Steve_in_PA

Best way to replace rod tip?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

What Triumph sed... but be careful. Only warm the metal sleeve of the tip, and only warm it enough to soften the glue then pull it straight off.  I pull as I’m heating so I’m sure to only heat enough to do it.

On some of these newer rods he epoxy is so hard that the heat doesn’t do the trick.  You need to grind it off ? 
be careful 

Go to a local tackle shop and have them do it for you. They do this all the time and will not charge you ( just for the new tip). My shop did it daily and only charged between $5 -$6 per tip. Good luck

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, ccb said:

On some of these newer rods he epoxy is so hard that the heat doesn’t do the trick.  You need to grind it off ? 
be careful 

I tried Acetone and it didn't soften at all.  I've built about a dozen fly rods and all my tips would come off with Acetone.

1 hour ago, VanStaalSteve said:

Go to a local tackle shop and have them do it for you. They do this all the time and will not charge you ( just for the new tip). My shop did it daily and only charged between $5 -$6 per tip. Good luck

I'm not aware of any local shops here that can do that.  (Almost no local shop period.)  I have a fairly well equipped shop at home so I should be able to do it myself.  ( I do appreciate the input.)

I think heat is the next try.  I have some specialized heat guns for SMDs so should be able to limit the exposure.

Edited by Steve_in_PA

I use a candle to warm it because it doesn't get too hot. if at first you don't succeed take ti to a tackle shop like Steve advised.

First, determine if there is a tang (guide foot) that has a thread wrap that needs to be cut off first. If so, warm it up with a lighter and slice with a razor bladeto remove threads.

Your tiptop is either glued on with hot melt glue, or epoxied on. Don't over complicate it... Grab it with a pliers and heat gently with a lighter, if it doesn't twist off in two seconds it's epoxied on.

If it's epoxied on it will be hard to get it off. Try getting it really hot with an indirect flame or heat gun  over the course of a few minutes and twist firmly. If it isn't break free, your rod will end up 1" shorter, no big deal

Posted (edited) · Report post

You have to file a slice in it longways and then twist it easy and open the slice and it should come off. 
A little heat on the tip helps also  after you slice it.

Use a Dremel tool if you have one   
To much heat will melt the blank .

like I said be careful . 

Edited by ccb

20 mins ago, cartopper said:

Throw it out and buy or build a new rod . . . problem solved.

Rod is $125 rod.  I will probably spend $200 worth of my time stubbornly fixing it because it was my fault it's damaged.

9 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Rod is $125 rod.  I will probably spend $200 worth of my time stubbornly fixing it because it was my fault it's damaged.

LOL!!