moonbat

Trump Committing "Felony Bribery"

Rate this topic

73 posts in this topic

So says the former White House Ethics lawyer  under President George W Bush.

So is it bribery or not?  What do the PG Cognoscenti have to say?  BTW those Republican Senators who did not sign the Senate resolution?  $0

From Newsweek

Attorney Richard Painter, who served as the chief White House ethics lawyer in the George W. Bush administration, warned on Thursday that President Donald Trump appeared to be committing "felony bribery" by giving Republican senators fundraising cash ahead of an increasingly likely impeachment trial in the Senate.

The lawyer shared an article published by Politico on Thursday morning. Titled "Trump lures GOP senators on impeachment with cold cash," the article outlined how the president is turning to his large network of donors to raise funds for a few senators facing difficult re-election campaigns in 2020. All of those senators have also signed a resolution condemning the Democratic-led impeachment inquiry.

"This is a bribe. Any other American who offered cash to the jury before a trial would go to prison for felony bribery. But he can get away with it?" Painter, a law professor at the University of Minnesota, wrote on twitter "Criminal."

In a follow-up tweet, Painter argued that GOP lawmakers who accept the fundraising support should face criminal charges as well:

"The senators can raise their own campaign cash. Any senator who accepts cash from @realDonaldTrump before the impeachment trial is guilty of accepting a bribe and should go to the slammer," he tweeted.

6 mins ago, moonbat said:

So says the former White House Ethics lawyer  under President George W Bush.

So is it bribery or not?  What do the PG Cognoscenti have to say?  BTW those Republican Senators who did not sign the Senate resolution?  $0

From Newsweek

More anti-Trump pretzel logic.  So now political contributions are bribery?  BTW, up until Trump your queen Nancy was the best ever at reaping political contributions and dolling them out to loyal politicians.  Ask Bernie how the system works.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

That article says two different things. It says that donors are raising money for the senators’ campaigns, but at the end is says something about taking money from the @realdonaldtrump 

I imagine those two things look very different in the eyes of the law. 

1 min ago, saltydawg said:

That article says two different things. It says that donors are raising money for the senators’ campaigns, but at the end is says something about taking money from the @realdonaldtrump 

I imagine those two things look very different in the eyes of the law. 

Is this the section you are commenting on?

...the president is turning to his large network of donors to raise funds for a few senators facing difficult re-election campaigns in 2020.

The sentence is poorly written.  I understand it to mean (and I think so is the Bush ethics lawyer) that Trump is raising the cash and sending it to the senators.

4 mins ago, eddy said:

VOTE FOR ME............I'LL GET YOU MORE WELFARE!!!!!!!

that's not a ****ing bribe?

All juries vote, but not all voters are juries.

Nice try though.

1 min ago, moonbat said:

Is this the section you are commenting on?

...the president is turning to his large network of donors to raise funds for a few senators facing difficult re-election campaigns in 2020.

The sentence is poorly written.  I understand it to mean (and I think so is the Bush ethics lawyer) that Trump is raising the cash and sending it to the senators.

They sent out emails to their donor list asking for donations for the senators saying explicitly that it was for support in a possible impeachment trial. The cash wasn't coming from Trump as I understand it.

7 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

More anti-Trump pretzel logic.  So now political contributions are bribery?  BTW, up until Trump your queen Nancy was the best ever at reaping political contributions and dolling them out to loyal politicians.

Again it appears you did not read as in the other thread I started.

The person saying this was WH ethics lawyer with George W Bush.

2 mins ago, Dave S said:

Wow...... just wow.   Spin twist and stretch-  somehow the words will fall into place so you can claim a crime. 

I am just posting what the WH ethics lawyer under GWB wrote.

Nothing more.

Just now, The Dude said:

They sent out emails to their donor list asking for donations for the senators saying explicitly that it was for support in a possible impeachment trial. The cash wasn't coming from Trump as I understand it.

Right, which is likely the legal loophole. Scummy, still. 

1 min ago, The Dude said:

OK.

And Ewwwwwwwwwww.

So, let me see if I have this straight. 
1) If you’ve pulled some questionable crap overseas, that you think the President might look into, you can put out there that MIGHT run against him, and he/she can’t ask for the other country’s help looking into it, because that’s now solely looking up dirt on a political opponent. 
2) If you want to keep a popular president from fundraising/campaigning for many in his party, you just get the House to start an impeachment inquiry investigation. After that, just about any help he/she gives is now bribery. 

Are those really the new rules now?