Josh_y

Rod help

Rate this topic

16 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I want to make a surf rod for my dad for Christmas. He fishes on Long Island mainly Fire Island, targets Stripped bass most of the time. He currently only has 1 set up and it is a Shimano Tiralejo 10'6" 30-50lb (braid rating) 1-3.5oz Medium MF. I know little to nothing about fishing up there So I want to get some info from y'all. I was considering making him a rod with similar attributes as the one he already has but then thought that maybe his next rod should be a liter one or a heavier on. So my questions are as follows:

1.What should his next rod be?

2. Would another rod like the one he has be beneficial? Is it a good jack of all trades?

3. If not would he benefit more from a heavier or liter one

Edited by Josh_y

3 hours ago, Josh_y said:

I want to make a surf rod for my dad for Christmas. He fishes on Long Island mainly Fire Island, targets Stripped bass most of the time. He currently only has 1 set up and it is a Shimano Tiralejo 10'6" 30-50lb (braid rating) 1-3.5oz Medium MF. I know little to nothing about this fishing or surf fishing So I want to get some info from y'all. I was considering making him a rod with similar attributes as the one he already has but then thought that maybe his next rod should be a liter one or a heavier on. So my questions are as follows:

1.What should his next rod be?

2. Would another rod like the one he has be beneficial? Is it a good jack of all trades?

3. If not would he benefit more from a heavier or liter one

Does your dad bait fish or is he a plug fisherman?

I'd go smaller.  10'6" is a pretty big setup, and an 8' or 9' rod would probably be more useful than something 11+.  Especially when small fish are around and/or you don't need a lot of distance a lighter setup can be a lot of fun.

2 hours ago, AFMike said:

Does your dad bait fish or is he a plug fisherman?

No bait but not specifically plugs, he uses all artificials

Edited by Josh_y

Tough one.  Your heart is in the right place but have you ever built a rod? You say you do not fish

I would make him something light and long for albies and back bay applications etc.  Able to throw smaller jigs and poppers.

Something in the 10 ft range with a rating of 1 to 2 oz.  

1 hour ago, Captain Ahab said:

Tough one.  Your heart is in the right place but have you ever built a rod? You say you do not fish

I would make him something light and long for albies and back bay applications etc.  Able to throw smaller jigs and poppers.

Something in the 10 ft range with a rating of 1 to 2 oz.  

Yes I have built plenty of rods for the fishing I do in the south East. Just don’t know a lot about the fishing up there so just want some help identifying the right blank for his fishing. 

2 hours ago, Josh_y said:

Yes I have built plenty of rods for the fishing I do in the south East. Just don’t know a lot about the fishing up there so just want some help identifying the right blank for his fishing. 

I am talking about something like an inshore spinner  

As far as a blank, how much you wanna spend?  

9 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

I am talking about something like an inshore spinner  

As far as a blank, how much you wanna spend?  

under $200

Edited by Josh_y

12 hours ago, Josh_y said:

No bait but not specifically plugs, he uses all artificials

A great option would be the Century S2 Stealth. It's the most versatile blank I've ever seen. It will throw a 3/4oz bucktail on up to 5oz. Extremely easy to cast with big distance. 

4 hours ago, AFMike said:

A great option would be the Century S2 Stealth. It's the most versatile blank I've ever seen. It will throw a 3/4oz bucktail on up to 5oz. Extremely easy to cast with big distance. 

what length would you recommend?

Second going heavier or lighter.  That tiralejo is a great all around south shore beach rod and would try to figure out which he’s more interested in. Lighter for back bay / albie / beach fluke vs heavier for chunking/big plugs /rough conditions and inlet fishing.

Also suggest posting this in the rod building forum if you want more feedback.  Has some of the best builders out there and a lot of local builders who do rods like these all the time.

Two things: 

1. Don't make it a surprise. Tell your dad you're getting him a rod -- just don't tell him it's going to be a custom. Find out exactly what he wants -- otherwise, you're going to end up getting him something he either won't use, or will hate using. It's a nice thought, a nice gesture, but a fishing rod is not the kind of thing to surprise someone with, unless you know rods like the back of your hand, and you know exactly what he fishes and what he likes.  
  2. Go to a pro. Your first rod is going to suck, at least cosmetically, and it will not be something you want to give as a gift, especially as a special gift. You'll also end up spending at least as much, and probably more, doing it yourself than you would paying someone. And you have very, very little chance to finish it by Christmas if you're as new to this as you say you are, and you've never done it. 

My two cents....

22 hours ago, Belmo said:

Two things: 

1. Don't make it a surprise. Tell your dad you're getting him a rod -- just don't tell him it's going to be a custom. Find out exactly what he wants -- otherwise, you're going to end up getting him something he either won't use, or will hate using. It's a nice thought, a nice gesture, but a fishing rod is not the kind of thing to surprise someone with, unless you know rods like the back of your hand, and you know exactly what he fishes and what he likes.  
  2. Go to a pro. Your first rod is going to suck, at least cosmetically, and it will not be something you want to give as a gift, especially as a special gift. You'll also end up spending at least as much, and probably more, doing it yourself than you would paying someone. And you have very, very little chance to finish it by Christmas if you're as new to this as you say you are, and you've never done it. 

My two cents....

1. Considered that, seems like the best way to know what he wants, but anytime he needs new tackle he goes to me anyways as he does't keep up with the tackle word as much as I do.

2. For the last time THIS IS NOT MY FIRST ROD! I have built plenty of rods. I have made all my current rods, been doing it for years. I am not asking how do I make a rod. I am asking for help selecting a blank because I lack knowledge of the fishery not on rod building.

Edited by Josh_y