Angler #1

North Chatham OUTFItters

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

I had take down several reels to be repaired that were all in pieces in a cup . To be exact it was three in total all Diawa various models . North Chatham Outfitters are Diawa Dealers. I had a nice conversation with a young man behind the counter both on the phone and once I came down to have them put them together again. I received a call  from the reel technician  and custom rod builder by the name of Tom Goodrow the following day explaining to me that because they were all in pieces it might be better to send them of to main office in California and I asked him if three reels would be economical to repair and he tells me that two were and one was not. He explains the repair fee and we both decide that we would only send two of the three to be taken care. Well I get a call today telling me that the reels were ready , like less than 10 from when I dropped them off . I go down to the shop and pick them up and introduce myself to Tom in his personal rod and reel space and begin a conversation to find out that he once worked for the Goose in another time and that he is a walking cyclopedia when it comes to reels and rods . The knowledge he has is astounding to some one like myself that enjoys talking and discussing the experiences of one company over another and the evolution of rod and reels from another time to today. I got to share some of his collection on the shelf, one was and old Von Hoff along with vintage Mitchels and other assorted reels that he has worked over the years. I found Tom to be an honest representative of the place he works, but more so someone who has personal ethics in serving the customers that come to the shop . He tells me that he will work on any type reel , which is a good thing to know should you have a reel that needs a little attention and judging from the rod above the drying rack he built from a  Ron Arra black I would have to say he has that mastered as well. Any one that may be looking for any help along the above lines, be sure to phone ahead and talk with Mat in regards to how to get there and also the best time to see the reel technician should you have any question that he might not be able to answer. The shop  also has some nice product on the shelves along with bait in season . From my eyeballs it looks like they specialize in those going after big fish , like tuna .Also Striped Bass. So to Tom I say thank you spending some time with this old guy away from your work scheduled and show that customer matters and that you found the time to engage in a conversation to enlighten me along the way. I will be back.  

Edited by Angler #1

they have a great reputation amongst the guys i am friends with. haven't been in yet but plan on taking the boy to get a freshwater setup and chase the trout. tis the season...