fishinambition

Salmon Stocked in 4 NJ Lakes

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

don't think they had much success or returns with the sea run program.

i don't really have an opinion on the landlocked stockings, haven't really fished for them. haven't really fished for trout in the last 25 years or so other than sissysticking a few times year. hoping to change that now the kid is a little order and stripers are a waste of time.

it does seem they did a nice job trying to increase the wild populations we have over the last 6 or 7 years. love the release all brookies and only stocking rainbows now. :th: 

The sea run fishery is very hush hush, and is pretty good if ya know how. I just think the upside is better when it come to stocking fish that will never breed. 

Side note, they've done a helluva job with the passaic river pikes.

The salmo salar river run program in maine was an abject failure and deep abyss of wasted dollars....stocking landlocked a big success though, same species.

1 hour ago, rocco said:

i don't really have an opinion on the landlocked stockings, haven't really fished for them. haven't really fished for trout in the last 25 years or so other than sissysticking a few times year. hoping to change that now the kid is a little order and stripers are a waste of time.

it does seem they did a nice job trying to increase the wild populations we have over the last 6 or 7 years. love the release all brookies and only stocking rainbows now. :th: 

Tim should change the tone of this website and redirect all these wanna be bass men to stocked salmon and trout.  

23 mins ago, HopHead said:

The salmo salar river run program in maine was an abject failure and deep abyss of wasted dollars....stocking landlocked a big success though, same species.

The CT River salmon program was the Big Dig of reintroduction programs.  

5 hours ago, rocco said:

Remember watching Jerry McKinney tv show and him putting up a pic of a sea run taken up in the Manasquan river

5 hours ago, fishinambition said:

The sea run fishery is very hush hush, and is pretty good if ya know how. I just think the upside is better when it come to stocking fish that will never breed. 

Side note, they've done a helluva job with the passaic river pikes.

its hush hush because not many are/were caught. 

at least the fish the put in the lakes and reservoirs will be in there until they are caught or die of old age and won't be swept out into the bay only to be shredded by thug boofish or swallowed whole by striped carps.

the pikes are doing great in the passiac or so lucky and looney have told us. :th: 

don't get me wrong, i wish there was a sea run fishery, i just don't think expecting a good one is realistic. in nj anyway.

4 hours ago, richie c said:

Remember watching Jerry McKinney tv show and him putting up a pic of a sea run taken up in the Manasquan river

I caught a 3 lb steelhead in the Manasquan 30 years ago - bright silver and jumped about ten times - just one rainbow trout that decided to be adventurous :th: 

4 hours ago, rocco said:

don't get me wrong, i wish there was a sea run fishery, i just don't think expecting a good one is realistic. in nj anyway.

In the early 90s I ran into a stocking truck pumping fry into the Mine Creek in Colts Neck. Asked them what they were stocking - they were pumping 400,000 steelhead fry into the river. Never heard of one being caught as

an adult.

Good to hear.  I’ve pulled up a dozen or so landlocked salmon out of waywayanda over the past few years.  Took me a while to get the proper technique.  Trolling deep with very light line and tiny lures.  Worked great for some bruiser brown trout too.