Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mwhitt80

Thread Question.

Rate this topic

4 posts in this topic

Would a silk work as well as nylon to wrap the guides on a casting rod?

My brother and I have only been building for a couple of years and have built a few rods. We've been playing with the idea of using silk thread, but don't want to invest the time/money if it's a flawed idea from the start. I see it used on fly rods a good bit; I'm not sure I have seen silk used on casting/spinning rods.

Thanks for your time.

It works fine, the fine stuff used on fly rods is a bit easier to break. Being a natural fiber it is clearer under epoxy than nylon, you can see the guide foot, much better, this is because it absorbs more finish in and between the threads. Less stretch means you have to pack it a bit better as burnishing doesn't get the same job done. If you use CP the small density changes in the thread can make it appear blotchy sometimes, Al's Silk CP helps here. No real problems here if you don't use CP.

Edited by spoonplugger1

Thank you and the main reason we want to use it to do an "invisible" wrap on the guide foot.

The three main things I've read are pack it in tight, be more careful about moisture, and watch your tension when wrapping because it will break rather than stretch.

Rod building is a lot like raising kids and being married. It helps to have a information on how not to screw up big, but you don't know s*** until you get in and do it. And you really don't know how well you did until it's too late to fix anything.

A friend asked me to build a rod for him using silk with a golden rod color.  He purchased the silk and color preserver from a fly tackle shop.

The characteristics of silk were as mentioned. Add, the thread was easy to break and tear while wrapping. It would often over wrap itself. 7 of the eight 8 guides turned out ok.

Later, I purchased some silk from Superior Threads. The difference between the tackle shop silk and Superior Threads silk is day and day in that the Superior Thread silk has tighter twists (more turns per inch). Although I have not used it, it should be much easier to wrap guides.

What to look for:

Superior Threads

Tire Silk #30  (30 weight is thicker than 50 weight)

Color #403 Natural

Additionally, I know some rod builders thin their epoxy to assure complete penetration of the epoxy into the silk. For clarity, you should not use CP.

Disclaimer:

I have not done any testing with Superior Threads silk and highly recommend doing at least one test wrap complete with epoxy.

Hope this helps,

Don