges from the proven older models to the new-age higher dollar material that with proper representation and their pre-existing reputation, should sell well regardles of price.

Edited by DeepBlue85

1 min ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Maybe they feel the overstated presence of an advocate / sales rep would delegitimize the product, banking on those who want to pay the price though isnt enough to establish a reputation for the new series.  Someone from lami should be speaking in behalf of ALL their products and where each line falls in the line up.

We have AFMike and (occasionally) Ryan White on this site. That does more for awareness of the brand than that awful website will do in a thousand years.

Have any of the guys who review rods on other sites, like Redhawk, reviewed the new Lamiglas rods yet?

1 hour ago, Alferd Packer said:

Gotta agree w/ Brian & Scooby. Maybe I’ll just put a finer point on it. Wiskey Tango Foxtrot what are they thinking?

God bless ‘em on trying to get the company turned around, and probably not having much money to do it with. Scooby hit the first point squarely on target.  The video did nothing to engage me and point me toward buying the rod, they didn’t describe why it should be considered best in class or what it does very well. Are there any models in the line that are unique and would create some buzz? I have my 3/4-4 that is super sweet at 1.5 to 3 and  I got the double unobtainium rod that utterly great for 2.5 to 4.5. How about something with some backbone that perfect for .75 to 1.5, I’ll take it in 10 or 11. Here in California, we’re fishing smaller offerings quite a bit, my most productive plug this year has been a 1.25 oz Winch popper, followed by a 1.1 oz colt sniper, followed by sp minnows, followed by 3/4 oz jig heads. 

I can understand why I haven’t heard of them, but Scooby? There is no market awareness for these rods, no buzz, no nothing. Kil is on here so much it’s become our own little inside joke, but he’s getting us to talk about, and buy, Black Hole

Brian hit the other point squarely as well. Why should I buy a $700 rod from Lamiglass?  Both CTS and Century have done a good job of positioning as leaders in advanced composites and fishing rod design. Whether it’s leveraging new materials, or unique manufacturing techniques, they are giving us unique brand attributes in this area to latch on to, and they make it sound sexy. It’s how they giggle their titties at us.

As a USA based manufacturer, I want to support them, but there needs to be more to it than that. 

A very well-turned phrase.  I appreciate a well-giggled titty in all possible contexts.

17 mins ago, BrianBM said:

We have AFMike and (occasionally) Ryan White on this site. That does more for awareness of the brand than that awful website will do in a thousand years.

Have any of the guys who review rods on other sites, like Redhawk, reviewed the new Lamiglas rods yet?

Nothing recent that I know of.  

I'd be glad to offer a comprehensive review of all their products, starting with their mh gsb line of blanks which I absolutely love and fish in three different cuts. Considering all I fish are gsb's i suppose any review would be a rather partial one.

Edited by DeepBlue85

33 mins ago, BrianBM said:

A very well-turned phrase.  I appreciate a well-giggled titty in all possible contexts.

Thank you. And....

.... Exactly!

22 hours ago, valentine said:

Sorry, I just can’t see myself shelling  out that kind of dough for a fishing rod.

For a non custom rod at least.

I played around with the NS a bit and it was nice, but it felt like any other lami I've ever used. I'd rather spend the money on an ODM custom or similar. My opinion.

4 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

For a non custom rod at least.

I played around with the NS a bit and it was nice, but it felt like any other lami I've ever used. I'd rather spend the money on an ODM custom or similar. My opinion.

Yes, I should have qualified my statement a bit more. I was thinking that the price is well beyond what a factory rod should cost. 

I even have custom rods which cost far less than that  but I’ve seen some pretty wild custom builds which have prices up in the stratosphere. 

25 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

I'd rather spend the money on an ODM custom or similar. My opinion.

At that price point, this is right on the money.

On 11/9/2019 at 6:29 PM, DeepBlue85 said:

Maybe they feel the overstated presence of an advocate / sales rep would delegitimize the product, banking on those who want to pay the price though isnt enough to establish a reputation for the new series.  Someone from lami should be speaking on behalf of ALL their products and where each line fits in the line up.

Frankly I bellieve their strength moving forward CAN be a line up that spans various presentations and price ranges from the proven older models to the new-age higher dollar material that with proper representation and their pre-existing reputation, should sell well regardles of price.

Want to know what makes a successful rod company in 2019...................Marketing......Lamiglas is the worst of the established companies at that.  

For me not to have heard of a new ultra premium surf rod....is insane.....I literally earn my living looking up and playing with the latest and greatest fishing gear....and I ain't heard anything....not from lamiglas..or from the 10,000 people that have commented or reached out to me directly since icast.

And that's about both rods.

And none of the shops I work with even mentioned it.  

The rod is named after ********** Merch.......Yet nowhere on their platforms have I seen a mention of it.   Maybe in their print publication but what's that worth in 2019.

Edited by TimS

9 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Guys that love gsb’s May want to consider stocking up - solid companies don’t make moves like this...

Who would you recommend that’s been around as long as Lamiglas?? I’m sure you have several. I can’t think of any. I’m willing to bet 20 years from now Lamiglas will still be around. I do agree with you about bad marketing and crazy price points on some of the new surf rods. 

Guys that love gsb’s May want to consider stocking up - solid companies don’t make moves like this...

What do you mean? Not being a d---, genuinely curious.

Exactly what I've been doing the last three years, mixed in two of their glb's as well which I personaly love.  

40 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

What do you mean? Not being a d---, genuinely curious.

What does lami do well? Their star product is a what 30+ year old blank? They don’t do stock rods well at all. They don’t do freshwater stuff well, same with fly rods. 

St croix has a solid surf business across multiple price points. They dominate freshwater, make decent fly stuff. 

Other players have done more in the surf than in the last few years than lami has in the last 20. 

Then consider a crashing striped bass resource and every other inshore fishery here in the NE is in the crapper as well. 

Not looking good for a one trick pony. 

ps - the vid at the start of this thread, it’s how many months old and it’s the first that I’ve heard of their ‘new’ rod line? 

pps - they’ve teamed up with an online magazine for their new rod?

Edited by Drew C.