coastalfreak

Problems with the Field and Stream Fishing Department

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

3 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

In all seriousness though, A guy came in asking for a Curado in a certain gear ratio. I was right there listening to the whole conversation between him and the employee. Employee had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and the guy got more and more frustrated (I don’t blame him.) That employee probably doesn’t even know what a baitcaster is. 

I find Cabelas and BPS employees are usually more knowledgeable than other big box stores.  No experience with Academy.

Most small shops around me have gone away.  A few good fly shops left across the state.

I had the joy of visiting Grumpy's for the first time last week.  I'll save some of my purchases for my next trip there.  I was walking around looking at all the small shop surf lures and hadn't noticed all the rods overhead until I asked where they were.

2 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

I find Cabelas and BPS employees are usually more knowledgeable than other big box stores.

I agree. I had an awesome Cabelas employee and another one at BPS that helped me get into surf fishing and gave me some good knowledge. 

The Field n Stream stores I had heard we’re a corporate idea by Dicks who owns them to protect specific sales regions from competition setting up shop . 

If this is even half true , it had to be one of the most hair brain ideas I ever heard !

i saw them in PA where both Dicks and F& S store was in the same shopping center 

maybe im to dumb to comprehend the genius in this idea , but losing proposition is one that readily comes to mind .  

Eventually all will be sold or shutdown , gees I wonder why ! Great idea ! 

13 hours ago, Capt. Lou said:

The Field n Stream stores I had heard we’re a corporate idea by Dicks who owns them to protect specific sales regions from competition setting up shop . 

If this is even half true , it had to be one of the most hair brain ideas I ever heard !

i saw them in PA where both Dicks and F& S store was in the same shopping center 

maybe im to dumb to comprehend the genius in this idea , but losing proposition is one that readily comes to mind .  

Eventually all will be sold or shutdown , gees I wonder why ! Great idea ! 

We were at Harrisburg outdoor show 3 years ago and there is a Field&Stream store around close business we went to see it . They had some kind of PR , seminar going on inside the gentleman said and I quote ( He always wanted a outdoor hunting and fishing store) The he is founder of Dicks , so the family just rushed and did it with out hesitation. Now reality has hit them. As far as competition with Johnny Morris. Hope thrust gives you a little insight of company.

36 mins ago, PissonDFS said:

We were at Harrisburg outdoor show 3 years ago and there is a Field&Stream store around close business we went to see it . They had some kind of PR , seminar going on inside the gentleman said and I quote ( He always wanted a outdoor hunting and fishing store) The he is founder of Dicks , so the family just rushed and did it with out hesitation. Now reality has hit them. As far as competition with Johnny Morris. Hope thrust gives you a little insight of company.

Huh?

The F and S stores were extremely successful and profitable.  Until the CEO came out against guns and pulled AR's and then hunting from hundreds of Dicks stores.

The gun guys stopped shopping there.  Dicks pretends they decided to get rid of hunting and fishing on their own for SJW reasons but the real reason is they lost the buyers.  Profits plummeted.

Now they pretend they are 'woke' and only after youth sports, golf, and soccer moms.  When some groups boycott nothing happens.  Not even a blip.  When hunters, shooters and anglers boycott you, you are finished.

13 hours ago, Captain Ahab said:

Huh?

I meant to say they open a brand new store in the Harrisburg area so we went . They had some event going on and a guest speaker talking. The original owner died, and always wanted to open a hunting and fishing chains. In America. Like Bass Pro and Cabelas so the family did it in his honor. I feel they really didn’t do there homework on the competition. Sorry for the horrible grammar it I worked for a living outdoors . Thanks