squammer

Trimming Butt Section of St Croix Triumph Surf 8' or 9'?

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I have the 8' Triumph Surf rod which I like, other than the awkwardly long butt section. Is it easy enough to trim off ~4-5" from the butt? In the future, I also plan to up my rod to the 9' model and trim the butt off of it as well.

I read in another thread (I used the search function) that this trimming would alter the balance and that the warranty would be threatened... What are your suggestions? Worth it?

1. Is this something I can do myself with a fine tooth hacksaw and a vice?
2. Can I re-use the same rod butt and just plug it back on after trimming (if so, how do I secure it)?
3. Do I need to add some weight in butt section after trimming for balance? (if so, what do I use?)

4. This is a 2 piece rod, so warranty may still be valid on the tip section. Thoughts here?
5. [EDITED ADDITION] By cutting off some of the thicker/stiffest end of the blank, does that alter the rod's action or lure rating? I know in cutting golf club driver shaft down from the grip end (thicker/stiffer), it is said that the shaft becomes more "whippy". I can see this applying to a fishing rod too... Thoughts here?

Edited by squammer

I can't add much, but I am listening to this thread.  I have a few rods I like on a kayak that could lose an inch or two.

I was thinking of using a coping saw, or perhaps a Dremel tool.  The bow n arrow guys use a Dremel like tool to trim carbon fiber arrows. 

My guess is I would seal the cut section with some expoy before or perhaps while putting a new cap on.  Fuji makes a few butt caps.  I'll probably get mine from barlows tackle, just because I need some things to make jigheads and bucktails from them...….

13 mins ago, salt deficient said:

My guess is I would seal the cut section with some expoy before or perhaps while putting a new cap on.  Fuji makes a few butt caps.  

Good point about epoxy in the butt after trimming. I anticipate this is what I will do.

I've cut the butts on several rods (factor and ones I've built). I would recommend cutting off an inch or so to start, 4-5" is a lot. Wrap the bottom with electrical tape to fit the new butt cap snuggly but dont epoxy until you've found your optimal length, heck on some of mine I never epoxied the butt cap as it stays on fine with the right amount of electrical tape. 

1 hour ago, mtfallon88 said:

I've cut the butts on several rods (factor and ones I've built). I would recommend cutting off an inch or so to start, 4-5" is a lot. Wrap the bottom with electrical tape to fit the new butt cap snuggly but dont epoxy until you've found your optimal length, heck on some of mine I never epoxied the butt cap as it stays on fine with the right amount of electrical tape. 

Awesome thanks. Can you comment on the following if you have time?

1. Is this something I can do myself with a fine tooth hacksaw and a vice?
2. Can I re-use the same rod butt?
3. Do I need to add some weight in butt section after trimming for balance? (if so, what do I use?)

Edited by squammer

5 mins ago, mtfallon88 said:

1) yes

2) if you can get it off in one piece sure, but it's likely glued/epoxied/pasted

3) totally up to you, could use quarters or washers, or nothing. 

Thanks mtfallon.

Also, I just added a 5th question:

By cutting off some of the thicker/stiffest end of the blank, does that alter the rod's action or lure rating? I know in cutting golf club driver shaft down from the grip end (thicker/stiffer), it is said that the shaft becomes more "whippy". I can see this applying to a fishing rod too... Thoughts here?

Okay so I will be cutting off about 2.5" and buying a new buttcap from mudhole. Are the sizes universal, or do I need a specific size and/or product for this particular rod? I will counter-balance with some weights, so perhaps one of the butt caps that have a weight built in..

5. [EDITED ADDITION] By cutting off some of the thicker/stiffest end of the blank, does that alter the rod's action or lure rating? I know in cutting golf club driver shaft down from the grip end (thicker/stiffer), it is said that the shaft becomes more "whippy". I can see this applying to a fishing rod too... Thoughts here?

I will tape the section I am cutting with masking tape and use a chop saw for a clean quick cut. I would not recommend cutting a blank by hand. However if you must do not add a lot of pressure, let the saw do the work. Usually with 1pc blanks you can cut 6" off the butt without changing any of the action of the rod. I cannot comment on 2PC directly but since you are cutting only 2.5" I would doubt it would change any action or ratings. 

14 hours ago, squammer said:

Okay so I will be cutting off about 2.5" and buying a new buttcap from mudhole. Are the sizes universal, or do I need a specific size and/or product for this particular rod? I will counter-balance with some weights, so perhaps one of the butt caps that have a weight built in..

I used a real nice weighted butt cap that Mudhole sells but it's designed to glue onto the rear of the blank and have the rear grip glued over it.  Don't know how that would work with the dimensions of what you have.  I've also glued tungsten weights into the blank butt to help balance a rod and covered with a conventional butt cap.  Phone in your order and have the butt OD of the blank, the butt ID of the blank and the OD of the grip and the sales rep should be able to make sure you get a butt cap that works.

You might be fine with a cap for chair legs from the hardware store too.

Okay, I am finally getting around to this but wanted to share my plan since I started this thread.

I plan on cutting the butt-end of the rod down 3". Then, I am ordering the CRB Door Knob Style Butt Cap from Mudhole in a slightly larger diameter than the measured rod blank diameter where the butt will be installed. This is to make some space to 'arbor' (increasing diameter using tape) to get the butt cap to fit just right. I called Mudhole and they suggested this technique.

I will counterweight (returning to proper balance) using lead tape to arbor. This is the same lead tape that I use to adjust swing weight and balance on my tennis racquets and golf clubs. I will then put one or two final wraps with electrical tape and shove the new butt cap on there snugly.

Having fished with a stock 8' Triumph and a shortened 9', I wouldn't bother with weights and a new cap. Use some heat to loosen the glue on the butt cap and just reglue it after you cut. I don't think you'll notice enough difference to warrant the lead tape.

9 hours ago, Kima said:

Having fished with a stock 8' Triumph and a shortened 9', I wouldn't bother with weights and a new cap. Use some heat to loosen the glue on the butt cap and just reglue it after you cut. I don't think you'll notice enough difference to warrant the lead tape.

Love this. Thanks.