jimmy1956

What Heat Temp Setting in Your house?

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just wondering where you guys set the heat temp in your house. My wife and I have the classic argument. She is cold in the dead of summer so winter temps can be rough for her which makes life tough for me lol.

I currently set our temp at 68. We have forced air and do not have a pellet stove or anything like that. We do have a gas fireplace but that does not help much.

Edited by jimmy1956

Usually 67 during the day, 65 at night.

if it’s a nice day you may see the heat off with windows open a bit for fresh air.

i work outside so at times when I get home I may jack the heat up to 68.

Once real winter sets in time to light the stove. Living room temps hit 70-72. But rest of house is comfy. Burning wood saves us about $750 or more a season.

Keep multi zones in forced hot water system with radiation. 60 in the bedroom, 65 in the other areas. When at work whole house automatically goes to 60. 

The savings is with the outside temp sensor. If its 30's and 40's outside I can heat the house with 130 degree water-155 degree water instead of 170-180.  That saves some cash. 

7BF06627-5ECB-46AA-9004-4E832E6593E2.jpeg

Edited by The Riddler

68 day time 67 night time  but I have a smallish house and it gets full sun while its up. gas heat .

both bedrooms upstairs are no longer used so the vents are closed .  so the downstairs never really feels cold unless we stay below freezing for an extended period. 

Edited by coolhandfluke

8 mins ago, jimmy1956 said:

Sounds good.

We live in northern central Maryland. The temps have finally dropped for the season. 

South shore of mass. We'll put it on tonight. Going to get cold over night. 

16 mins ago, The Riddler said:

Keep multi zones in forced hot water system with radiation. 60 in the bedroom, 65 in the other areas. When at work whole house automatically goes to 60. 

The savings is with the outside temp sensor. If its 30's and 40's outside I can heat the house with 130 degree water-155 degree water instead of 170-180.  That saves some cash. 

7BF06627-5ECB-46AA-9004-4E832E6593E2.jpeg

I got my new boiler installed in March of this year. I took your advice Jeff and also went with the outdoor temp sensor. Also a multi zone forced hot water system. Definitely a money saver. 

We keep the T-stat set at 65.

Edited by bospa357

8 mins ago, The Riddler said:

What did you get for a boiler? 

I got a really good deal on a Burnham hydronic boiler. A good friend has a connection that got me 20% off at Republic Plumbing. It was the easiest option since I was already plumbed for the same type system. I liked your recommendations for the newer high efficiency units, but this was the more economical option for me.

These condensing boilers won't last as long. I bought the Lochinvar Noble at the supply house for short money. The fire rate for my boiler is double from yours.  More wear over the long haul on the exchanger. If I get 20 years out of it I would be happy.  Undo the unions and slap the next one in. 

+72°f in day, +68°f at night. The vast majority of our heat is via heat pump and we have low cost electric via a Co- Op. Average elevtric bill per moth is $100.00 even with electric dryer, cooker and water heater

Heat pump is good for +34°f OAT then we go to propane backup. Wife is on blood thinners so she is always freezing while I wear short pants and t -shirt in the house. 

I'll say that this new boiler is about 50% quieter than the old one. I had 28 years on the old boiler until it started leaking. I think it was due to minerals and heavy metals in our town water supply that lead to it demise. The auto fill valve and backflow preventer were almost completely closed with "cholesterol". I had a whole house filtration system installed as well to try to ward off some of that.