capesams

Pichney collectors ?

27 posts in this topic

Any other pichney collectors out there that you may know of who don't belong to this site or one's you can contact to join in..I know there are others out there in water world...Thanks

This is what strikes me funny...doesn't matter who or what you collect...it's the fact no one seems to want to contact each other and talk about their collection...or trade pictures etc....doesn't matter if you don't like this site or who runs it...your sharing with others what you have worked so hard to collect not horde it away never to be seen again by anyone....could it be they don't want text's,pm's or calls getting bugged to sell something they have....I know collectors can be an odd bunch...but we do have the same interests.

the danny thread here is a great thing..bar none...thanks Bob.....while I'm still above ground...I'd love to hear from other Pichney folks....PS...I don't bite .

3 hours ago, capesams said:

This is what strikes me funny...doesn't matter who or what you collect...it's the fact no one seems to want to contact each other and talk about their collection...or trade pictures etc....doesn't matter if you don't like this site or who runs it...your sharing with others what you have worked so hard to collect not horde it away never to be seen again by anyone....could it be they don't want text's,pm's or calls getting bugged to sell something they have....I know collectors can be an odd bunch...but we do have the same interests.

the danny thread here is a great thing..bar none...thanks Bob.....while I'm still above ground...I'd love to hear from other Pichney folks....PS...I don't bite .

I agree steve. Makes me wonder why guys collect but yet they want their collection to remain private. I understand but I don’t also. 

It’s more like a mouse trap game at times.  You want to show the world what you have but at the same time you want to find more that may under the Radar . Also time and time again you post a new item and everyone now wants to collects them and your the loser as they get harder to find because you posted a picture.

Happens every day in the collecting world not just lures , we’ll maybe just fishing stuff.  Lol

I think the reason is that Danny's customers were a comparatively small group of fisherman that fished  comparatively secluded areas and had no interest in collecting plugs and wanted finishes that were most productive in those areas. You already know the two guys that likely had the highest likelihood of special colors and models. Simply stated the same handful of colors were the most productive in the areas where his base customers fished. My opinion is this is why you see such a limited selection of Danny plugs out there. Most differences were variations of the same plug made by Danny himself which in my opinion were due to unique and irregular component acquisition and Danny just being Danny. I, and likely so did most others,  found his standard models and colors so effective for these areas there was little need to think outside the box. The "rarities" that show up from time to time were just someone's idea or concept of building a "better mousetrap". His stuff just "worked".

Although I have[copied] built "just" about every vintage plug known from the 50's on up to the 70's...I respect the ingenuity of the folks who came up with the best of enticements we used today...but there's just something about Danny's stuff that floats my boat like no other...they were built to fish for sure..built like a tank...and best of all for me they have a crudeness or folk art look to them..built in dents painted over...brush hairs in the finish...sawdust in the paint....he took the time to go the extra mile to make them last unlike many made today...granted he had far better paint an finish to work with...punched the grommets and glued them in...punched the lips so they wouldn't slip an slide...yep! wished I had known him..think we would have gotten along real well.

8 mins ago, capesams said:

Although I have[copied] built "just" about every vintage plug known from the 50's on up to the 70's...I respect the ingenuity of the folks who came up with the best of enticements we used today...but there's just something about Danny's stuff that floats my boat like no other...they were built to fish for sure..built like a tank...and best of all for me they have a crudeness or folk art look to them..built in dents painted over...brush hairs in the finish...sawdust in the paint....he took the time to go the extra mile to make them last unlike many made today...granted he had far better paint an finish to work with...punched the grommets and glued them in...punched the lips so they wouldn't slip an slide...yep! wished I had known him..think we would have gotten along real well.

Again in my opinion. The crudeness factor was twofold. Danny realized that fancy paint was just a waste of his time and his customers apparently agreed. Danny would have painted anything that anyone wanted. His customers seemed to prefer basic lures that worked and were not willing to pay for features deemed unnecessary. My other belief is the finished product also was a reflection of the shop they were built in. I mean he hand tied his hooks, originally trebles, without the aid of a vise and held the hook in his hand. Doesn't get more primitive than that. his templates and notes were primitive and scribbles in a notebook. His finished product was exactly as he wished it to be. He built plugs for a reason and the reason was to fund a specific purpose. He did things the way he did them because he found a niche that worked for both himself and his customers

4 hours ago, SC said:

Again in my opinion. The crudeness factor was twofold. Danny realized that fancy paint was just a waste of his time and his customers apparently agreed. Danny would have painted anything that anyone wanted. His customers seemed to prefer basic lures that worked and were not willing to pay for features deemed unnecessary. My other belief is the finished product also was a reflection of the shop they were built in. I mean he hand tied his hooks, originally trebles, without the aid of a vise and held the hook in his hand. Doesn't get more primitive than that. his templates and notes were primitive and scribbles in a notebook. His finished product was exactly as he wished it to be. He built plugs for a reason and the reason was to fund a specific purpose. He did things the way he did them because he found a niche that worked for both himself and his customers

and I believe he did it for the love of the sport and the personal satisfaction he got when his creations were appreciated, certainly not for the merger amount he charged.

Danny's standard colors worked so well that I personally had a dilemma with using the special order colors that I had him make for me. I thought up certain colors that I felt would work real well. But when the fish were in and everyone was catching them with his standard colors, I had a hard time testing the special colors, out of the fear of not catching anything. Didn't want to take the chance of not getting fish with stripers going for $3 lb. or more back in the day. Then if I tried the special colors when no one was catching I wouldn't really know if the special colors worked or not because there may not have been any fish around. Sort of a catch 22.