Steve_in_PA

Best way to replace rod tip?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, cartopper said:

LOL!!

I could argue to my wife that it would be a better investment to buy a new rod but she would then remind me how easily $125 rod is damaged and I should only be spending $25.

It is difficult to heat up that top guide glue without causing mild to major damage to the blank within. I have had a few tip tops that I fixed and the blank tip snapped shortly thereafter.  I’m starting to think cutting the rod slightly shorter causes the least amount of stress to the blank tip. 

—————

Don’t use the glue/cement that comes in the Fuji replacement tip package. It’s trash. The tip spins after setting.

The Eagle Claw glue stuff works well, if you find that kit. Sets much harder when it cools off. 

Some people suggest 5 minute epoxy, but it won’t come off with heat. So, you’ll be further shortening the blank again if you damage the tip top or the guide ring inside it. 

Well close inspection shows I damaged the top two guides ceramic inserts as well as the tip.  So this goes on the burner for a snowbound day.

What happened was I was practicing casting in my back yard to get used to a bail less spinning reel.  I had put a barrel swivel on between the leader and the braided line.  While focusing on the spinning reel I had retrieved the swivel in past the tip.  You can guess what happened next.

Don’t over complicate this. The tip is most likely glued on with hot melt glue. Heat it with a small flame, like a cigarette lighter and pull it off with pliers. The idea is to apply heat to the tip only, since the blank is an epoxy composite and will be destroyed by overheating...the heat gun is a really bad idea. Replacement is just as easy. You can get a new tip and glue at Mudhole or probably a lot of other places. It could be that the tip is epoxied on, but why not try the easy thing first? Solvents won’t do anything in either case.

You will get it done, been there and done that, what you want to do is pick up the two guides before the tip, work on them first get that done and if the tip didn't come off take it to a tackle shop and have them do it.