BrianBM

Toughest Unibody for Offroad

23 posts in this topic

The Toyota dealership gent with whom I was dealing, Chris Malerba, mentioned the possibility that the next generation of 4runners will be a unibody design. The comment has stuck in my ear like a flea. Is there, right now, such a thing as a good offroad unibody SUV or light truck on the market? 

A body-on-frame design is traditional. That does not mean that a good unibody design is impossible, merely that it hasn't been done. Or has it?

I'll hit 400 miles on the odometer this weekend, so it's time to start researching my next vehicle. Also, JimP has mentioned that he feels intimidated by body-on-frame machines. When he and I sit down for our brie and chablis party, I'd like to be able to bring him up to speed on this. 

cherokee's are unibodies.  Seen some amazing stuff with them.....

riding in sand and general off roading are two different animals........  I managed to do it with my 2003 ZR2.  I had 2 different sets of tires, one for daiyl driving / beach, and mud tires for offroad.

If the 4runner comes out unibody, It wouldn't phase me one bit on sand.   They already have more ground clearance than they need.  Every year you see less and less new 4 runners on the road.  They do run lumpy compared to other soccer mom mobiles out there..........

The issue with newer SUV / Trucks is when they get stuck.  Damaging bumpers and tow hook spots when getting them out.  Sand is easier to deal with than large rocks, tree trunks, deep mud pits and so on.

Pair of aftermarket bumpers and your likely good to do whatever you want to to that unibody 4runner.  Or, just carry a few extras pieces of wood and don't use a farmer jack on it.......

With folks eyeing comfort and mpg, that ground clearance is bound to be reduced.

Lifting my ZR2 made me loose almost 2mpg.  Your just pumping more air under the car.  turbulence and drag.....

locking center differenital (ie true 4x4) is the main goal.......  Ground clearance is second.   In northeast offroading locking front and rear diffs are a huge plus.....  One wheel in mud, the other trying to go over a big rock....   Sometimes a locking front diff helps your car make a turn in a messy spot offroad, sometimes it just makes it worse..........

Edited by salt deficient

3 hours ago, Drew C. said:

You actually believe that there is possibly could be a shred of truth to anything a car salesman says?

Wanna buy a bridge?

I actually read this online. Also something about a Tacoma/Tundra/4Runner/Sequoia  shared unibody platform. I'm not really sure how that works. It appears to be something they're working on. 

On 12/2/2019 at 11:46 AM, Deepshax said:

uni-bodies prone to twist when towing/getting yanked out of a hole?

Depends on design.  The frame on my F150 was designed to flex and it would if being yanked out of a hole.  Enough to crack the cap.  I've seen others that had windows in caps break.

On 11/7/2019 at 9:40 AM, salt deficient said:

cherokee's are unibodies.  Seen some amazing stuff with them.....

riding in sand and general off roading are two different animals........  I managed to do it with my 2003 ZR2.  I had 2 different sets of tires, one for daiyl driving / beach, and mud tires for offroad.

If the 4runner comes out unibody, It wouldn't phase me one bit on sand.   They already have more ground clearance than they need.  Every year you see less and less new 4 runners on the road.  They do run lumpy compared to other soccer mom mobiles out there..........

The issue with newer SUV / Trucks is when they get stuck.  Damaging bumpers and tow hook spots when getting them out.  Sand is easier to deal with than large rocks, tree trunks, deep mud pits and so on.

Pair of aftermarket bumpers and your likely good to do whatever you want to to that unibody 4runner.  Or, just carry a few extras pieces of wood and don't use a farmer jack on it.......

With folks eyeing comfort and mpg, that ground clearance is bound to be reduced.

Lifting my ZR2 made me loose almost 2mpg.  Your just pumping more air under the car.  turbulence and drag.....

locking center differenital (ie true 4x4) is the main goal.......  Ground clearance is second.   In northeast offroading locking front and rear diffs are a huge plus.....  One wheel in mud, the other trying to go over a big rock....   Sometimes a locking front diff helps your car make a turn in a messy spot offroad, sometimes it just makes it worse..........

You nailed it with 2 points you made. Unibody, body on frame vehicles, who cares you can have either  style but it doesn’t matter as much as :

1- True 4x4 capability with locking differentials. 

2- Good ground clearance can’t stress this enough.  There’s a reason original off-road vehicles like Landcruisers and Jeeps have it. 

Have you guys ever tried driving in the snow with lockers down the highway?  :scared:

I had front and rear lunchbox lockers in my XJ years ago...  Never again...

Anyway, you don't all that fancy shmancy stuff to drive in sand.  Slow and low to 10psi and you'll never get stuck.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

You cant beat the older jeep cherokees. New ones are junk. The new motors are junk too. Theres no way in hell that pentacrap motor is running for 250,000-300,000 miles plus. Endless aftermaket options as well. As super easy to work on if you have minimal skills.  

1 hour ago, DEM Parking Lot said:

Have you guys ever tried driving in the snow with lockers down the highway?  :scared:

I had front and rear lunchbox lockers in my XJ years ago...  Never again...

Anyway, you don't all that fancy shmancy stuff to drive in sand.  Slow and low to 10psi and you'll never get stuck.

Those lunchbox lockers are ok. Rather have the eaton trutrac!