More consequences of climate change

Rate this topic

smath

I am all for doing what we can to reduce our impact on nature, but why is the US the only one responsible and the only one constantly being put on a guilt trip about it? China's pollution makes the US look like a hard boiled egg fart. But everything is put on the shoulders of the US to fix. Chinese need to wear masks to breath, but my car getting 25mpg instead of 40 is really the cause?

Living in a rural suburb that in the last 20 years has become more suburb and commercial is more of the problem then the farting cows. I've watched 10's of thousands of acres go from farm land or wood land to giant concrete buildings or houses crammed together like sardines. We have more people and less plants to consume the CO2. The more people, the more food we need; but we keep destroying farm lands and having to import our food. Sadly, humans are on the same line as locusts. We consume everything and really don't give anything back, at least the locusts are good for birds to eat.

I spent a week in Disney and one area in EPCOT goes into great detail on new farming ideas that really are impressive. Growing as much lettuce in one acre as 100 acres of traditional farming. Using the water from a hydroponic type system to also raise fish, the fish fertilize the water in turn. These are the kinds of ideas we need as we keep reducing farm lands. The problem is that most farms are being commercialized and the companies won't invest the kind of money to change over until it's too late. It's just like the auto and steel industries, why modernize when you can make money now using old methods. In the long run you make more money modernizing, but you have to give up money in the short term.

I started this topic because the fly fishing forum had been discussing how politicians were not listening to scientists about the dangers of over-fishing striped bass. I assumed this article would interest those folks who supported the notion that scientific findings should guide policy. I assume most people who posted replies did not read the article I referenced. The main point of the article was that the scallop harvest in Peconic Bay was decimated this year by warmer waters in the bay. If you're concerned about our marine resources this should concern you since the climate (not weather) trends are towards warmer temperatures in the future, a finding supported by an overwhelming majority of climate scientists. There was a time during the George H. W. Bush administration when this was not a controversial subject and both Republicans and Democrats supported policies to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. It's truly unfortunate that this issue became so politicized.

Well in all fairness here.....it wasn’t the good guys that started that. The Goracle of Doom and then came all the good things that could be done if we just got more money. The lectures, the accusations, the wild eye predictions. Why do you even care about some shellfish when we all are going to die in twelve tears ?

It is political because of the solutions you wish to impose on people that are just a little brighter than you give credit for. It is a hoax.

6 hours ago, Hirdy said:

Sorry, I'm not your research agent. There are plenty of scientific references for you to read.

Exactly so what you can’t say, which means n one knows.........how about Great South Bay and other areas are getting polluted with weed killers and fertilizer?

59 mins ago, Flybyme said:

Exactly so what you can’t say, which means n one knows.........how about Great South Bay and other areas are getting polluted with weed killers and fertilizer?

Maybe the shellfish are using the birth control meds flushed down the toilet?

I want Tarpon and Snook to move North, so I do all I can to increase Greenhouse gasses.

Matter of fact, my car is idling in my driveway right now.

Material abundance without character is the path of destruction.
-Thomas Jefferson
There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn't true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.
-Soren Kierkegaard

15 mins ago, dena said:

Maybe the shellfish are using the birth control meds flushed down the toilet?

I want Tarpon and Snook to move North, so I do all I can to increase Greenhouse gasses.

Matter of fact, my car is idling in my driveway right now.

No he knows that is not the reason. Gullible Warming done all that. 

Get a burn barrel and burn styrofoam and plastics in it so you can do your part to live up to the political condemnations they have for you. I like to douse balloons with brake fluid.

On 11/8/2019 at 10:23 PM, FishHawk II said:

It is too bad and unfortunate that this serious issue has become politicalized. I fish in Alaska and the permafrost is melting and villages have to move because of this. So what say you deniers ? FishHawk

I wish we had video of the land bridge connecting Alaska and Asia.

When it gets warm enough, can we grow wheat where the tundra is now? 

Will Antarctica become habitable? 

I suspect things will all balance out.... 

I suspect we humans will adapt. We have that tendency as do most living organisms on this planet. 

Those that don't, oh well. Those that do will be better for it. 

Survival of the fittest. Evolution is a wonderful thing. It's what got everything where it is today. 

Stagnation is bad. Change is good, why is everybody fighting it? :shrug:

On 11/8/2019 at 10:23 PM, FishHawk II said:

It is too bad and unfortunate that this serious issue has become politicalized. I fish in Alaska and the permafrost is melting and villages have to move because of this. So what say you deniers ? FishHawk

Us deniers will continue to insist, while having historical proof to back us, that the climate has been and always will be changing. The permafrost started melting 10,000 years ago. At some point it will stop melting when the current warming cycle ends and the next cooling cycle begins. At that time the permafrost will deepen. Then the cycle will continue until the Sun explodes some 4,000,000,000 years from now. 

move to florida... we don't have climate change here or sea level rise until someone shows up with their hand out.

We had a "scientist" come to town meeting and insist that the Sea Level on our island has gone up 2 centimeters in 10 years.

Another guy asked: "How much has it gone up on the Bay side?"

The plan is to get our town to raise $50 to $100 million for a construction "climate" consultant to raise our roads.

They point to the looney tune at UM RSMAS - not a scientist - who says he's confident the sea level will rise at least 6 feet in 30 years.

If the sea level in florida rises 3-feet in 15 years, the entire lower half of the state will be submerged and uninhabitable.

If this were true, Coastal Florida properties would be utterly worthless regardless of how high you raised your roads and how aggressive you tried to tackle "climate change"

3 hours ago, J said:

When it gets warm enough, can we grow wheat where the tundra is now? 

Siberia could feed the entire worlds population and some, as could the Canadian NorthWest and Nunavit Territories.

Is not the reality that human life can live and adapt to the extremes of heat and cold, as well as every climate in between.

We will adapt to any and every climate change if needed.

Politicians and diapers should be changed often and regularly,  invariably for the same reason.

"You can fool all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot fool all the people all the time."
Attributed to Abraham Lincoln.