olvart

Scoob's 2019 Spheros SW Inshore review

Rate this topic

21 posts in this topic

9 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

Definitely going to take a look. Hey @scoobydoo, do you have any thoughts on the Socorro? 

Pass......Way overpriced for what it is.   Hex handle, no seals, all plastic....crappy handle knob.  Go spheros.

It was in this video...and I gave it a golden turd award.

I have no doubts it's a strong reel that can catch fish.   But Didn't think it was worth it for its 130$ price....I remember the day after I put out this video.  Shimano dropped the price to around 100 or something like that....it's come back up a bit since.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I did enjoy that video @scoobydoo and I wonder if Daiwa will respond further than lowering msrp on the procyon. I doubt the BG will drop but maybe we will see a $150 Saltist Back Bay? I enjoy fishing this reel, as well as the Stradic FL, but I keep reaching for my SaltistBB over them both.

 

I did unfortunately bend a spool shaft on my SBB by palming the spool too much on heavy fish. Luckily I was able to source a replacement for cheap. With more drag "capability" I hope the Spheros/Stradic have stronger shafts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, olvart said:

Thanks!!!

You're welcome... Though not a review... Just Comparison.. Also realized I left out the stainless spool shaft on the spheros vs coated hardened aluminum on the Stradics 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sir Defyable said:

I did enjoy that video @scoobydoo and I wonder if Daiwa will respond further than lowering msrp on the procyon. I doubt the BG will drop but maybe we will see a $150 Saltist Back Bay? I enjoy fishing this reel, as well as the Stradic FL, but I keep reaching for my SaltistBB over them both.

 

I did unfortunately bend a spool shaft on my SBB by palming the spool too much on heavy fish. Luckily I was able to source a replacement for cheap. With more drag "capability" I hope the Spheros/Stradic have stronger shafts

I don't think so.  At least not anytime soon.  Though I wouldn't put it past them to release a zaion framed zinc geared non mag sealed reel at the same price which would be pretty cool...And I say cool being someone who despises all the redundant price point reels they offer all over the world.  That one would make sense...while the procyone vs tatula makes no sense as it's essentially just a crbb difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

scooby although not designed to be dunked If i bought the spheros and swapped the bearing for ceramic....could it be a poor man's vs? can't handle 600 for a dunk reel....has to be a better solution...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Great review. I've beat the crapolla out of a spheros sw 6000 for 5 years with only basic maintenance and its still the smoothest most reliable reel I've fished.  best $200 I ever spent on any fishing gear with spare spools at $40 each.   While still a decent value I'm really disappointed to see the inshore doesn't hold up the SW's standard and don't regret waiting for it.  Would LOVE a spheros or gossa 3/4k but am really enjoying abusing the saltist back bay so won't think twice.

Edited by Bait Tailer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

11 hours ago, dan_d said:

scooby although not designed to be dunked If i bought the spheros and swapped the bearing for ceramic....could it be a poor man's vs? can't handle 600 for a dunk reel....has to be a better solution...

 

No such thing as a poor mans VS.

 

Bearings aren't quad seals.

 

And Full zr02 or Sini bearings in all the needed sizes at tolerances required to support gearing would cost you more in importing and tossing crap samples.

 

And the reel in this vid is Spheros in name only...it's an Ultregra FB / Stradic FK hybrid. with a CF drag and a busing at the line roller and sideplate.

 

 

 

Edited by scoobydoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

vs bearings are quad shielded?  interesting....i have never taken apart or fished with a van reel...so i'm curious about the engineering and reel design...im reading alan hawks review of the vs 200 now...no wonder the reels are that expensive i had no clue that type of bearing existed...thanks again and your reviews and commentary are spot on the distance casting stuff was gold...love the low level technical stuff it helps when researching a future purchase and filters out the bull ****...

 

thanks again scooby..

 

dan

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I just got one on Tuesday for large mouth reel I can use in saltwater. I 100% agree with you about the name. I feel like calling it a spheros inshore turns off 70% of the potential market for the reel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What do you see as the pluses and minuses of the bushing in the roller vs a bearing. The Shimmy roller bearings have been the sore spot for many, wondering if the bushing gains in reliability and what effect it has in the fluidity of retrieving with line pressure on the bushing. Sounds to me like adding a few bearings instead of the stock bushings may be a grand slam bargain on a very capable reel.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

Pass......Way overpriced for what it is.   Hex handle, no seals, all plastic....crappy handle knob.  Go spheros.

It was in this video...and I gave it a golden turd award.

I have no doubts it's a strong reel that can catch fish.   But Didn't think it was worth it for its 130$ price....I remember the day after I put out this video.  Shimano dropped the price to around 100 or something like that....it's come back up a bit since.

 

 

Good to know. I agree with the handle knob. When I felt it in stores it sucked.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

No such thing as a poor mans VS.

The spheros / saragosa sw is as close as it gets.  Still using the same one since your first review it. All original parts minus the knob. More reliable than my vsx.  I could have save thousands without buying another reel, I mean reelssss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 mins ago, hobobob said:

The spheros / saragosa sw is as close as it gets.  Still using the same one since your first review it. All original parts minus the knob. More reliable than my vsx.  I could have save thousands without buying another reel, I mean reelssss.

Love my 5k and 6k Spheros SW.

 

But I think for the smaller Spheros SW, get a discounted Stradic FK for $150 or less instead.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.