Mr. Bigdeal

GT > FG

Rate this topic

60 posts in this topic

20 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

sticks out at 90 degrees................what if it's under 90 degrees.

I meant 45 degrees so sorry for that typo.  But why would you care. See the difference between me and you , I Fish at least 4-5 days a week. And try to learn different techniques I read and watch. You seem to just bash them. It’s all good though I don’t want to offend your type 

44 mins ago, Mike said:

I think this knot sucks for conventional reels. The mono tag end sticks out at 90 degrees. If the leader is long enough to wrap on your spool that tag will cut your thumb open.

Make sure you follow the path of the tag end on the figure eight, it shouldn't stick out at 45 . . . I've used it on conventional with no issue.

Sport fishing mag has an article that says the gt has a 100% breaking strength and is the worlds strongest knot. But there is a catch. It's tied on the loop end of a  bimni twist.

Edited by stripedbassjeff

57 mins ago, PissonDFS said:

See the difference between me and you , I Fish at least 4-5 days a week. And try to learn different techniques I read and watch. 

The Islamorada Kid ladies and gentlemen.   Bow down to your sensei!

Edited by Cpalms

On 11/11/2019 at 11:09 AM, cartopper said:

I've use this knot, GT, didn't even know it had a name.  Been using it for well over 15 years . . . never an issue, easy to tie and I've tied it in the middle of the night with strong winds.  Impractical?  I don't think so.

Agreed.  I can tie it in the bow of an 18 ft Boston Whaler in a 2 foot chop into the wind. 

The thing I like about the FG (also true with the pr) is that your heavy mono/flouro leader is kept at its single width, not doubled like with an Alberto/Albright. Important when you fish lighter tackle with smaller guides. 

13 hours ago, Mike said:

I think this knot sucks for conventional reels. The mono tag end sticks out at 90 degrees. If the leader is long enough to wrap on your spool that tag will cut your thumb open.

So will an Albright, Alberto or surgeons knot. You really need to make sure your knot is eolither all the way to the right or to the left. Those chunks take a long time to heal.

44 mins ago, Kent I said:

So will an Albright, Alberto or surgeons knot. You really need to make sure your knot is eolither all the way to the right or to the left. Those chunks take a long time to heal.

Which is why I use the FG. Eff other knotz.

A knot similar to the GT but a little more compact is the one Tommy Farmer uses, which has a single overhand knot as the stopper rather than a double overhand. I’ve been using the single overhand stopper, but with a nail knot in place of the uni in the main line, which is even smaller.