31 posts in this topic

Drunkin Blackfish Stew”

Ed's recipe:
quarter cup butter
one medium onion diced
two medium potatoes diced
half cup celery sliced and diced
two cans cream of potato soup
two or three cups fresh homemade fish stock (or clam juice)
couple of dashes of Worcestershire
salt and pepper to taste
one to two pounds of fish (blackfish) - if you use clam juice add some other fish that will flake like flounder or sea bass
one teaspoon salt 
one half teaspoon pepper
Vermouth

Sauté onions in butter. Add potatoes, celery and fish stock or clam juice and cook until potatoes are al dente before adding potato soup. Add fish when broth is boiling. Salt and pepper to taste. Add vermouth (not to taste, you don’t want to overwhelm) but up to a quarter cup… but add slowly until you know something is there but you're not sure what. Try to make sure that there's plenty of fish and potatoes. I've added mashed anchovy but, like the vermouth, just enough to know it’s there.

• 1 cup chopped onion
  • 4 bacon strips, chopped
  • 3 cans (12 ounces each) evaporated milk
  • 1 can (15-1/4 ounces) whole kernel corn, undrained
  • 1 can (6-1/2 ounces) chopped clams, undrained
  • 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 pound fish fillets cut into pieces
  • Crumbled cooked bacon, optional
  • Minced chives, optional

In a large saucepan, cook onion and bacon over medium heat until onion is tender. Add milk, corn, potatoes, butter, salt and pepper. Cover and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in fish and Clams and heat until fish is cooked. If desired, top with bacon and chives.

And we like it with Prudhommes seasoning.

First make a FISH STOCK:
-1/2 onion
-1 carrot
-1 stalk celery
-2 tog racks (no head, gills, fins or skin, JUST BONES and any extra meat)
-1 bay leaf
-10 peppercorns
-TSP salt
-10 cups water

Bring up to a boil and then simmer for an hour or two. Strain it and reserve. You can make that ahead of time and freeze/refrigerate it.
Now for the Chowda'..

-5 slices of Bacon (small dice)
-2 stalks celery (small dice)
-1 medium onion (small dice)
-2 tbls Butter
-2 Tablespoons of Flour
-4 small potatoes (small dice) I used red w/ skin on, but you can use any.
-1 can of BUMBLE BEE or another brand of whole baby clams (save liquid)
-1 small can whole kernel Corn (Drained)
-2 cups heavy cream (NOT BOILING but heated!!)
-4 tog fillets (diced about the size of Dice) I used fresh, but frozen will work
-Teaspoon Fresh Thyme
-8 cups of your Fish Stock or CLAM JUICE (heated!!)

In a heavy bottom pot cook the bacon on low heat until rendered but NOT crispy. Remove it and set aside. Leave about 2 tbls of bacon fat in the pot. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of flour into that and stir for 1 minute. Now add your onions and celery and saute' until translucent. Add butter and the cooked bacon now. Sprinkle w/ S & P. Add the heated Fish stock slowly and stir while adding it. Bring that up to a boil and now add the corn, potatoes, 1/2 of the clams w/ the juice and fresh thyme. NOW simmer that for about 1/2 hour. Now slowly add the heated cream. Bring back to a boil and simmer LOW for another hour. Now add your TOG meat and the rest of the clams and cook for another 1/2 hour on low. Add S&P to taste and more fresh thyme if you like. Make some Pillsbury biscuits on the side.
This will feed about 5 people. Tastes better the next day.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Awesome. Thanks guys!

@hartattack I make a similar stock. I use racks prepped as you do, veggies as you do, add a little water, then the racks, cover and steam them for 15 min. Then I add water to cover, bay, peppercorns, a sprig of thyme and simmer for 45 minutes, strain and freeze.

Edited by Mike

29 mins ago, Mike said:

Awesome. Thanks guys!

@hartattack I make a similar stock. I use racks prepped as you do, veggies as you do, add a little water, then the racks, cover and steam them for 15 min. Then I add water to cover, bay, peppercorns, a sprig of thyme and simmer for 45 minutes, strain and freeze.

That’s an awful lot of work and time to make something truly exceptional.  SharkMike’s recipe is quick plus it has modified food starch, dehydrated whey, MSG and soy protein concentrate, don’t see that in any of the others.  And vermouth “add slowly until you know something is there but you're not sure what” :drool:

Is it called “drunk’in blackfish stew” because of the vermouth or because Ed was ****faced when he came up with it?

Edited by PeterO

19 mins ago, PeterO said:

That’s an awful lot of work and time to make something truly exceptional.  SharkMike’s recipe is quick plus it has modified food starch, dehydrated whey, MSG and soy protein concentrate, don’t see that in any of the others.  And vermouth “add slowly until you know something is there but you're not sure what” :drool:

Is it called “drunk’in blackfish stew” because of the vermouth or because Ed was ****faced when he came up with it?

I don't know if Ed was **** faced when he came up with it, but it's a damned good recipe. But I usually substitute light cream for the potato soup.

Edited by MakoMike

7 mins ago, MakoMike said:

I don't know if Ed was **** faced when he came up with it, but it's a damned good recipe. But I usually substitute light cream for the potato soup.

Well that would have been a handy piece of info to add, thx.

Edited by PeterO

35 mins ago, MakoMike said:

So now we're practically back to Slayer's recipe with vermouth.

5 hours ago, Mike said:

Preferably @Slayer's but maybe @csteven's will do. Slayer may have posted his but I can't find it.

Mine is @Slacker's recipe that he posted a few year's ago. May have to make some next week with the cold coming.