Mr. Bigdeal

GT > FG

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

28 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

So the GT is stronger than the FG.......do ya like it.

I'm sure its a great knot, but to me it looks difficult and complicated...

I just started to use the FG this fall and like the small knot which i use as a hint that my lure is close when it hits the top guide at night.  This one looks a little bulkier but looks really easy, will have to give it a try.  thx

I'm looking for a combination of low profile and strength for a knot. I've mainly been tying the fg and its pretty strong, but I've had a few times where the length of leader coincided right where I cast or maybe I change my lures. My knot kept hitting my top guide and two times, it frayed and broke.

Is there a knot that may not have this issue that is still low profile?

Since then, I've made my leader (much) longer and I haven't ever felt my knot hitting my guide (knock on wood), so I think I should be ok.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Been using this knot for years . . . very easy. I've posted this many times when folks ask for best knot braid to mono/flouro.

Not once have I had this knot fail.

Edited by cartopper

Posted (edited) · Report post

I'll post the same thing I posted in the other thread about this knot.

BULL ****

Just like the same dude ties a 100% 6 turn bimini which nobody on the planet can tie.

FG or PR....

100% means perfect zero compromise to either line...........that's near impossible.... 

Edited by scoobydoo

I tied the gt this morning for the first time. It's pretty small and fairly easy to tie. I don't know how well it will work on the water, but it passed the tug test and the eye test.

It's another alternative to the blood knot or double Albright.

I guess I’ll try it. I have 2 setups: MH surf rig is 30 lb braid and 30-50 lb leader. Yak M/ML setup is 20 lb braid and 20-30 lb leader. I use the Alberto for the latter, the FG for the former. Always Alberto in the field since it’s far easier not to **** up and much quicker.

So I’ll try the GT for one reason: how fast/easy (um 2 reasons) 

Generally I think fishertypes get too fetishy over knots. I’m not so worried about strength - all my knots seem plenty strong, my failures are always either frayed or old line or hardware - I just pay attention to speed and ease. Knot tying and fiddling with line is not what I’m interested in, fishing is.  FWIW

I don’t see how this is any better than a uni to uni. As far as I can tell, the GT is a figure-8 to uni. So does this say that a figure-8 knot in mono is stronger than a uni? 

3 hours ago, Alferd Packer said:

I don’t see how this is any better than a uni to uni. As far as I can tell, the GT is a figure-8 to uni. So does this say that a figure-8 knot in mono is stronger than a uni? 

I agree with this. 

It is a jam knot the braid side is still a uni with not enough turns. The knot on the mono side is just there for the braid to jam up against. A uni or figure 8 whatever. I’m pretty sure a simple overhand knot would test pretty well.