Southcoastphil

Need a tough flexible adhesive for rubber

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a pair of 6"hiking/trail boots on which the rubber sole is coming away from the rubber-covered "foot boot".  A few years ago I tried Shoe Goo and Barge Cement on some similar footwear.  Even with very careful cleaning, drying, application and clamping them in some lasts/jigs for a few days those adhesives failed immediately.

I haven't found any construction adhesives (PL, LocTite, Liquid Nails, etc.) that appear to provide the necessary flexibility.  Have any of you used "Amazing GOOP® Marine Contact Adhesive" or Flex Glue?  If so, what did you think?

Any other suggestions?  

Edited by Southcoastphil

Check out SG-20, best thing I've found by far. Not cheap, have to plan out what you need to fix as once you slow down it starts to cure in the mixing nozzle. Just checked out a repair on pair of knee boots from two years ago and it's still holding strong. 

Thanks for the info.  Looks like it works fine from the reviews I just read, but the X-short working window probably won't work for me.  

Still, your tip was very helpful.  While checking out the SG-20 on Amazon, I found a couple of products that might fit the bill:

Gear Aid Aquaseal SR Shoe and Boot Repair Adhesive, Clear Glue  $9 (Looks like 10 or so boots, judging from the reviews)

Boot-Fix Shoe Glue: Instant Professional Grade Shoe Repair Glue $14.50 (up to 10 boots, according to label)

Since I've had a lot of success with other Aquaseal products, I'll order it and LYK how it works.

Just a thought, the shoe repair guy always milled out a new mating surface on the both sides, well scuffed before putting on the adhesive. 

4 mins ago, hobobob said:

Just a thought, the shoe repair guy always milled out a new mating surface on the both sides, well scuffed before putting on the adhesive. 

Good point.  I plan to have them all super clean (and uniformly scuffed) prior to application. 

used 3m weather strip adhesive and tell you what,if you don't put it right the first time,it will have to stay that way.

advanced auto parts sells it.

not sure about flex but,it sticks like an Alabama tick.

https://www.ecklerscorvette.com/3m-weatherstrip-adhesive-yellow-47876.html?msclkid=c45c3076e4d7178d71096db149402241&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=New_Corvette_DSA&utm_term=American Car Craft&utm_content=American Car Craft ACC&gclid=CPvz-daB3-UCFZjPswodsboJCA&gclsrc=ds

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 11/8/2019 at 3:44 AM, Southcoastphil said:

I have a pair of 6"hiking/trail boots on which the rubber sole is coming away from the rubber-covered "foot boot".  A few years ago I tried Shoe Goo and Barge Cement on some similar footwear.  Even with very careful cleaning, drying, application and clamping them in some lasts/jigs for a few days those adhesives failed immediately.

I haven't found any construction adhesives (PL, LocTite, Liquid Nails, etc.) that appear to provide the necessary flexibility.  Have any of you used "Amazing GOOP® Marine Contact Adhesive" or Flex Glue?  If so, what did you think?

Any other suggestions?  

PL Roof and Flashing Sealant. It takes a week to fully cure, however, the stuff is designed to withstand blistering sun and bitter cold. I have used it on hiking boots for the same purpose as you and had excellent results. PL 400/PL Premium cures to a hardened substance whereas their roof and flashing sealant stays flexible. The stuff is a mess to work with so plan on having vinyl gloves, painters tape for masking and plenty of rags.

Edited by HardyG

Lexel is a flexible adhesive that basically sticks to most anything I have come across.  Never used it on shoes or boots.