Daylight

New Reg 28-35, Goodbye Records and Tourneys

Rate this topic

64 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, mybosox3 said:

Tournament is now catch and release length only. Pic with tournament application letterhead and ruler.

I've seen YT videos of tournies where they have officials who come and verify length before release.  Seems like the fish are out of the water longer than they should.

The last tournament they had back in Del I don't recall anyone catching a legal striper.  I think an 18" blue won.

18 mins ago, Sandflee said:

Some i'm sure do but the hand full of times i've been on a PB it was the opposite

some of my favorite lines were

"you can keep over your limit, your fishing for a "boat Limit"

It's ok that sea bass is 13" we are fishing in international waters 

Oh yeah I’ve been on boats where they were counting mates and the captain into the fish count...........But it would be easy to tell if they violated the size limit on social media because a 35” bass ain’t that big........so if I see a dead cow then I’m making the boat famous......

1 hour ago, Steve_in_PA said:

I've seen YT videos of tournies where they have officials who come and verify length before release.  Seems like the fish are out of the water longer than they should.

The last tournament they had back in Del I don't recall anyone catching a legal striper.  I think an 18" blue won.

Old inlet tournament... weather sucked and so did the fishing, that says something when your biggest fish is a bluefish and 18" at that

8 mins ago, Ravens52988 said:

Old inlet tournament... weather sucked and so did the fishing, that says something when your biggest fish is a bluefish and 18" at that

I was actually fishing just above the inlet that Saturday.  I caught a bunch of sea robins but didn't see anyone else catch anything.  Tons of Mullet in the surf.

My first time fishing that areas so I was looking at it as a learning experience.  I was not in the tourney.  Did talk to many who were at the shop.

2 hours ago, Popasilov said:

May be , even better, to have 24" to 32"

You don't want to drop the low end of the slot below 28 inches, because that's the point where at least half of the females are mature.

When New York had a 24-36" slot (they changed it to 28-38" in 2015), the state was forced to reduce its commercial quota by a little more than 20% to offset the harm to the stock caused by killing a lot of immature females in the 24-28" range.  

It worked out well for the commercials when they increased the minimum size in the slot to 28", because Addendum IV, which the ASMFC adopted, called for a 15% cut in the commercial quota (and recreational fishing mortality).  But by raising the low end of the slot from 24 to 28 inches, New York could do away with the 20%-plus penalty for taking immature fish, so the final commercial quota could remain essentially unchanged.  And it worked out for the bass as well, since it allowed more females to reach maturity.

But the point is that killing 24-inch bass is not a good thing.

2 hours ago, Sandflee said:

Some i'm sure do but the hand full of times i've been on a PB it was the opposite

some of my favorite lines were

"you can keep over your limit, your fishing for a "boat Limit"

It's ok that sea bass is 13" we are fishing in international waters 

Don't forget

"It's OK to keep those fish, but just make sure to get them filleted before we get back to the dock.:

I was out on Monday.  The Captree party boats--and far too many private boats, too--were fishing about 200 degrees, 3 1/2-4 miles from the Fire Island sea buoy.  Which placed them well over the line, and so had them fishing illegally in federal waters.

43 mins ago, Ravens52988 said:

Be happy to find a bluefish.

I asked to speak at a meeting of a local fishing club Tuesday night.  Before I stepped up to the microphone, they were handing out awards for fish caught in October.  The big bluefish didn't break 3 pounds, and no one managed to catch a third-place fish.  

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Slappy said:

We never needed kill tourneys anyway.

It was great to see the striper cup go to no kill this year.

It would have been great to see the striper cup go to no kill 5 years ago when countless

concerned anglers urged them to.   The finally switched because they had no choice...

They knew what the right thing to do was years ago... but didn't act on it.   FACT

Edited by Pistol Pete

On 11/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, CWitek said:

You don't want to drop the low end of the slot below 28 inches, because that's the point where at least half of the females are mature.

When New York had a 24-36" slot (they changed it to 28-38" in 2015), the state was forced to reduce its commercial quota by a little more than 20% to offset the harm to the stock caused by killing a lot of immature females in the 24-28" range.  

It worked out well for the commercials when they increased the minimum size in the slot to 28", because Addendum IV, which the ASMFC adopted, called for a 15% cut in the commercial quota (and recreational fishing mortality).  But by raising the low end of the slot from 24 to 28 inches, New York could do away with the 20%-plus penalty for taking immature fish, so the final commercial quota could remain essentially unchanged.  And it worked out for the bass as well, since it allowed more females to reach maturity.

But the point is that killing 24-inch bass is not a good thing.

Thank you Charlie

On 11/8/2019 at 0:50 PM, Slappy said:

We never needed kill tourneys anyway.

A good tournament would have a designated measuring device and a requirement of immediate entry, make it a real contest with up to the second results and let every fish go!

It was great to see the striper cup go to no kill this year.

good tourney has good refs on each boat

I've never party boated for stripers , however I may start now . To gleefully remind them that anything over 35" goes back . I'm also hoping this takes some of the glory of the kill away , I'm thinking no trophy fish leaves some to stay home or target something else . I love to see the looks on some of their faces when the mate tells them their mid forty has to go back ! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 11/10/2019 at 7:11 PM, fishfinder said:

1 at 28 to 32 should have been the way to go.

A moratorium for 3 years  followed by 1 @36" would have been the way to go! 

Edited by mml4

1 hour ago, mml4 said:

A moratorium for 3 years  followed by 1 @36" would have been the way to go! 

Agree.. They should of left at 36" years back. Things were much better in and before that time frame..