Dumprdog

Delaware River help

21 posts in this topic

I am a South Jersey resident looking for some help on the Delaware, around the Lambertville area. I own a jet motor and have experience on the Susquehanna but have never fished the Delaware. I would like to know about ramps, and any areas I should worry about concerning running the boat. Are river level gauges available and at what level am I fairly safe to run the big motor. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Randy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

There are ramps at Yardley ( PA side ), Firemans Eddy, Lambertville, Bulls Island, Byram, Kingwood, and Upper Black Eddy ( PA side ). 

 

Trenton water gauge: 

 

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/usa/nwis/uv?01463500

 

Lambertville:

 

https://waterdata.usgs.gov/nj/nwis/uv/?site_no=01462000&PARAmeter_cd=00065,63160,00060,62614,62615

 

Can't help you too much on running the motor. I can only tell you at or around 9 feet on the Trenton gauge you can find places that you can walk a crossed the river from NJ to PA. 

 

 

Edited by PhilCVG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the information. I will be watching the guages. I just wish I lived closer to see exactly what the readings mean relative to actual depth. I have fished the Susquehanna but recently have decided to find places closer to home and the Delaware seems a good choice. Like all rivers it is necessary to fish them to actually learn how they play, like what is the best level as far as running the boat and how the bass react to the current height.  I appreciate the help. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the offer, I have looked for ways to contact you but haven't found an email address. Apparently there is a 15 post mandate before privileges are bestowed on us newbies. Until then I will be looking for forum subjects to which I can reply. I will be in touch when that happens.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/14/2019 at 10:31 AM, tgrabowski said:

Feel free to contact me in private on help with the Delaware River gauges and what's fishable water.

 

You will need to offer 15 replies to topics before I can privately message you. I do not know the specific rules on listing email addresses, but I'd bet it isn't permitted. We could just banter back and forth on this subject until the requirements are met. But until the requirements are met your knowledge will remain secret, at least from me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to live in Titusville right on the water. Like Phil said you can launch mostly from the PA side. Titusville has a great ramp in a prime section of water but I believe you need to be a Tisusville resident to use it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

J B Kasper used to sell a fishing map of the Delaware and also had a book about fishing the Delaware.  Lot's of good info on launches, hot spots, damns, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Steve_in_PA said:

J B Kasper used to sell a fishing map of the Delaware and also had a book about fishing the Delaware.  Lot's of good info on launches, hot spots, damns, etc.

Thanks Steve, I have found the hook online but not the map. I am currently looking for updated versions as the ones I have found are dated 1994. Needless to say a river can change immensely in 25 years, not to mention the addition or loss of ramps in that time frame. But by the same token, anything I get is more than I now know. Thanks again Randy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, Dumprdog said:

Thanks Steve, I have found the hook online but not the map. I am currently looking for updated versions as the ones I have found are dated 1994. Needless to say a river can change immensely in 25 years, not to mention the addition or loss of ramps in that time frame. But by the same token, anything I get is more than I now know. Thanks again Randy

Kasper used to guide on the Delaware.  Not sure if he still does.  He used to put on seminars at local outdoor shows and even community colleges.  I attended some back in the early 90s.  He may show up at the Oaks Outdoor show next year.  I have the map but it is copyrighted which I respect.  You might check EBAY to see if there is a reseller of the map.

Also if the book was updated it may have a WEB address or phone number for him to see if the map is still in print.

It's worth some effort to get it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 mins ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Kasper used to guide on the Delaware.  Not sure if he still does.  He used to put on seminars at local outdoor shows and even community colleges.  I attended some back in the early 90s.  He may show up at the Oaks Outdoor show next year.  I have the map but it is copyrighted which I respect.  You might check EBAY to see if there is a reseller of the map.

Also if the book was updated it may have a WEB address or phone number for him to see if the map is still in print.

It's worth some effort to get it.

Will Google the Oaks Outdoor Show. I have been to the Harrisburg Show a few times and enjoyed the event, it is, however 3 hours away and makes for a long day unless staying overnight. Lots of outfitters and vendors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/23/2019 at 10:38 AM, Dumprdog said:

Will Google the Oaks Outdoor Show. I have been to the Harrisburg Show a few times and enjoyed the event, it is, however 3 hours away and makes for a long day unless staying overnight. Lots of outfitters and vendors.

Just found that Kasper is on Facebook.  Check for J-B-Kasper-Outdoors.

I'm not on facebook.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Steve_in_PA said:

Just found that Kasper is on Facebook.  Check for J-B-Kasper-Outdoors.

I'm not on facebook.

Thanks Steve. I found him the other day and sent an IM, he replied and has 2 books he has writtten. Now if he would only get back to me with payment info I'd get this done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/22/2019 at 8:23 PM, Dumprdog said:

Auce, thanks. I will look into this. The only Titusville I know of is on the Allegheny, it too is in a prime stretch of that river.

I think he is referring to Titusville NJ which is by Washington's Crossing.

I used to fish in the Frenchtown area.  My current boat is V hull and heavy so it isn't good above Trenton.

I don't remember gauge heights.

Most people I know that fish the river tend to fish Stockton to Riegelsville.

You might want to check out the launch at Bull Island.

There are wing dams that limit how far you can go in each stretch which I think Kasper's books describe.

There also used to be canoe maps of the river that also can be used to locate thin water and deeper runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.