coastalfreak

Problems with the Field and Stream Fishing Department

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

Wanted to get opinions on this to see if it’s just my field and stream or all. 

A F&S opened around my house like a year ago or so...? Anyhow, just got to my car and I just am disappointed in the store. It seems like half of the reels on the display rack are constantly broken. And they’ve been that way for a long time. Stuff mislabeled, poor organization with saltwater stuff, broken rods and such laying around the rod department with the return tags on them, and 80 percent of the staff have literally no idea what they are talking about (my brothers friend worked there and he’s not even an outdoorsman) and they never acknowledge you. 

Are they all like this? Or is this a franchise flaw? 

I’m wondering what you expected from a Big Box retail store in 2019?  Im suprised they even pay employees to be on the floor at all.

If you want service visit a good mom & pop tackle shop and support them.

10 mins ago, RocksMeEasy said:

I’m wondering what you expected from a Big Box retail store in 2019?  Im suprised they even pay employees to be on the floor at all.

If you want service visit a good mom & pop tackle shop and support them.

I agree but there’s not really many near me. Cabelas and Academy near me at least are a 100 percent better. 

Take it for what it is.

They run strange sales.  Sometimes you can go and get Gulp, or Spro bucktails, or in one case the big Magnum Rapalas that I troll offshore, at very good prices.  So you take advantage of that.  When I'm in the neighborhood and have the time to stop, I'll always drop by just to see what promotion they're running.

I don't expect the same sort of variety or quality that I can get on line.  I don't expect some of the specialized local stuff I can get--even if I need to special order--from a shop.  But I can find things that I use at a good enough prive to make stopping by, if not special trips, worthwhile.  If you fish fresh water, the sales can become even more attractive, because more useful stuff often ends up in the baskets.

1 hour ago, coastalfreak said:

A F&S opened around my house like a year ago or so...? Anyhow, just got to my car and I just am disappointed in the store. It seems like half of the reels on the display rack are constantly broken. And they’ve been that way for a long time. Stuff mislabeled, poor organization with saltwater stuff, broken rods and such laying around the rod department with the return tags on them, and 80 percent of the staff have literally no idea what they are talking about (my brothers friend worked there and he’s not even an outdoorsman) and they never acknowledge you. 

The Field and Stream outdoor chains are a very interesting story. You should look it up. BUT still doesn’t give them the excuse of poor employees and merchandise. I support local tackle shops up and down the east coast as much as possible. My personal opinion is send them a email maybe with  sales falling they will get the point . 

Dont worry Dicks is either closing or selling most of them.  Also getting rid of fishing in hundreds of stores.

Support your local shop.

Field & Stream - the hunting and fishing store that is antagonistic towards hunters and indifferent towards fishermen.  Seems like a helluva business plan.  They closed Raleigh-Durham not too long after opening it - Greensboro and another have been bought by Sportsman’s Warehouse.  I don’t see a rosy future for that F&S.  OH

Crap store owned by a crap company. You walk into many Dicks here in NJ and it looks like a bomb went off in the fishing department. The occasional deal yes, but I won't give any F&S or Dicks store my money.

IMO, shop local or at least support a big box store that cares about outdoorsmen and women.

23 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Welcome to large scale retail my dude. It's unfortunate but people just suck. They break things, steal parts, etc and the workers just dont care. If I were making $12 and hour in a big box store with crappy HR and no benefits i wouldnt care either lol. The thing i see all the time, ALL THE TIME in big box stores are rods with broken tips STILL ON THE SHELF. Lmao. Theres a reason real tackle shops keep all the reels behind glass, so nobody's little snot nosed runts can play with them and mishandle them. The big stores dont have the care that smaller shops do. Think overhead as well, who's gonna hurt more from having to replace broken pieces, the smaller shop owned and operated by people who know their stuff and depend on the customers more or the multi million dollar corporation who pumps out a 12ft heavy rod set up with 80lb braid and 10oz stinkers to catch porgies. 

2 hours ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

the multi million dollar corporation who pumps out a 12ft heavy rod set up with 80lb braid and 10oz stinkers to catch porgies. 

Hey, one will never know how big porgies can get.

They are bigger than sea robins and much bigger than Atlantic sheds.

You need right equipment to target  those giant porgies.

:howdy:

14 mins ago, Popasilov said:

Hey, one will never know how big porgies can get.

They are bigger than sea robins and much bigger than Atlantic sheds.

You need right equipment to target  those giant porgies.

:howdy:

That's ok cause no one at F&S or D*** knows what a porgie or a sea robin is.

Posted (edited) · Report post

27 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

That's ok cause no one at F&S or D*** knows what a porgie or a sea robin is.

In all seriousness though, A guy came in asking for a Curado in a certain gear ratio. I was right there listening to the whole conversation between him and the employee. Employee had absolutely no idea what he was talking about and the guy got more and more frustrated (I don’t blame him.) That employee probably doesn’t even know what a baitcaster is. 

27 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Edited by coastalfreak