Beastly Backlash

Translucent Hard Lures

34 posts in this topic

What is the reasoning behind them?

 

Are these translucent lures designed to appear natural for fishing in clear water and sunny days?

 

They definitely are not something I would bother getting for stained or murky water, definitely not something I would use for night fishing. This is where it frustrates me as so many lures I have been looking into buying have these translucent finishes and few to no bold and bright finishes that I want for fishing in low light and low water clarity situations.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup, you got it. Typically used in clear water, sunny days or anytime you dont want the fish to get a good look at the lure. They provide a good amount of flash and realism, for sure, without being as gaudy as a chrome finish, for ex. Clear Ayu and Ghost Minnow are as good as they come for translucent finishes. Pro blue and even the naked (just clear) have been big players for me in the past. There are a bunch.

 

The Japanese lure market is full of them and so are brands like Strike King. They work well

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Basswiper said:

Yup, you got it. Typically used in clear water, sunny days or anytime you dont want the fish to get a good look at the lure. They provide a good amount of flash and realism, for sure, without being as gaudy as a chrome finish, for ex. Clear Ayu and Ghost Minnow are as good as they come for translucent finishes. Pro blue and even the naked (just clear) have been big players for me in the past. There are a bunch.

 

The Japanese lure market is full of them and so are brands like Strike King. They work well

 

I see.

 

Getting the bold opaque colors in many lure models is near impossible though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Translucent or “ghost” baits have their place. Typically in the fall and winter. They work well on jerkbaits and mid to deep diving crankbaits. While they are proven in clear water, I have had good success with them in stained water too. If I have at least 1.5’ of viz, I’ll throw a ghost bait. It’s a more “finesse” approach to throwing cranks and jerkbaits. Half of my baits are ghost patterns. Don’t be afraid of them. Even in the dark, fish aren’t feeding by sight. They’re using their lateral line to detect movement, and sound also plays a big role in low light and low viz feeding. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2019 at 4:14 PM, fvgourami3 said:

No matter the water quality of water a clear spook , crystal clear , always gets it done somehow up on the flats. 

I can see a clear topwater excelling in any water clarity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am always looking for clear water options. 

This lure I had big bass follow it in fast and turn at my feet, would not strike.

Need that extra advantage and maybe clear lure is it.

Any pics of these lures?

20191104_161037.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

Translucent or “ghost” baits have their place. Typically in the fall and winter. They work well on jerkbaits and mid to deep diving crankbaits. While they are proven in clear water, I have had good success with them in stained water too. If I have at least 1.5’ of viz, I’ll throw a ghost bait. It’s a more “finesse” approach to throwing cranks and jerkbaits. Half of my baits are ghost patterns. Don’t be afraid of them. Even in the dark, fish aren’t feeding by sight. They’re using their lateral line to detect movement, and sound also plays a big role in low light and low viz feeding. 

This guy gets it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I am always looking for clear water options. 

This lure I had big bass follow it in fast and turn at my feet, would not strike.

Need that extra advantage and maybe clear lure is it.

Any pics of these lures?

20191104_161037.jpg

Get one that suspends. When they follow, if you can pause it for a couple seconds and then continue the retrieve, most times they just can’t take it. They’ll usually smoke it as soon as it moves again after a long pause. 

 

My lake is is littered with grass until the end of December. In the fall and early winter, the spinnerbait gets a lot of follows for me. But I can’t pause it for more than a half a second or else it falls in the weeds and I catch a 5lb salad. Tried a suspending glide bait out of frustration and cracked the code. So many times the fish will follow the big bait right to my kayak and not eat it. If I get a follow and let it sit for about 2-4 seconds, 3 out of 4 times the fish will eat it as soon as it moves again. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 mins ago, Matt7082 said:

Get one that suspends. When they follow, if you can pause it for a couple seconds and then continue the retrieve, most times they just can’t take it. They’ll usually smoke it as soon as it moves again after a long pause. 

 

My lake is is littered with grass until the end of December. In the fall and early winter, the spinnerbait gets a lot of follows for me. But I can’t pause it for more than a half a second or else it falls in the weeds and I catch a 5lb salad. Tried a suspending glide bait out of frustration and cracked the code. So many times the fish will follow the big bait right to my kayak and not eat it. If I get a follow and let it sit for about 2-4 seconds, 3 out of 4 times the fish will eat it as soon as it moves again. 

check out HJ#14 suspending and P 10.

 

you can have  trassluten lure or wite ,take marker and paint the bely and sides vipe with alcohol and use defrent color.

Edited by snag777

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Matt7082 said:

Get one that suspends. When they follow, if you can pause it for a couple seconds and then continue the retrieve, most times they just can’t take it. They’ll usually smoke it as soon as it moves again after a long pause. 

 

My lake is is littered with grass until the end of December. In the fall and early winter, the spinnerbait gets a lot of follows for me. But I can’t pause it for more than a half a second or else it falls in the weeds and I catch a 5lb salad. Tried a suspending glide bait out of frustration and cracked the code. So many times the fish will follow the big bait right to my kayak and not eat it. If I get a follow and let it sit for about 2-4 seconds, 3 out of 4 times the fish will eat it as soon as it moves again. 

I'm going to try this thanks

5 hours ago, snag777 said:

check out HJ#14 suspending and P 10.

 

you can have  trassluten lure or wite ,take marker and paint the bely and sides vipe with alcohol and use defrent color.

Good stuff here I will check it out 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2019 at 8:19 PM, Matt7082 said:

Translucent or “ghost” baits have their place. Typically in the fall and winter. They work well on jerkbaits and mid to deep diving crankbaits. While they are proven in clear water, I have had good success with them in stained water too. If I have at least 1.5’ of viz, I’ll throw a ghost bait. It’s a more “finesse” approach to throwing cranks and jerkbaits. Half of my baits are ghost patterns. Don’t be afraid of them. Even in the dark, fish aren’t feeding by sight. They’re using their lateral line to detect movement, and sound also plays a big role in low light and low viz feeding. 

 

These are walleye I am going after, they are designed to see very well in low light conditions. Lures with yellow, and chartreuse on them are typically the go to at night. HJ14's in firetiger and helsinki shad out produce almost every other color.

 

I will consider getting some ghost colored lures just to see what happens though.

 

It is very rare when I fish clear water.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/9/2019 at 2:52 PM, Matt7082 said:

Get one that suspends. When they follow, if you can pause it for a couple seconds and then continue the retrieve, most times they just can’t take it. They’ll usually smoke it as soon as it moves again after a long pause. 

 

My lake is is littered with grass until the end of December. In the fall and early winter, the spinnerbait gets a lot of follows for me. But I can’t pause it for more than a half a second or else it falls in the weeds and I catch a 5lb salad. Tried a suspending glide bait out of frustration and cracked the code. So many times the fish will follow the big bait right to my kayak and not eat it. If I get a follow and let it sit for about 2-4 seconds, 3 out of 4 times the fish will eat it as soon as it moves again. 

 

The big walleye I go for love to follow lures. That dead sticking technique durin the middle and end of a log slow retrieve has been the ruin of many a mammoth eye.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

 

The big walleye I go for love to follow lures. That dead sticking technique durin the middle and end of a log slow retrieve has been the ruin of many a mammoth eye.

Oh...yeah, I can’t help you with walleye. Lol! I was wondering why you mentioned night fishing in the middle of November...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

 

These are walleye I am going after, they are designed to see very well in low light conditions. Lures with yellow, and chartreuse on them are typically the go to at night. HJ14's in firetiger and helsinki shad out produce almost every other color.

 

I will consider getting some ghost colored lures just to see what happens though.

 

It is very rare when I fish clear water.

HJ#14 suspending  silver /blue chartreuse bely produce good .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.