Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike

Need a Tog Chowder Recipe

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

9 mins ago, Mike said:

So now we're practically back to Slayer's recipe with vermouth.

And as to the vermouth, “add slowly until you know something is there but you're not sure what” which could mean add a handle of vermouth, in which case you wouldn’t have a clue what it was, but “something” was there.  After all it is “drunkin” stew.

Edited by PeterO

11 hours ago, Mike said:

I've used vermouth with fish a number of times. Yes, just a "what is that" hint is all you want.

I add about 1 cup of white wine per 8 cups water when making fish stock. 

I was looking for the same the other day and I came across a suggestion of adding a can of smoked oysters to your chowder. I haven't tried it yet but definitely will next time I bring home a keeper.

This recipe was given to me about 20 years ago by an elderly Cape Cod lady, I've used it ever since.

Ingredients,

4oz salt pork

4oz unsalted butter

1/2 green pepper

1/2 red pepper

1 med carrot

3 lbs potato

1 med tautog

1 quart heavy cream

1 bottle clam juice.

If I make a pot for pot luck for work or a Ditch Troll cookout I double quantities.

After cleaning and skinning the tautog I boil that whole with a pinch of salt till the meat is flaking off with a fork.

take fish out and separate meat from bones.

Dice up your potatoes and cook till soft in the fish stock.

chop real small your peppers,carrot and salt pork.

Fry  peppers, carrot, and salt pork all together until the salt pork turns brown.

Combine everything including fish stock together in big pot and add bottle of clam juice and cream to suit.

Let simmer for a while till things start to thicken up and flavors combine.

A bit more butter at this stage melted on top finishes it.

Clincher is the clam juice, still good without but does make a big difference.

I leave skin on after cleaning when freezing tautog for chowder, preserves the meat good.

tog chowder...meh.  Lot of work for what that is. Fish goes better with acid based sauces and soups.  I like a NE clam chowder though, just not into cream based with other seafood.

1 hour ago, Fly By Nite said:

tog chowder...meh.  Lot of work for what that is. Fish goes better with acid based sauces and soups.  I like a NE clam chowder though, just not into cream based with other seafood.

Just think of it as a clam chowder with tog bits.  That's what these people are apparently making.

38 mins ago, Tom T said:

Just think of it as a clam chowder with tog bits.  That's what these people are apparently making.

Clog chowder

2 hours ago, Fly By Nite said:

My .02

My NE fish chowder has more depth of flavor than clam chowder.

Its more floral with hints of greens, wine, thyme etc...

Clam chowder is more 1 dimensional since it relies more heavily on the clam juice as its main flavor profile.

I love both. Not sure I could pick a favorite. 

Although if you up your game and add lobster stock, lobster, scallops and shrimp to your tog chowder, you've reached a whole new level.

Next up: Manhattan tog chowder. I need some racks...